Accents on names of British-born, English mother-tongue people.

(32 Posts)
HelpOneAnother Mon 17-Dec-12 09:47:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IShallCallYouSquishy Sun 30-Dec-12 16:46:19

My mum has a French name. Her father was a French/Pole and all his family love in France. She was named after one of her Dads aunts. She was born in London. English has always been her first language. Her name has accents over 2 e's and without them her name would be English.

It's her given name though so why would this be an issue to anyone? Just because she was born and raised in the uk does that mean she's not entitled to use her family's name??

cardibach Wed 02-Jan-13 23:38:58

Jessie Shaun/Sean/Siôn are pronounced like 'Shorn', while shone has a shorter 'o' sound. WHere are you from? Perhaps your local accent obscures the difference to some degree (can't think of one which would, but willing to be educated).

cardibach Wed 02-Jan-13 23:43:00

By the way, my daughter has an 'ë' in her name. Without it you would not sound the 'e'. It would be incorrect to do so. Why would you think that pretentious? I would have hoped not to have encountered this here - I'd hoe to trust pedants to realise that accuracy of spelling is important.

JessieMcJessie Thu 03-Jan-13 15:41:28

Thanks Cardibach. I am Scottish (clue in the username..) So "shorn"doesn't help me because my accent is rhotic i.e. I pronounce the "r" and pretty sure there's no "r" sound in Sean grin

"Sean Connery said the sun shone"- exactly the same sound at the beginning and the end of that sentence for me...

jkklpu Sat 19-Jan-13 22:46:11

Jessie - "shone" rhymes with "gone" or "on"
"Sean/Shaun" - these have a different, longer vowel sound and rhyme with "fawn" or "pawn".
Does that help? (I'm Scottish, too, and I make a distinction.)

redshifter Wed 25-Sep-13 19:05:57

Jkklpu -

I strongly diasagree. Everyone I have met in Ireland pronounces Sean as 'Shon' . Probably as it is the Irish Gaelic form of the English 'John'. It is a very common name in my family and is always pronounced Shon by us. We always found it quite funny and strange when it was pronounced 'Shorn' as though our hair was being shorn off. It wasn't as bad as' Seen' which we often got called by our teachers in primary school in the 1970s.

The correct Irish spelling (sorry I can't get accents on this phone) would be with a fodder (accent) over the 'a'.
With the fodder over the 'e', Sean would be pronounced 'Shane' and have the different meaning of 'friend' -I think.
With no fodder I think it is usually pronounced 'Sheen' And means either old or new . It's a long time since I spoken any Irish.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 29-Sep-13 10:41:56

Redshifter it's a fada not a fadder. Can't do a fada on my phone.
Sean , with a fada is pronounced Shaawn. A long 'a' sound

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now