Religious Retreats...

(37 Posts)
RubyGates Wed 23-Jan-13 14:24:10

Suggestions, recommendations or other advice please!

I'm a high-church Anglican married to a Catholic with more experience of the Catholic liturgy than the Anglican.

I have come to realise that I need a short absolute break from my life, and would prefer to do this in an environment where I can try and re-find my link to God.

So I'm looking for any and all of your experiences and recommendations if you've ever done a self-booked (rather than Church-booked) retreat at a Convent/Monatery.Retreat Centre.

I'm not averse to an ecumenical experience, but my preference is for a tambourine-free/non-happy-clappy environment. (If those things get you closer to God, then please don't take it as an insult that they do nothing for my spirituality.)

RubyGates Fri 01-Feb-13 15:17:19

Thank you for all your help.
Alas, OH's job was axed yesterday, so there will be no retreat for me until our finances are back on kilter.

Sunnywithshowers Sat 02-Feb-13 14:39:23

I'm sorry to hear that Ruby - I hope he finds a new role soon.

RubyGates Sat 02-Feb-13 16:55:53

Thank You Sunny

JourneyThroughLife Sat 02-Feb-13 17:18:39

I've been for several retreats at Wantage, outside Oxford....very beautiful and the sisters very welcoming. They are willing for visitors to quietly chill out or join in as much as they wish, including going to all the offices, some of which are at 4am (but you really don't have to, the choice is entirely yours!) You can also ask to have personal interviews with the sisters, they will assign someone to you if you wish and she will talk over anything which is troubling you. The place is Anglican but fairly high church, no tabourines!

aig Sun 03-Feb-13 07:23:31

My suggestions: Fairacres is an Anglican convent in Oxford: it is a silent order and they have a small guest house (~ 3 rooms) as well as two bungalows which book up early. This is their website www.slg.org.uk/

Alton Abbey: an Anglican male Benedictine order, not totally silent. www.altonabbey.org.uk/

I have stayed at both and like them both.

aig Sun 03-Feb-13 07:24:39

I forgot to say: both have lots of plainsong and a bit of incense. Probably never tambourines...

When you're ready to start planning your retreat again, if you want to know anything about Ampleforth Abbey and Monastery just PM me. They're Benedictine, it's beautiful, the monks are inspiring and fascinating and it's generally an incredible place.

jaynebxl Sun 03-Feb-13 08:09:52

I've been to Ashburnham and can recommend that.

Also if anyone is interested in finding out more about labyrinths I've done this online version just for my own reflection.
www.labyrinth.org.uk/onlinelabyrinthpage1.html

jaynebxl Sun 03-Feb-13 08:26:19

When I say I've done it, I mean I've followed it, not that I created it, just to clarify!

RubyGates Mon 04-Feb-13 11:30:43

This thread is such a useful resource. I'm really grateful for all your input, and I think I'll be needing my retreat even more by the time OH is back in employment.

You've all been so helpful. Thankyou smile

RuckAndRoll Wed 06-Feb-13 10:20:48

I'm coming to this thread a little late, but finances don't necessarily have to be a factor on retreats. one place I went charged nothing for room and food but were open as to how much it cost them to run the place a day. there was a tiny box hidden away for donations and no one knew how much or little you gave. they would rather you went than not.

the place I love is lindisfarne island, once the tide comes in and it's cut off it's so peaceful.

on a slight side, thanks for this thread, I'm looking for a retreat this year and it's given me some ideas. unfortunately our church one is in the middle of no where when i'll be 38wks pregnant!

frustratedashell Mon 11-Feb-13 00:45:57

Ive been to St Cuthmans, its in Coolham near Horsham in Sussex. Its quite reasonable, the food is great and its a lovely old house. They have optional prayers twice a day. You can join in or do your own thing.
Sorry to hear about your DH job. Hope you manage to get to a retreat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now