So... If you DC has a different / unpopular name...

(95 Posts)
ElBombero Mon 07-Oct-13 19:57:14

If you've chosen a slightly different name have you had a wobble about it later?

I am and just hoping it passes...

sonlypuppyfat Mon 07-Oct-13 19:59:05

What's the name do tell

ElBombero Mon 07-Oct-13 20:34:56

Lots of previous threads. DS name is Sonny

Sonny is a nice name though!

Is it just that you think it doesn't suit him, or do you actually not like saying the word Sonny?

invicta Mon 07-Oct-13 20:38:29

Sonny is lovely.. My siblings and I all have semi - unusual names - not completely crazy but not popular or weird spellings. Eg Heather, Caspien . We've always loved the names

onedev Mon 07-Oct-13 20:43:03

I love Sonny!!

ElBombero Mon 07-Oct-13 20:43:31

Aw thank, he's only a couple if weeks old so not a matter of him suiting it, and I do like saying it. It's just people's reactions I think, I had some negatives one of my family early on and struggling to shake them.

Bluestocking Mon 07-Oct-13 20:43:43

What's the nature of your wobble - do you feel as though you've gone off the name, does he not look like a Sonny any more, have you caught someone you thought was a friend laughing about it? And how old is young Sonny?

sonlypuppyfat Mon 07-Oct-13 20:50:04

I can see why you are wobbling

ElBombero, Ive seen your previous threads. Sonny is lovely and I`m sure the name suits him. I think this is more about your insecurities with your family, if you change his name now just to please them then you will be so angry with yourself later on.

How are they now? Have they said anything else?

Cosmo89 Mon 07-Oct-13 20:59:39

Sonny isn't very 'out there' in my opinion

It's a classic.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tethersend Mon 07-Oct-13 21:03:16

Ah, don't worry. I called DD2 Shirley, which is universally hated grin

I love it, though. And she completely owns the name.

sonlypuppyfat Mon 07-Oct-13 21:03:24

I wouldn't call it a classic I've never known any

neolara Mon 07-Oct-13 21:05:13

My dh has a very unusual name. Apart from his dad and our son, he is the only person in the country with this name. Really. He loves it. He says that people remember him.

Sonny is a lovely name! I've had/am having the same thing with 8mo DS's name - I think I can't say it properly, I don't like the spelling that DP and I had agreed on before he was born. I wanted to think about other names once he was actually born but he was already the name he is now as far as DP and his family were concerned. Next baby is having no name til it is born.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlemisssarcastic Mon 07-Oct-13 21:11:01

Yes, I wobbled over DD's name a lot, and even after 6 months, it didn't feel right IYSWIM, but now, I can't imagine her being called any other name.

Viviennemary Mon 07-Oct-13 21:11:32

It's up to you in the end. But if you want to change it do it sooner rather than later.

LizzieVereker Mon 07-Oct-13 21:12:13

Sonny is a great name, and I've taught several Sonnys, all of whom were lovely. I think it's not uncommon now, so you'll probably find the raised eyebrows get fewer and fewer.

Chibbs Mon 07-Oct-13 21:15:19

i really like it , i know a very nice sonny.

NandH Mon 07-Oct-13 21:15:27

Sonny is a lovely name, I use to work with a lovely lady that had a lovely little boy Sonny.

My dd has an unusual name, and I too still wobble about it, but do you know what it suits her and has a beautiful meaning and once people know what it means they seem to love it also! smile

marriedinwhiteisback Mon 07-Oct-13 21:20:17

I think if it's worrying you so much you need to have a rethink while there's still time. I'm sorry but it has "oi, sonny, wotcher doin'" connotations for me.

HidingInTheBathroom Mon 07-Oct-13 21:24:03

My dd is called Dallas after her godmother who has passed away. She suits it I call her dally for short. I do find myself explaining her name it's not American and the originates from Scotland but at the end I don't care because I like it. grin

HidingInTheBathroom Mon 07-Oct-13 21:26:25

Forgot to say I love the name sonny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now