Cats and allergies

(5 Posts)
Rosesarebeautiful Tue 03-Sep-13 13:57:04

I posted similar over in allergies.

I'm trying to get a pet cat for my children. Trouble is 2 children & DH are prone to allergies. DH is definitely still allergic to cats

I see that Balinese cats and Siberian cats may well be suitable. Does anyone know of breeders in Scotland?

We live in the North of Scotland & most breeders seem to be in England & often in the South of England. It's not that convenient to travel now school is back in

Thanks

ToffeeWhirl Tue 03-Sep-13 14:10:08

So sorry, I don't know of any breeders in Scotland, but I can confirm that I showed absolutely no sign of allergy to my beautiful Balinese kitten after having been allergic to cats throughout my life. I bought some PetalCleanse to wipe down the kitten's fur and prevent allergic reactions, but never needed it.

If possible, your DH and children should spend a bit of time with the adult cats before committing to buying though. I spent about an hour with Balinese cats and was astonished that I didn't have any asthma or weepy eyes.

Also, I recommend you ask about breeders over on the Litter Tray topic, as there are lots of very knowledgeable people over there. I wish I had done that before buying our Balinese kitten, which, unfortunately, turned out to be unwell and died after a couple of months. I wouldn't like anyone else to have to go through this.

Rosesarebeautiful Tue 03-Sep-13 15:00:08

Thank you, that's very helpful. I'll have a look at the litter tray topic.

ToffeeWhirl Tue 03-Sep-13 16:53:39

And I will be very jealous if you manage to get a Balinese kitten before me grin. (We have to wait another four months, unfortunately).

Bodicea Mon 30-Sep-13 21:06:46

I have had a siberian, he has recently passed away and have already put my name down for a kitten. After having a siberian I am hooked and in love with the breed and they are great for allergies.
Just don't get a Neva masquerade as been told be a few breeders they aren't so good for allergies.
Can't help you on Scottish breeders but there are a few in the north of England xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now