Apostrophes in school

(16 Posts)
JessieMcJessie Sat 09-Feb-13 02:36:25

Any update OP?

WMittens Wed 06-Feb-13 12:26:54

I agree with somebloke123; the whole comma abuse issue which is commonplace is just being reinforced by incorrect use in education.

Also echo what SignoraStronza and JessieMcJessie said*.

*Typed? Put? Declared?

JessieMcJessie Wed 06-Feb-13 05:34:23

Please come back and tell us what she said. I think she's wrong, and she meant that each kid is a "Sunshine" so it's either labelled "Sunshines" as a simple declaration of who the box is for, or it should be "Sunshines' " as in the box belonging to the Sunshines. Think how toilets are labelled- either Ladies' or Ladies, Gents or Gents'.

Jossysgiants Thu 24-Jan-13 23:50:14

I agree cumfy that there are multiple possible interpretations. However only if the structure used matches the intended meaning is it really correct.

SignoraStronza Thu 24-Jan-13 22:25:25

Surely if it refers to the possession of the books by a particular group (plural) then it should be written:
Rainbows'
Sunshines'

somebloke123 Wed 23-Jan-13 10:52:31

No you wouldn't be unreasonable to mention it. The woman is a teacher and ought to get these simple things right.

cumfy Tue 22-Jan-13 23:46:49

Meh ++

You could read it any which way though couldn't you ?

Rainbow's could (correctly?) mean: Rainbow's container for Rainbow group members' bookbags ... couldn't it ?

I'm sure there are numerous such contractions which would be "correct".

But in the context it would be far more sensible to label the box Rainbow.

Jossysgiants Sun 20-Jan-13 11:51:23

I know what you mean dischordant . As if the group is the temporary custodian of the book bags. * Feenie* you are very restrained. I am going to have to ask them. To say it is eating away at me is a slight exaggeration. But not much. I have to know!

dischordant Sun 20-Jan-13 11:17:10

Oh dear, I would find it hard to keep quiet.

Feenie Sun 20-Jan-13 10:41:49

My ds's school Reception class had a box labelled Book's, which wound me up no end.

It was one of the things I decided to Let Go.

Am trying similar with a rant note aimed at me from his Y2 class teacher regarding reading levels, which includes dont and its (as a contraction). Having to sit on hands a lot.

dischordant Sun 20-Jan-13 10:33:24

Perhaps she asks a particular group to collect form the boxes throughout the day (Or perhaps I'm overthinking this...)

dischordant Sun 20-Jan-13 10:32:29

I agree, they certainly belong to the children but when they're in the boxes they are in that 'group' - If you know what I'm getting at?

It's a bit odd anyway!

Jossysgiants Sun 20-Jan-13 10:09:52

thenebulous I will ask. dischordant - it's possible, but the book bags still belong to the children IMO.

dischordant Sun 20-Jan-13 09:30:22

Book bags? I mean they are 'Rainbow's book bags' in this box.

TheNebulousBoojum Sun 20-Jan-13 09:27:28

No. I'd ask what the possessive apostrophe is related to.

Jossysgiants Sun 20-Jan-13 09:23:42

<apologies for missing apostrophe in own nn>
My daughter is in reception and the teacher has now divided the class into 4 groups. They drop their book bags into boxes related to these groups in the morning. The boxes are labelled 'Sunshine's' 'Rainbow's' 'Lightning's ' ' Thunder's '

I suspect they have intended these names as plurals and therefore have placed an apostrophe unnecessarily. But I am not sure - I suppose they might argue the box belongs to the sunshine. This has been bothering me more than it probably should. Do you think I would be unreasonable to ask the teacher what she intended?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now