hideous hymns, vocal vicars and theatrical thuribles. Religious Chat Thread Number 6!

(1000 Posts)
nickelbabe Sun 17-Feb-13 19:24:28

Welcome to the Religion Chat thread.
We're mostly Christians, but all are welcome.
a lovely soace to talk about church life, spiritual journeys and stuff in general.
It's not about debate, it's about chat.
Come oldies and newbies!

this is the previous thread

nickelbabe Sat 02-Mar-13 12:28:33

aw, lovely you, reassuring me before updating on your op! shock

nickelbabe Sat 02-Mar-13 12:32:10

well, a lot of how i am stems from being bullied as a child. it really didn't help that my parents used to make it out like it was all my fault hmm

I also have times where everything goes swimmingly for ages, and i feel confident and not-awkward, then something will happen, or someone will say something (usually accidental) and i'll crash and it'll feel like the end of the world and that i'm completely worthless and unloveable.
sad

how freaky being awake while they did it! hope you recover (back to normal at least) in optimum time (quickly is not what i want to say, because quickly isnt always the best)

nickelbabe Sat 02-Mar-13 12:33:38

alto friend has posted on fb today: is off the ventilator and holding his own, but very weak.
had to tell choir last night and they are understanably very upset. altohusband is such a lovely bloke, we all wish him a speedy recovery.

jaynebxl Sun 03-Mar-13 14:03:51

I remember reading His Image My Image a long time ago too. I can commend it, Nickel.
Glad alto husband is better.
I'm feeling a bit frustrated today. We had an offer accepted on a bigger house in our village 8 weeks ago, accepted an offer on our house a week later and since then nothing has happened. The people we are buying from are waiting for things to move forward with the house they are buying and so we are all just hanging around. People keep telling me moving house takes a long time but we haven't even got to the point where it all starts taking lots of time yet! In the meantime I just keep falling over stuff here and don't feel like making any big organisational changes cos we are supposed to be moving house!

niminypiminy Sun 03-Mar-13 21:55:43

Jayne hope things start to move on the house soon -- it's so frustrating, isn't it? We're hoping to move this year but we have to wait for an ominous crack to be mended before we can even start getting the house tarted up, and we can't get it mended until a man from the insurance comes and says that it can be mended... We may be here forever.

MHD I am so glad to hear the op went ok. I've been worrying praying for you.

nickel angry at your parents!

I led the all age service today, and it was completely chaotic. But there was a brilliant moment in the middle when some of the older children read out the intercessions they'd written, and the younger ones led the responses with a signed response they'd learned. It was really moving!

jaynebxl Sun 03-Mar-13 22:20:06

Thanks niminy. Love the signed response! Do you do a lot of that at your church?

nickelbabe Sun 03-Mar-13 22:39:56

yes, he really seems tobe on the mend now.
still praying.

NVW took the service today. she was wonderful - so clearly spoken and calm too. she just seemed to know exactly what she was doing the whole way through. lovely.

thank you niminy- thankfully I know it's not, but it just sticks in my head. well, ookay, I probably do believe that too, otherwise why would it stick so much? like, could I have done this or said it like this etc. no wonder I say nothing then blurt it all out!

niminypiminy Mon 04-Mar-13 12:49:30

nickel NVW sounds great. Have you invited her to the shop for coffee?

jayne I'm trying to introduce more stuff with signs/actions as it's a great way of helping young children (especially if like ours their language is often not very well developed) to learn liturgy. So we do the Lord's Prayer with actions, and I'm gradually adding more things. It's fun -- actually the adults like doing the Lord's Prayer actions too.

nickelbabe Mon 04-Mar-13 12:59:33

not yet - I will get the courage eventually.
maybe when they're not so new, as i'm sure everyone else is grabbing their attention. I think it'll be nice to give them a bit of space.

NV was at Busy Bees this morning chatting to people.

nickelbabe Mon 04-Mar-13 13:03:39

niminy best Lord's prayer ever is the caribbean one.
there's a bit missing on this video, but it's the hideous book and other hymn books

we used to do it at school.

jaynebxl Mon 04-Mar-13 13:05:20

Woo hoo just heard this morning that the people we are buying from have decided to go into rented housing because nothing was moving forward very fast! So ... The process begins in earnest!

nickelbabe Mon 04-Mar-13 13:48:05

grin

relief!

MadHairDay Tue 05-Mar-13 11:09:46

Good news Jayne!

nickel, have been thinking of you a lot after what you said. Words can be so damaging can't they sad I hate seeing dd go through similar now with kids at school saying stuff that goes in. Why are people so vile sometimes??? Don't believe the words, nickel...

nickelbabe Tue 05-Mar-13 12:26:46

people can be vile.
i never realised it would stick with me through my whole life, though.

MadHairDay Fri 08-Mar-13 11:14:54

Where is everyone? You're all being quiet.

Hope you are ok nickel. read your fb status. Thinking of you.

Not too well again here. it sucks sometimes this thing

nickelbabe Fri 08-Mar-13 11:42:19

thanks smile
yeah, it's tough.
even worse that I had to fiddle with numbers in the week of World Book Day! what was I thinking ?!
I could have left it till next week, or even until I had finished the tax year, but no! I wanted to know now what my deficit was: i wanted to work out how much extra I had to take every day.
didn't realise that I had to make up £6000 in a month

And I've had school classes in every day this week (well, since Wednesday), and they've spent loads of money, but it's nowhere near enough to make a difference.
So, I go "yeay grin, lots of takings, lots of books sold" then "oh no sad sad not £6000"

MadHairDay Fri 08-Mar-13 12:11:07

sad

nickelbabe Fri 08-Mar-13 13:15:15

i also replied to an email from the pcc secretary, in which reply I swore (i only said bloody), but someone pointed out it might put me in a bad light, so i've got to apologise for it.
sad

niminypiminy Fri 08-Mar-13 13:18:15

Nickel would you do mail order? We spend loads of money on children's books (in fact on books in general) and I'd rather buy them from you than from an evil non-taxpaying Internet conglomerate. At the moment I am buying picture books for my church. I'd love to buy some from you. Would that be possible? (Not £6000 worth, though, sadly)

nickelbabe Fri 08-Mar-13 13:25:15

I do mail order smile
and i'd do anything for you grin

If you pop me an email of what you want, I'll price it up and order at your request (i do charge cover price, but not postage)
I don't know if I'm allowed to put my email on here, so I'll put it in a PM. thanks

nickel do you accept the world book day vouchers ? Do you get advantage from them? If yes, I'll get at book from you! I'll pay postage! smile

hiddenhome Fri 08-Mar-13 16:32:29

Hi everyone smile

ds2 has his first confession tomorrow. We then go for breakfast at the parish centre. I plucked up courage and went to confession yesterday and feel loads better grin

niminypiminy Fri 08-Mar-13 17:23:54

hiddenhome that's great (about your ds's first confession and about yours)

nickel will pm you later!

Jaynebxl Fri 08-Mar-13 17:31:15

Nickel I'm sorry to hear about your business. Times are really hard for small businesses, aren't they?

nickelbabe Fri 08-Mar-13 18:24:45

bluetinkerbell yes, I do accept the vouchers. the only benefit for me is repeatcustomxand awareness (which is why I get annoyed with people in my town using them at smiths and then going "oh I didn't know you took them!confused] what, you mean you didn't see the massive window with a world bookday display yelling *spend your token here" hmm
daft sods grin

I can do you an order, just email me smile

still hoping for that miracle. grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.