sterilising bottles

(21 Posts)
fasparent Fri 12-Jul-13 00:26:22

Foster parent too baby's for 38years., best be safe than sorry, sterilise until you stop using bottles.

TripleRock Thu 11-Jul-13 14:10:32

Sterilise until you stop using powdered milk formula is my view

anklebitersmum Thu 11-Jul-13 14:07:01

I was all very PFB to start with. Only stopped when he came trotting down the garden having taken a big bite out of a slug <BORK>

With 2,3 & 4 I was less of a fruit and stopped at about 7 months although I did clean very carefully smile

ChippingInGoAndyGo Thu 11-Jul-13 00:21:27

Did you actually READ my post? All of it? The bit where I said you don't need to sterilise IF bottles are washed thoroughly!?!

Milk is very greasy, bottles need to be washed/scrubbed with a bottle brush & very hot soapy water, not just ineffectually swilled around in luke warm water.

Most people don't wash up very well, which leaves them with a breeding ground for bacteria.

I don't like dishwashers - the vast majority of them don't do a good job and I wouldn't wash baby bottles in them.

It takes a few minutes in a microwave steriliser with tap water... what is the big deal about sterilising - to be sure?

NoComet Thu 11-Jul-13 00:10:11

There shouldn't be any residue left in bottles if they are properly washed in hot water or put in the dish washer.

I suspect teats were a problem in the past, but modern silicon ones turn inside out and are easy to clean.

ChippingInGoAndyGo Wed 10-Jul-13 23:36:57

What ceeveebee said.

You don't ever have to sterilise if you are very very thorough in the way you wash bottles and most people can't keep that level up.

It has NOTHING to do with the germs that are on the floor, toys, grass etc

Milk left on bottles breeds bacteria at a ridiculous rate. Bottles/teets have lots of nooks & crannies.

It's easy to sterilise - so I don't understand why anyone would stop whilst using bottles.

ceeveebee Wed 10-Jul-13 23:30:42

Yes I am aware of that and always made up bottles fresh with 70degree water when I was using formula. But the residue of formula left on the bottle is perfect breeding ground for bacteria.

NoComet Wed 10-Jul-13 23:13:39

Sterilising the bottles doesn't kill the bugs in the milk. To do that you have to follow the 70°C instructions.

NoComet Wed 10-Jul-13 23:09:41

I think the thing is milk is perfect bug culture medium. So if you make up all three bottles at once and stuff them in the fridge you need to sterilise them. If you make them up then and there or use cartons, then there's probably far less reason to worry.

ceeveebee Wed 10-Jul-13 22:58:01

I think you are supposed to sterilise while using formula, regardless of age. The bugs in formula can be nasty and can't really be compared to germs from soil-eating etc.

whatsoever Wed 10-Jul-13 22:40:29

My DS is 9 months and I sterilise bottles, and dummies (if they've been on the floor). I chuck in sippy cups once in a while, have never bothered with spoons and he doesn't use bowls or plates yet.

When I was bf I sterilised the breast pump parts too although if the dishwasher was about to go on, I put them in there instead as per the instructions.

I feel like this is probably unnecessary but I don't seem to be able to drop the habit.

lola88 Wed 10-Jul-13 21:59:04

8months once he was crawling I didn't see the point

Weegiemum Wed 10-Jul-13 18:50:23

Never sterilised (though dont use formula, I did use ebm and a breast pump. Used top shelf of the dishwasher, all fie.

Titsnteeth Wed 10-Jul-13 18:45:45

I stopped as soon as I changed to cows milk about 12 months. But I always made bottles in advance and your not supposed to do that now either.

cupcake78 Wed 10-Jul-13 18:35:53

About 6-7 months. One they're being weaned and eating anything/everything in sight then what's the point!

MiaowTheCat Wed 10-Jul-13 13:30:53

I stopped when we stopped using powdered formula - but since we cold-water milton sterilise it was more of a "change where you chuck the bottle bits" than an active cessation of sterilising.

sparkle101 Wed 10-Jul-13 10:14:09

I stopped at 12 months but dd wasn't crawling till 15 so may have been different if she was, although v pfb so followed all guidelines. Not so much with this one though.

Alwayscheerful Wed 10-Jul-13 10:04:25

6 months.

kirdy Wed 10-Jul-13 10:03:29

That's what I thought as she is now starting to crawl and putting everything in her mouth and you can't keep everything sterile. X

AnythingNotEverything Wed 10-Jul-13 09:55:32

I think once they're crawling your fighting a losing battle. Therefore 8/9 months sounds about right.

kirdy Wed 10-Jul-13 09:49:14

When did everyone stop sterilising baby bottles I know they say 12 months but some of friends stopped before that and there babies are fine. My daughter is 8 months and only having three bottles a day do I need to keep sterilising or would it be ok to stop I don't sterilise her dummys or bowls or spoons

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now