Getting your boob out infront of in laws.

(65 Posts)
MommyBird Thu 13-Jun-13 22:05:19

Hi! smile
im 33 weeks pregnant with our 2nd lg, i really want to breast feed, i couldnt with our 1st (loooong story)
So, im aware that we're going to have visitors when she's born, obviously.
And im really worried about feeding infront of my inlaws ..not so much my family (no idea why!?) and i couldnt careless about starngers.
How did you BF mummies get over it? What did you do? Shall i go upstairs with her? what about visiting people?
im abit self concious and kinda shy..so getting my boob out is a big thing haha..so just need abit of positive advice and tips smile

MommyBird Fri 14-Jun-13 20:51:27

How did people react to the 'stay away' method? I'd feel abit mean. did you mention it before hand? Or when your baby was born?
Or maybe limit time? Like say then can stop an hour or so? But if baby needs feeding then ive got to feed...i think once she latches on i could allways pop back into the room...
BF last time came to a big fat majour stop when we came from hospita..after about an hour or so hubby took our lg to his moms house..i couldnt go as i was in a bad way (stitches! Ouch! And we had a classic mini at the time!) so that really didnt help...no thought to me either and what i wanted.. so maybe i shouldnt feel mean about limiting visits..
Anyway!
I might just mention it to family and get hubby to mention it to his parents in conversation...not sure how yet. ha!
Im hoping when i tell my mom the plans she will soon let visitors know whats happening..no one argues with nanny!

I love the idea of it just being me and baby for a while, trying to feed and bonding. missed it with my 1st so maybe she can join in too on the bonding smile
I think sticking with it and establishing a good feeding realationship is what im going to focus on as thats where i lost it that time.

meglet Fri 14-Jun-13 22:02:12

I told XP to tell his family we weren't having visitors for a couple of weeks and luckily they kept their distance. He was a bit pissed off about it at first but they had been a PITA after I had DC1 so he eventually agreed we could do with the peace.

My family were closer, and I did need mum on hand to help as I'd had a CS. But even then I e-mailed all of them in advance and said that at no point was I entertaining anyone and they could all make their own tea if they did come round.

TBH I don't care if they thought I was a cow. To this day I still find it unbelievable that people invade a new mums privacy when she is probaly shattered, in some pain and trying to establish bf.

Even wandering in and out of another room would have annoyed me, I liked having the sofa set up with my cushions, snacks, magazines and laptop and being able to watch what I wanted on the TV. I'm a bit of an introvert at the best of times, even worse when I've had a newborn.

CrackleMauve Fri 14-Jun-13 22:08:14

I would definitely limit length of visits, especially if family are close. Tell them they can pop by for an hour but no longer. You don't need people sat there all day. Try and stay in your pyjamas and don't put make up on, people will treat you more kindly than if you look like you're running about fine!

With my first for the first week or two I did go into another room to feed. There was a particular chair I liked to sit on and it did take me a while to latch on to start with. My family and in-laws all live a five hour drive away, nobody complained about me going off. And my in-laws visited for a little while one day, then took themselves off for the afternoon and asked very nicely if they could pop back in the next day for another quick visit before catching their train home. And checked again in the morning. That is how visitors should behave!

minimuffin Sat 15-Jun-13 00:09:33

You can cuddle/read to your little one whilst feeding baby once you've got it sussed (can take a few weeks).

Don't worry about your MIL approving/disapproving - or anyone else for that matter - it's your baby, your body, your house and your decision. And it's a great start for your baby. Personally with DS1 I never felt comfortable feeding in front of anyone other than DH, my mum and my NCT group. I would just quietly excuse myself when PILs were there and vanish with a cuppa and a magazine (books tricky to read with 1 hand, kindle would be good tho) for up to 45 mins - it was a godsend!!! I loved having the excuse for the time out, MIL is v full on. They were good though and never said anything critical about me doing this. Good luck!

MumofWombat Sat 15-Jun-13 02:12:20

I was also a bit worried about this.
I tend to wear a strappy vest top under whatever else I'm wearing. The strappy top gets pulled down and the top layers goes up. I've found this to be pretty discrete. I couldn't get on with draping a muslin.
I will admit that once or twice when we had a house full of visitors I would escape to the bedroom to feed, but to be honest this was more about getting some peace and quiet!

cathers Sat 15-Jun-13 20:03:54

I would also encourage you NOT to leave the room when your need to feed.- with Ds1 in laws therefore after, installed a kitchen stool in a spare bedroom 'for my comfort' if I ever needed to feed at their house hmm

With ds2 I had a comfy spot on the sofa which was mine, set up with feeding cushion, books and remotes and a stack of muslins. I bought those feeding vests with a clippy front and would drop that and stick a muslin behind my shoulder too which draped to cover upper shoulder and breast.
Worked fine.

QuietOldLadyWhisperingHush Sat 15-Jun-13 20:55:48

With DD1 we made a terrible mistake of having far too many visitors and being out and about far too much. She was always being held by someone else, it was little wonder then that BF was so difficult to establish and I ended up not being able to build up my supply and was soon supplementing with formula.

With DD2 I was in hospital for a week and refused all visitors. I had to be quite firm as DH family is a rather enthusiastic and lively bunch! The first weekend after we were home we had an 'open house' and got all the visiting over and done with that Saturday. It was chaotic but at least everyone was happy that they met the new baby and we didnt have the constant interruption of visitors for weeks (our family circle is quite large). BF was so much more relaxed and easier! It was absolutely the right thing to do and everyone was fine with it.

Women used to have a time of 'lying in' after birth and would be looked after by family, were expected to do nothing except recover and bond with their baby. How expectations have changed it would seem!

plummyjam Sun 16-Jun-13 21:01:34

In the early days of visitors I would go to another room, I wanted to get the latch spot on and sometimes there could be a lot of fussing. Good excuse for a bit of peace and quiet from the rellies too!

When my latch was good, I did the strappy vest under baggy shirt trick others have mentioned (maternity tops are v good for this) but I did also drape a muslin over my shoulder, more as a cue to others that I was about to feed DD, so anyone who didn't feel comfortable about seeing my nips (BILs and bros) could avert their eyes.

Now everyone's used to it I do the vest down top up manoeuvre and feed anywhere and everywhere!

Have a go at feeding whilst looking in a mirror, you'll be surprised at how little can be seen once the baby is attached. Just looks like you're having a cuddle.

jaggythistle Sun 16-Jun-13 21:49:16

I messed this up the first time and fed DS1 in a different room all the time as I wasn't used to bfing, this meant I was expected to. PIL like to eat out and were always asking for somewhere for me to feed in pubs etc. blush

For DS2 he was bf in front of anyone from day one, even MIL got used to it pretty quick.

My Mum was a bit antsy when I exceeded her comfort zone of 8/9 months with DS1, but today I fed nearly 14 month old DS2 to sleep for a nap when they visited and no one batted an eyelid. (even when his latch went all crap a he feel asleep and he made really loud sucking noises! blush blush )

So IMO, do your best to claim your own living room and get comfy. I found DS2 kind of tucked down inside my widgey pillow and I did the vest under top thing to minimise exposure of tummy, with a muslin tucked in at the side to save me having to west a cardigan or zip up top like I did all the time the first time round.

jaggythistle Sun 16-Jun-13 21:52:48

Wear a cardigan. FFS. As he feel asleep.

jaggythistle Sun 16-Jun-13 21:53:09

Fell asleep.

Mummy2NJ Tue 18-Jun-13 08:41:37

People visiting us- with DS1 I used to go to the nursery to feed when we had people I was uncomfortable round. But with all my family, including my brother I'd just breastfeed in the lounge so I could still continue with the visit.

When I went to inlaws house though I used to go into their spare room to feed him. But I found i'd end up spending the majoritie of the time away from everyone which was nice when he was newborn as I just had him all to myself lol. I think I was so uncomfortable with them as no one in the family breastfed.

But when DS2 came along, I just do it infront of anyone anywhere. I use a muslin and wear cloths that help with discretion

I was really worried about this too! I ended up just doing it in everyone politely averted their eyes smilesmile
I did get a boob cape for when we were out and about but found it a faff. TBH people can't really see much when baby is feeding and you just end up not caring

LemonBreeland Tue 18-Jun-13 11:47:32

Can I just mention as well that when you look down on your breast you see far more lfesh than people sitting across from you. So as a pp suggested practising in front of a mirror is a good idea as you get a better perspective.

LemonBreeland Tue 18-Jun-13 11:48:12

flesh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now