Talcum powder and babies

(28 Posts)
FruityPops Mon 07-Oct-13 13:20:45

My friend told me about sixteen years ago that she wouldn't use talcum powder on her baby girl because of the fear of it causing ovarian cancer. Does anyone still use it?

treaclesoda Mon 07-Oct-13 13:22:43

I heard this when I was a teenager, and whether its true or not, it has always stuck with me.

I thought it was only related to using it on the genitals though? I generally wouldn't use it on a baby because they might breathe in a great big cloud of the stuff, but I would eg use it on their feet after they've been paddling in the sea and I'm trying to get them dried and back into the car.

ShakeRattleNRoll Mon 07-Oct-13 13:22:54

crikey thats a bit heavy .Sorry I don't know

treaclesoda Mon 07-Oct-13 13:23:57

I got this particular piece of medical information from Richard and Judy when I was off school sick, so it must be 20 years ago now that I heard it blush

NotYoMomma Mon 07-Oct-13 13:24:15

I dont see the point of it

when I asked my mum she just shrugged 'it smelled nice'

KirjavaTheCorpse Mon 07-Oct-13 13:25:07

No, I don't use it. You can make your own powder using cornstarch and essential oils though that does the same job and smells lovely.

AHardDaysWrite Mon 07-Oct-13 13:26:46

Have texted SIL who is a gynaecologist. Will report back grin

Sidge Mon 07-Oct-13 13:32:44
Pigsmummy Mon 07-Oct-13 13:33:35

I use it on my DD, when she is out of the bath she is über wriggly so I use talc to make sure that she is dry in her folds (in legs, arms and bottom). Should I not be? She seems to love it and she smells great after. Btw i use baby talc not Lilly of the valley from Avon!

Morloth Mon 07-Oct-13 13:34:27

What is it for?

KirjavaTheCorpse Mon 07-Oct-13 13:40:21

Just makes skin soft and smells nice, really.

bragmatic Mon 07-Oct-13 13:41:34

Not necessary IMO.

Babies smell lovely on their own.

squoosh Mon 07-Oct-13 13:42:24

This has always stuck with me too, no idea where I heard it first.

Don't like talc anyway, too drying.

5madthings Mon 07-Oct-13 13:43:45

I have never used it, why would you add unnecessary products onto a babies perfect baby soft skin?!!

I do agree it was a bugger getting creases dry, and little Michelin man babies, but I dried them well and let them have some naked time to make sure they were properly dry.

NewBlueShoesToo Mon 07-Oct-13 13:51:28

Never used it on babies but great in swimming hatssmile

bragmatic Mon 07-Oct-13 13:53:29

It doesn't 'dry' wet skin anyway.

If you use it to dry a baby, you'd end up with a little baby piñata.

2tiredtocare Mon 07-Oct-13 13:54:59

I use talc free baby powder by burts bees

NaturalBaby Mon 07-Oct-13 13:57:31

It's only in our house for swimming hats, and DH uses it for squeaky steps!
I have to bite my tongue when I see mothers in the changing room producing a cloud of it all over their babies.

ThedementedPenguin Mon 07-Oct-13 14:05:28

It's not recommended anymore. As when you shake it out it creates a lot of talc clouds and baby can inhale it.

I never needed to use it. Plus I agree with above I wouldn't want to breathe it in.

TheCatIsUpTheDuff Mon 07-Oct-13 14:42:49

At antenatal classes we were told not to use it, but in the discharge from hospital session (DD is 2 weeks old) the midwives said it was ok as long as babies didn't breathe in big clouds of it.

Oceansurf Mon 07-Oct-13 14:45:25

Nursery use it all over DD (she's 11 months). I can't stand it personally.

However, they also shove nappy cream right inside her bits bless her.

I've had to talk to them about both of these things - which is a shame, as otherwise it's a fantastic place and she loves going!

You would think though that if it was dangerous, they'd be warnings on the side? Or better still, it wouldn't be sold as a baby product?

pianodoodle Mon 07-Oct-13 14:46:54

Sometimes I'd rub a wee bit on my hands first just for the folds smile

Katienana Mon 07-Oct-13 14:51:08

I've never used it, but the talk about getting the folds dry does remind me of lifting up my month old baby's arm to discover 'cheese' in his armpit! It was all stinky as well! I felt terrible and he always gets a proper rub down now. I was being too namby-pamby with him!

AHardDaysWrite Mon 07-Oct-13 19:12:19

Gynae SIL says there's no evidence it causes cancer. I still don't like the stuff myself.

AHardDaysWrite Mon 07-Oct-13 19:13:06

Ah, katienana, lovely baby armpit cheese - I remember when I first discovered that...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now