Practice or Practise

(12 Posts)

The thread was about Aussie English. An MNer said that in her part of the US they use both. Here's the link from the thread:

Here

LiberalPedant Fri 04-Oct-13 20:59:23

Miranda Do you have a link to that thread? I really don't think that there are many instances of the distinction used in US English today. I think that it would not necessarily be wrong, but it would be unusual.

This is interesting:

books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=practiced%2Cpractised&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=5&smoothing=3

But in the 'standard' US usage, practise isn't recognised. (recognized grin )

Liberal - we had this discussion on here a while back. Apparently there are big areas of the US that still use both practice and practise.

LiberalPedant Fri 04-Oct-13 16:10:35

I think it is interesting that American English preserves the advise/advice and device/devise distinctions, but not practice/practise. I think the reason is that, in the other pairings, the words are pronounced differently, but practice/practise are pronounced the same.

Cooroo Wed 02-Oct-13 23:47:26

Devise/device is a similar pairing. Refuse is pronounced differently if it is a noun or a verb but the spelling is the same. Must be more!

Advise & advice is my way of remembering it too. Just substitute in your head. Ds is [advising] the piano = practising. He has to do his piano [advice] = piano practice.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 29-Sep-13 19:40:33

Thank you. DN is doing joined up writing. He calls it joint writing!!!

Greythorne Sun 29-Sep-13 14:55:33

Think of advice (noun) and advise (verb) and you will never get it wrong.

LiberalPedant Sun 29-Sep-13 14:54:09

I read on another thread that an easy way to remember the difference is that "ice" is a noun and "practice" has ice in it.

BTW, the distinction is not used in US English; it is "practice" for both.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Sun 29-Sep-13 12:31:21

You have it nailed!

Come and do your piano practiCe.
A doctor's practiCe Costs a lot to set up.
PractiSe Singing every day.
PractiCe makes perfeCt.
I muSt practiSe my lineS.

PS I'd say, Joined up writing.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 29-Sep-13 10:56:06

I probably asked this before but I've forgotten what is correct.
I know practise is a verb
Practice is a noun.
Is it 'Do some piano practice or 'do some piano practise'
Is it 'Practise your writing' - ( I think this is right) or 'Practice your writing'
A doctor's practice. ?
He is practising medicene.
Aghhhh, so difficult.
Is it joined writing or joint writing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now