Pandora bracelet 1st birthday gift... Am I mad??

(39 Posts)
debbie1412 Fri 18-Oct-13 21:33:28

Ok here goes.. Dd 1 in 2 weeks, we havnt a clue what to buy her. Already have ds who is now 3. We have kept all his push alongs, ride ons and toys. She will get a whole heap of other gifts from family and close friends. I was thinking of buying her a pandora bracelet and adding a charm to it for the nxt 18 years then giving it to her on her 18th birthday. Is this totally over the top or nice... I can't decide???

ExcuseTypos Wed 30-Oct-13 11:21:59

Put the money in an ISA or something. She can use it for something useful.

I know I'm being a bore, but my DDs were given charm bracelets by their Godmother and a new charm every Christmas. They've never worn them sad as they're just not into that kind if thing.

specialsubject Wed 30-Oct-13 11:15:07

nice idea but she may turn out to be a goth...

she doesn't know it is her birthday. Have a cake, make a bit of a fuss, save your money.

Sunnysummer Tue 29-Oct-13 10:28:01

In some countries there is a tradition of buying a necklace with a single pearl, and adding a pearl each year, and at 18 finally getting it properly strung (downside is that it is less wearable before 18, upside is less likely to date and less likely to get lost in the meantime!)

Draculasbride Tue 29-Oct-13 07:37:59

My daughter was given a links of London one by pil for her christening and they add a new charm every time she reaches a milestone (eg: when she learnt to walk they added a little silver boot) I thought it was lovely smile

Mumof3xx Tue 29-Oct-13 07:34:51

Any idea of something similar that could be done for boys?

Mumof3xx Tue 29-Oct-13 07:31:24

I may just steal this idea

superstarheartbreaker Tue 29-Oct-13 07:28:54

Oh get it. Good idea. You cant not get it for fear she might loose it in freshers week. [Hmm] she probably wont.

MillyStar Mon 28-Oct-13 12:34:59

My daughter was christened at 16 months and her god mother bought her a pandora with the fairy god mother charm on it

I think it's a lovely idea and she is going to fill it for her at christmas and her birthdays

Apparently you can buy a frame to display them in so i'm going to look into that until dd is old enough to wear it herself

I got dd 2 a Thomas Sabo one for her first birthday. It doesn't have to have charms from one particular shop.

She has 2 lovely charms so far.

KateCroydon Sat 26-Oct-13 21:07:50

Charm bracelet is a lovely idea, but it'd be much more individual and special if NOT Pandora.

foreverondiet Sat 26-Oct-13 20:19:16

My dd is 10. Although it seems like a nice idea - and my dd likes jewellery we usually use birthdays to buy her expensive stuff that I want her to have (or that she wants) eg a bike (say new one every 3 years) scooter, Nintendo (she wanted) - I guess what I am saying is that if I told my dd I was buying her a charm instead of a Ds (and all her friends had a Ds and she wanted one) she wouldn't be impressed. Are you prepared to fund a bike / Lego / whatever else as well? Ok if you have generous grandparents.. IME children have a v good idea of what they want for birthdays from around 3rd onwards. So for that reason I think it's a bad idea. Better to buy a gold necklace with name of similar as a first birthday present - my dd was given at birth - she wears whenever she gets dressed up in nice (smart) clothes.

superbabysmummy Sun 20-Oct-13 20:32:10

My parents bought DD a Pandora bracelet for her naming day in Sept (she's nearly 1) no doubt she'll plenty of charms for birthday's/Christmas's, it'll be nice to sit with her when she's older and talk to her about the meaning of each one grin

GillyBillyWilly Sat 19-Oct-13 21:08:20

I think a charm bracelet is a lovely idea...... but just not a pandora one!

BuzzardBirdBloodBath Sat 19-Oct-13 21:05:31

Sorry, only just came back to thread OP. Yes, if you are going to do this, I would go with the larger size as it could always be re-sized.
These companies such as Pandora may have been in business a long time and probably will be in business for a long time further but they are fashion jewellery companies and as fashions move their products change accordingly. They have been selling this 'charm' idea for quite a few years now and buyers have started to look for the next big thing now. It is a very fickle industry.
I love the antique idea as well smile

Alanna1 Sat 19-Oct-13 20:44:56

Lovely idea, but perhaps for an earlier birthday? Eg 15? Also don't need to get a charm every year. Every odd year or even every third year.

curlew Sat 19-Oct-13 10:27:37

Why not buy her a lovely antique silver bracelet and buy charms for it as you go? My dd has one her grandmother gave her. She tends not to wear the charms all together, but she wears the bracelet a lot, and often chooses a charm to put on a chain round her neck.

I think (sorry) that in 18 years Pandora bracelets will be seen as the over expensive marketing triumph they are.

5madthings Sat 19-Oct-13 10:23:48

lovely idea, i have a charm.bracelet my parents bought me and thet got me a new charm each year smile

GingerDoodle Sat 19-Oct-13 10:21:06

My sister bought DD one when she was born and now for all present requiring events (birthdays / christmas / easter etc) gets her a charm for it. I thought it was a lovely idea.

mathanxiety Sat 19-Oct-13 04:58:41

Get her a large cardbox instead. 1 yos love big boxes.

A charm bracelet may or may not be her idea of cool in 18 years' time and could end up getting lost during Freshers week when she goes off to university. (Have known similar disaster to happen and the friend was so ashamed to lose such a meaningful item she couldn't bear to tell her mother).

debbie1412 Fri 18-Oct-13 22:15:15

I'm not so much worried about the brand being uncool, hopefully she'll see the sentimental value and il choose nice charms so it will look nice regardless of brand.

debbie1412 Fri 18-Oct-13 22:07:08

Buzzard are still looking at this thread can I pick your brains?? Should I get largest sized bracet 23cm as it needs to fit 18 charms on it???

LadyRochford Fri 18-Oct-13 22:05:52

Pandora bracelets might be really uncool by the time she is 18. What about buying something in gold? Or just a gram of gold? At least then it has good resale value and you could get the 18g made into something she will like for her 18th.

debbie1412 Fri 18-Oct-13 22:01:30

Brillant.. Thanks ladies I thought I'd get totally panned. Time to shop. November birthdays not good when Xmas is the month after.

AlexaChelsea Fri 18-Oct-13 21:56:28

Pandora have been going for about 70 years, so you'll probably be okay for another 17 smile

christilass Fri 18-Oct-13 21:53:29

I have a Trollbead charm bracelet .... that company started in 1973 !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now