So the Pope's resigned!

(9 Posts)
JakeBullet Wed 13-Feb-13 13:06:15

Yeah technodad, the Vatican is out of touch with reality tbh......and I think the grass roots know it. I am very anti the advice regarding contraception and I think they are wrong. I also have no problem saying so. I think they have backtracked a bit regarding condoms with the Pope saying last year that in an emergency to prevent disease (so that's every time then) they could be used. The papers went wild and stared saying "Pope says contraception is okay" after hitch they backtracked furiously again. Our local Priest says they have backed themselves into a corner now....I think he is right.

technodad Wed 13-Feb-13 13:01:39

As much peace as those African men, women and children who suffer from AIDS because their faith tells them not to use condoms? Or proper peace?

JakeBullet Tue 12-Feb-13 21:01:02

I think he has made the right decision and hopefully sets a precedent. I a, also hoping they will elect a less hard line theologian next time as well ... But thinking "fat chance".

Hoping he can live out the rest of his life in peace.

sciencelover Tue 12-Feb-13 20:58:38

And the Catholic would answer that maybe he was meant to serve for only a few years. I don't think the Pope is chosen by God (as I'm not Catholic), but I also don't think that being chosen by God necessarily means he intends you to serve in the position for life.

I hope he enjoys his last years.

technodad Tue 12-Feb-13 19:18:34

If he was chosen by god, did god make a mistake, or does the current pope know better than god or is it that god just doesn't exist?

Tuo Tue 12-Feb-13 18:07:44

Celestine V resigned in 1294, but he was pushed...

Hasn't happened for 600 years according to the Beeb earlier today.

hiddenhome Mon 11-Feb-13 16:48:38

Yes, they can do that although it's quite rare.

I feel very sorry for him. I think it has been a heavy burden for him and not something that he really ever welcomed. I hope they elect someone younger and Pope Benedict lives out the remainder of his life in peace smile

Moominsarehippos Mon 11-Feb-13 16:33:23

I though they couldn't do that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now