What time does your 8-year old an 4-year old go to bed.

(20 Posts)
iFad Mon 11-Nov-13 09:07:32

Both my 8-year old and my 4-year old go to bed at 7pm. They get home form school at 3pm (small guy) and 4pm (older one). My older son has about an hours homework to do a night (well, some set homework, reading and some maths as he is behind) and we do not seem to have enough post hours school to chill out, eat, do homework and get a shower.

So, what time is a good time for an 8-year old to go to bed? Would you do it at different times for the 4 and 8 year old?

Both my sons have to be up at 6am to get ready for 0645 school bus so it is a long day.

SpencerPercival Mon 11-Nov-13 09:08:02

4 in bed asleep by 7
8 year old by 8 latest

iFad Mon 11-Nov-13 09:09:29

Thx, that was what I am thinking. Plus the 1on1 time with him would really help us at the moment.

mercibucket Mon 11-Nov-13 09:11:01

mine get up at 8
they go to bed at 9
so, 11 hours sleep
sounds the same as your kids

the problem for you is the travel time, i would guess. we walk, takes 2 mins, so that is all chilling out at home time. im not sure you can do it any different to magic up the extra time sad

SpencerPercival Mon 11-Nov-13 09:12:07

yes - is the time they confide in you. Bath them together, then send the older one back down to watch tv ( they feel like they have one over on the younger one) Or play in room if you prefer

then separate stories ALWAYS
i dont get why people cant manage this

mercibucket Mon 11-Nov-13 09:12:35

putting the younger one to bed separately and at slightly different times will give each one some 1:1 though

My 4yo Ds is in bed at 7 .

Id put the 8yo to bed at 8 on school nights maybe even 8.30 depends which side of 8 he is

iFad Mon 11-Nov-13 09:15:23

I know what you mean. Most of the kids get the school mini bus to/ from school. This takes 50 minutes either way. That sounds a lot, but to be honest, when I lived 15 mins from the school, they still took 45 mins on the bus as they had loads to pickup. International schools are not like village schools. People come from 35 miles around to go to that school if it fits their nationality. Where the school is, is pretty grotty and out of the way. Where we live is really nice, with loads of stuff to do out of school. It's difficult to get it right.

My kids are OK with the journey as all their friends are on it and they have a bit of a blast. It's the end of the day that is the problem. I let them de stress for an hour, then it's dinner, then it's homework, then bed!! Actually where I live it is usual for the kids to go to bed at 10 or 11pm. Everyone thinks I'm weird for sending them to bed at 7pm!

I have an 8 year old, a 6 year old and a 2 year old.

They all go to bed at 7pm ideally, 7.30pm latest. That's when we start bedtime (not counting bath nights, they usually bath/ shower then come back down for a bit), so with stories etc. they are in their own beds by 8pm.

My 8 year old has to be up by 6.15am and out the door by 7am to catch the school bus down the road at 7.10am, so she is in her bed for 10 hours. I guess that's the same as her going to bed at 9pm if she didn't have to be up til 8.15am (which I can't imagine as she's half way through her first lesson at school by that time!)

All mine need roughly the same amount of sleep - in fact the youngest is bouncing off the walls full of happy energy by 5am, where I have to wake the 8 year old at 6.15am, so although I like the idea of them going to bed one at a time in age order, it makes no practical sense as the youngest wouldn't be ready to sleep earlier (and the logistics with dinner and evening activities wouldn't work) and the older ones wouldn't get enough sleep if they went to bed any later on a week night.

ds is 7 and goes to bed at 8pm
dd is 10 and goes to bed at 8.30pm

ds wakes around 7am and I have to drag dd out of bed sometime between 7.30 and 7.45am

IFad we have the same bedtime as you and my 8 year old does go to a village school smile Fortunately for us its the same school every other primary age child in the village goes to, and they all catch the same bus in the morning from our tiny village/ hamlet to the bigger village where the school is, so 90% of them go to bed by 7.30pm.

Our school day is over by 1pm at the latest, 11.20am some days, so we do get a much longer afternoon (though generally at least an hour's homework).

We are in Southern Germany.

YukonHo Mon 11-Nov-13 09:22:41

I have a nearly 4 yr old and an 8 yr old. They usually go to bed between 7 and 8 depending on who is doing bath time. (DH is a dawdler) dd gets to read or be read to so she's susally half an hour later than her brother. Weekends, fri 9-10 for dd was we have girls night, and then 9 at the latest on Saturday and 7.30 latest on Sunday to catch up.

Spencer people can't manage it if their youngest takes hours to fall asleep and keeps coming out of their room if left, and/ or if their children of varying ages need the same amount of sleep and have to be up by an early hour. Additionally some kids don't want separate stories - mine relish having 3 stories because there are 3 of them (I still read to the 8 year old, they each choose a different story but listen to each others).

SpencerPercival Mon 11-Nov-13 09:25:15

i had three under 4.5
If they keep coming out of their room that is a seperate issue

SpencerPercival Mon 11-Nov-13 09:25:36

and yes I did stories for TEN LONG YEARS

Tailtwister Mon 11-Nov-13 09:28:14

I have a 3 and 5 yo. They are both in bed by 7 at the latest and on a school day are up at 6. They may be half an hour later to bed during the weekend, but no more than that.

SummerRain Mon 11-Nov-13 09:30:22

Mine are 4, 7 and 8 and we generally get them to bed for 8. The eldest is allowed to read for a bit though as she's never needed much sleep. If theres no school the next day it's closer to 9 when they go up.

iseenodust Mon 11-Nov-13 09:32:07

9 yr old has lights out at 8.30pm. Gets up 7am.

CaptainSweatPants Mon 11-Nov-13 09:36:24

Op does your 8 yr old go to private school? Because an hours homework a night seems quite a lot

My 9, 7 and 5 yo's go up to bed at 7pm but the 9 yo can stay out of bed until 8.30pm and potter about, read, play etc. in his room. the younger ones share a room and have separate stories if they want but often the older one will just want to read her own book. Though recently dd1 has been asking me to read from a set of old Beano annuals (I mean 1979 -83) which is tricky as it is mainly "ooof", "yarghhh" etc. not to mention the extreme corporal punishment! But I digress.

They get up at 7am and the younger ones are not happy about it but an earlier bedtime would not work and it is always harder getting up in the winter. I think they have enough sleep and the important thing is that they are familiar with their routine and it works. Letting the older child have more time awake in their room maybe reading to themselves or you op, may help get the extra time in the evening they need. An hour homework every day seems a lot for an 8yo with an already long day - is there anyway to cut that down to allow more 'downtime'?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now