Urgent - hamster vanished from cage!!!

(12 Posts)
BlueLagoonz Wed 27-Nov-13 21:59:19

Yesterday we brought home the school hamster. Last night we left it in it's cage and now it has vanished into thin air! I am not sure if my 2 boys (4 and 8) have done anything (they deny it) but this morning it is nowhere to be seen. We live in an apartment so it can't have escaped into a garden and all the doors are shut. However, it is gone! I have turned the cage upside down and it is definitely NOT inside. It is 0600 where I live.

Any ideas??????

LegoCaltrops Wed 27-Nov-13 22:09:50

This happened to my Dsis once.

Get a bucket, fill a few inches with shredded newspaper. Put a few hamper treats in the bucket. Get a length of wood, something wide enough for the hamster to walk along, & long enough that it could make a 'walkway' from the floor to the lip of the bucket. Fix it on so it doesn't fall in the night & cause a hamster tragedy. Put one or two hamster treats on the walkway. Leave.

Hopefully, in the morning, the hamster will have walked up the walkway, fallen into the bucket, & be safe.

Can't make any promises but this worked for my Dsis.

LegoCaltrops Wed 27-Nov-13 22:11:22

Maybe do a couple - just realised you're short of time!

MacaYoniandCheese Wed 27-Nov-13 22:14:40

Get down on your hands and knees and examine the floors for tiny poops. When ours escaped, he had made a nest (with Barbie clothes and board game pieces) behind a bookshelf...two floors away from his cage. I found him by following a trail of poop he'd left on the carpet.

poorbuthappy Wed 27-Nov-13 22:15:01

Behind the cooker or fridge. Always.

BlueLagoonz Wed 27-Nov-13 22:38:12

Poor little hamster. My 2 boys are devastated and have to go to school now with the agony of knowing poor Princess Leia is missing. I have told them not to tell anyone at school so they don't get bullied or the teacher goes nuts!! Hopefully s/he will surface. It will be morning here soon and hopefully it will wake up looking for breakfast.
Our first pet ever, had it one night and it is lost!!!
blush

God I know your pain - I've had a lost hamster in the house before.

Main thing is being confident that it is definitely in the house.

Are there any holes??!! (check in kitchen especially - can it get behind any kitchen units?)

I'd go round all the edges at floor level, systematically in each room. The hamster is probably asleep somewhere if its morning, so listening out for it won't be so helpful.

Check in dark places - behind wardrobes.

I lost our hamster for about 2 hours - in the end I gave up looking and started MNing because I couldn't go to sleep (it was after midnight by then) and then spotted the hamster coming down the stairs in the corner of my eye! But at least it was night-time - definitely hamster-moving-around-time.

If you don't spot it in the day - at least you have a chance once it is moving around in the evening again.

Hope you find it soon!

DoingTheSwanThing Wed 27-Nov-13 23:04:52

Most likely to be hiding behind whichever piece of furniture will be most inconvenient to move. DM once retrieved mine at 2am after emptying massive bookcase and unscrewing from wall. Good luck!!

BlueLagoonz Wed 27-Nov-13 23:55:30

I just found it behind a very yucky fridge hmm I do not know how on earth it got out and how I am going to do it again!

BlueLagoonz Wed 27-Nov-13 23:56:14

how I am going to stop it doing it again. I only have it till Monday. Not sure if it will make it alive!!!

Yay! I'm so pleased you found it! What a relief, I hope your boys are pleased?

I guess there are two options how it got out:

1. human error - though not admitting to it, one of your DSs left its cage-door open or forgot to put the hamster back etc. In which case, it won't happen again after this scare!

2. there's something wrong with the cage. Check whether the cage door (s) is loose at all - could the hamster push it open? Tie it shut with something that won't hurt the hamster if it nibbles on it!! And tell the teacher on Monday if the cage is not working.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now