How much to pay friend for looking after pets

(9 Posts)
SisterMerror Sat 14-Sep-13 19:17:52

How much would you pay a friend to look after your pets while you went on holiday? It will involve two visits a day to my house which is about a mile round trip away from his house. Once he is here it will take him about 10 minutes to deal with the pets on each of the two visits.

On 10 of the 14 days he'll be passing my house in the morning so it doesn't mean him making a special trip, but he'll still need to make a special trip in the evening.

He hasn't asked for any payment but I would feel much better if I paid something as it will obviously take up some time in his day. I thought I'd bring him a gift back from my holiday and also give him an envelope with x pounds per day in it. What should the x be?

BOF Sat 14-Sep-13 19:19:42

Not dogs, are they? <just checking>

SisterMerror Sat 14-Sep-13 19:24:24

They're not dogs BOF. Why? Have you been asked to look after someone's dogs and thought I might be talking about you? grin

They're chickens which will need letting out in the morning and locking away in the evening. There are also two guinea pigs and a rabbit which will need feeding.

FernieB Sat 14-Sep-13 19:55:05

It's difficult paying friends. I would offer to pay his petrol and then a gift a nice bottle or two of something.

BOF Sat 14-Sep-13 20:48:29

No, I was just checking you wouldn't leave dogs that long- I'm a softie grin

I'd just go with a really nice gift. Does he smoke? A sleeve of fags always goes down well if so.

ExitPursuedByADragon Sat 14-Sep-13 20:51:40

Eggs. And wine.

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 14-Sep-13 20:55:22

Neighbour's 13 year old DD fed my cats twice a day for a week and I gave her £30 - no idea if that was right or not but her parents thought it was too much.

Would have taken her 5 mins tops twice a day.

SisterMerror Sun 15-Sep-13 09:04:00

Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to tell him he can take all the eggs from the chickens, also going to buy him a couple of bottles and offer to put fuel in his car. I agree that paying friends is difficult!

obviouslyneedsupernanny Sun 15-Sep-13 10:47:14

That's nice of you but I'm sure he would appreciate a gift from your holiday. I think it would be awkward giving him money

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now