Raising a pedant

(16 Posts)

DS (6.5) asked me, 'When exactly should you use a semi-colon, because I see them all the time?'

Dismissing the idea that he sounded like the little boy in The Sixth Sense (I see semi-colons... all the time.') I gave a vague explanation and then furtively googled semi-colon usage. The next day I carefully explained it to him, whereupon he said, 'I know - I asked my teacher.'

Does he have the makings of a good pedant, do you think? Oh, I would be so proud! Imagine the Georgian family annual newsletter: which we don't do This year, Mini Georgian mastered the art of the semi-colon; we have had a high old time finding him examples to correct!

Ha-ha!

DomesticCEO Fri 15-Feb-13 14:40:23

grin

PigeonPie Sat 16-Feb-13 20:20:47

You should be very proud grin

streakybacon Sun 17-Feb-13 07:44:40

Mine got into trouble at school around that age, for pointing out that his teacher had written a semi-colon incorrectly on the board. She'd put the comma bit at the top shock and he told her it should be the other way around. She argued with him for a few minutes until the TA confirmed that he was right.
<proud but narked>

DrRanj Sun 17-Feb-13 07:46:52

Oh my giddy aunt, a TEACHER put the comma above the full stop?! Whatever is the world coming to! shock

streakybacon Sun 17-Feb-13 09:48:14

Sadly it just one of many such incidents. We home educate now and he can be as pedantic as he likes grin.

I dream of my baby growing up to be a pedant. His father and I bonded by correcting each others' emails when we were courting.

YokoUhOh Sun 17-Feb-13 10:12:19

Elphaba umm I think it's each other's ('other' acts as a singular noun) smile (are we allowed to correct each other in Pedants' Corner?)

Balls. I did look over that several time and wonder if I'd got it wrong.

Thank you <bows deferentially>

grin

TIMES. Arse.

YokoUhOh Sun 17-Feb-13 10:27:46

Oh god I feel horrible now! sad it's a funny one, I had to think about it. PS If my DS (14 weeks) doesn't show signs of being a pedant soon, I'll be forced to start intensive SPG coaching ;)

I spotted it too, Yoko!

My DH said the other day:
"That's not pedantry it's just being accurate with the facts."

No hope for my DCs grin

OhBananas Sun 17-Feb-13 18:55:13

When dd was about 4, we were on holiday and I was taking photos of the things she asked me to take. She was pointing out a flower and telling me how beautiful it was.

Me: Do you need me to take a photo of it?

DD: I don't need you to take a photo. I would like you to take a photo.

I am so proud grin

OhBananas, your dad is a gem!

My little boy, at the age of three, no less, corrected me (and still does) on the way I pronounce h.
"no, mummy, it's aitch"
At the age of bloody three! His name does begin with H, but still!

Not dad - dd! Must look into how to turn off autocorrect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now