Would a fox attack (heaven forbid, eat) a cat?

(59 Posts)

Dh and I have just seen an enormous fox in our garden - a real whopper size-wise. My concern is for our two cats who are only 10 months old and often spend the night outside, certainly all evening. Are they in danger from the fox or would a fox not attack cats?

Thomcat Wed 26-Apr-06 20:36:04

Never heard of it happening before.

Me neither but he was a monster and one of our cats is very small.

macwoozy Wed 26-Apr-06 20:37:16

I don't know about cats, but I watched my little yorkshire terrier being chased down the road by a fox, the fox never caught up but I hate to think what he would have done if it had.

starlover Wed 26-Apr-06 20:37:36

I wouldn't think so... foxes tend to go for smaller animals... plus cats are pretty good at getting away!

SoupDragon Wed 26-Apr-06 20:38:22

Unfortunately yes. Happened to a neighbour's cat when I lived at home.

Generally speaking it's not a problem as they are roughly the same size. My neighbours cat was small though.

MrsStrutsHerStuff Wed 26-Apr-06 20:38:29

not sure but they attack rabbits and chickens and lambs so my first thought is yes a fox would attack a cat if it was near it, but sure someone will be here to tell you for definite

CHICagoMUM Wed 26-Apr-06 20:38:45

Sorry to say but yes it can happen. The place where we lived before here had foxes around and 2 of my neighbours lost their cats to fox attacks (neither of them where eaten though).

Thomcat Wed 26-Apr-06 20:38:45

Ahhhh bless your teeny tiny cat
I'm sure he'll be fine hon. x

My cat is really getting on my nerves so perhaps I'll send him round to your as bait and see what happens

NotAnOtter Wed 26-Apr-06 20:39:09

my dp is a vet..he says yes possibly ...he has treated a yorkshire terrier who was attacked by one

Thomcat Wed 26-Apr-06 20:39:33

oh, people were busy while I was typing my last post.
ohhh, sorry mate.

Bugsy2 Wed 26-Apr-06 20:40:04

A fox could definitely attack a cat, but foxes can't climb fences & trees like cats can - so unlikely that the fox would have much success.

MrsStrutsHerStuff Wed 26-Apr-06 20:40:13

also my aunts whole flock of geese were wiped out by a single fox, and my aunts geese were pretty good at protecting her farm

foxinsocks Wed 26-Apr-06 20:40:14

yes - the fox didn't actually eat the whole cat but he took a bite out of it

CHICagoMUM Wed 26-Apr-06 20:40:54

That doesn't mean to say it will happen though. Feel bad

CHICagoMUM Wed 26-Apr-06 20:40:55

CHICagoMUM Wed 26-Apr-06 20:40:59

NotAnOtter Wed 26-Apr-06 20:40:59

good thinking bugsy!

CHICagoMUM Wed 26-Apr-06 20:41:03

CHICagoMUM Wed 26-Apr-06 20:41:13

That doesn't mean to say it will happen though. Feel bad now that I have worried/upset you.

NotAnOtter Wed 26-Apr-06 20:41:48

alright alright!

MrsStrutsHerStuff Wed 26-Apr-06 20:42:06

thing is with foxes they will attack and kill for no good reason, they go for the throat

CHICagoMUM Wed 26-Apr-06 20:42:23

Sorry, no idea what happened there .

OMG! We do usually get them in before going up to bed at night but sometimes they just don't come when called and as they have got older, I have become less bothered about them being in. (No cat flap yet). But now I am going to have to get strict again aren't I?

There was no way this fox was about the same size as any cat I have seen. It was at least mdeium dog sized.

my cat tried to scare a fox out of our garden when she was about 3 months old. she was a tiny weeny thing then. fox didnt even think she was worth sniffing, carried on munching the cat food i had put out for it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now