I was sat

(29 Posts)
msrisotto Fri 18-Oct-13 19:29:07

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! It is driving me absolutely up the wall. My DH has either just started making this particular grammatical error, or I have only recently started noticing it. I am not allowed to correct him anymore.
Worse than this though, is the fecking Telegraph who have just published it in this otherwise vaguely interesting piece that I now cannot finish.

AlexaChelsea Wed 23-Oct-13 22:08:49

HATE this.

It's as bad as 'the machine needs plugging in' or 'the wall needs painting'

NO

TheYamiOfYawn Wed 23-Oct-13 22:15:02

It's not the dialect I grew up speaking, but I've been living in Yorkshire for the past 20 years, and it's perfectly valid local dialect.

edam Thu 24-Oct-13 20:24:31

YYY Falsewidow, where do these soft southerners get the idea that a Yorkshire dialect involves lots of stray 't' sounds?

I don't know the technical linguistic term for the thing they are trying - inaccurately - to reproduce, but it is not a stray 't'!

FalseWidow Thu 24-Oct-13 21:38:18

I think edam that they think it's how we say 'the'. DH is unfortunately a southern softie and delights in trying to impersonate (my relatively mild) Yorkshire accent (he wouldn't understand a bloody word of someone from Barnsley! neither can I ) by saying things like
"Have you got owt for t' dinner, then?" or something equally ludicrous.

I think (though I haven't given this as much consideration as I would like) the only time I might say something like 't' is in conjunction with 'to' - e.g. "I am going tuh pub." where tuh is a combination of 'to' and 'the' and they sort of get merged together ... not 'the' on its own. Any other examples though? I may be wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now