4am musings on text/texted

(14 Posts)
Mrskbpw Tue 18-Dec-12 10:36:19

I know we've all agreed that people saying text when they mean texted is very annoying (if you're using a noun as a verb, at least use it properly), but last night I was lying awake wondering WHY they do it.

There are oodles of nouns that we use as verbs (I know some people don't like this but it doesn't bother me really): google, hoover, medal (yuk), phone, parent, friend (on facebook) etc etc. So why is text such a hard one for people to use?!

I'm very very fussy about written English and far less fussy about spoken English, which I find more fluid and interesting. But some things make me angry, man, and this is one of them. Also myself instead of me, but that's for another time...

JessieMcJessie Sun 30-Dec-12 16:30:28

That's a very interesting point, not only is it annoying it's anomalous! I am now trying to think of other examples where the past participle has lost its "Ed" and become acceptable...none spring to mind.

ChristmasIsForPlutocrats Sun 30-Dec-12 16:38:29

In American English, I have seen "spit" for "spat". I may think of some more.

With past-tense "text" (I hate it, too), I think the problem is either that "txt" obliterates EVERYTHING, or it is the same problem as "chester draws".

LesserOfTwoWeevils Sun 30-Dec-12 17:15:43

I think it's because of how it sounds—like "texed," as though it's already a past tense. So people think if they say texted that would be like saying "ranned," or "spilted."

JessieMcJessie Sun 30-Dec-12 17:24:44

Lesser, you're a genius.

FromEsme Sun 30-Dec-12 17:28:23

Well, what about cut? Cut cut cut.

EuphemiaInExcelsis Tue 01-Jan-13 13:57:00

I don't care how widespread "text" becomes, I am sticking with "texted"!

EuphemiaInExcelsis Tue 01-Jan-13 14:03:22

There are many irregular verbs in English:

To go
I go
I went
I have gone

To be
I am
I was
I have been

To dig
I dig
I dug
I have dug

Etc., etc.

But who decided which rules "to text" would follow? confused angry Is it usual for new verbs to be irregular?

American English evidently has different rules. "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids" - shouldn't that be shrank? "He dove into the swimming pool". Dived!

DrRanj Tue 01-Jan-13 14:06:38

Don't know about your question, but I hate it when people say "textses" for the plural. What is wrong with "texts"? Or "text messages" even?

JustAHolyFool Tue 01-Jan-13 15:11:41

Euphemia the Americans are far less keen on using the present perfect than us, leading to much confusion if they tell you they lost their keys. Do you mean you lost them? Or you HAVE lost them? WHICH?

And to stuff like "Honey I shrunk the kids".

ChristmasIsForPlutocrats Tue 01-Jan-13 15:51:05

They misuse the present perfect all the time! "I didn't do it yet." Grrrrr...

JustAHolyFool Tue 01-Jan-13 15:53:28

I don't think they misuse it, so much as it's just not a feature of American English.

According to my friend from NI, they're not massive fans of it there either. I wonder if maybe American English has kept a lot of features of Irish English.

Greythorne Tue 01-Jan-13 16:31:15

I think Lesser has it!

Greythorne Tue 01-Jan-13 16:31:56

It's not misuse. It's American English.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now