Babysitting - going rate and what to leave out????

(4 Posts)
LittleBlackDress Tue 16-Jul-13 20:14:05

Help!! Got a babysitter for the first time in ages and have no idea what to pay her or to leave out. She is the daughter of a neighbour. Don't want to rip her off with a few quid just cause she's a teenager - happy to pay the proper going rate as if she's any good I'd like her to want to come back, plus her mum is a nanny and will be on call if any problems.

Then, what and how much to leave out for her food and drink wise? What's an appropriate time to return?? #clueless smile

toolatetobed Tue 16-Jul-13 23:26:29

I would leave £5 per hour. Re what time to be back, I would discuss with her mum how late she is happy for her daughter to stay.

Seb101 Wed 17-Jul-13 09:12:39

Most parents I babysit for just say help yourself to food and drink. But maybe popping some biscuits/ cake on the work top is a nice gesture. Whatever you've got in cupboard. It's also nice if you put a cup, tea, coffee out on work top; saves having to open every cupboard in kitchen searching for stuff. None of this essential though, but I know I appreciate it when patents do this. Id say £6 an hour if she's 16-18, may be with a little experience of babysitting. Then maybe £5 an hour if she's under 16. Also depends where you live.
I always like parents to be home before midnight, possibly earlier on a week night. If its going to be later, I like to be warned/ asked beforehand, so I can say no if I don't want to. Although happy to do late ones at weekends occasionally. I'd increase pay after midnight too.grin

LittleBlackDress Wed 17-Jul-13 22:22:03

Thank you very much indeed! Much appreciated. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now