Book recommendations for preparing for baby number 2

(3 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 07-Jan-13 21:46:57

We read the tipsy and tim one but DS would only read Thomas or Topsy & Tim. Think I might have read him the Usborne one too when he was in a good moodsmile

ArtexMonkey Mon 07-Jan-13 16:48:35

There are lots of nice toddler story books about new siblings. With my dd we read:

aren't you lucky

za za's baby brother

where did that baby come from

Katie Morag and the tiresome ted

Ad a couple of others I think. We didn't read any parenting books as such, we just made sure I wasn't holding ds when dd met him for the first time, we got her a present 'from him' and my mum let her choose a teddy to give to him, we got her a baby doll and all paraphernalia and just let her get into the idea of babies and being a big girl, made a HUGE fuss of her being a big sister, got her a card with a badge etc, i got a little stash of new little books/toys etc and put them away so that if anyone was dim enough to come and visit new baby ds with a present for him but not dd or making a big fuss of the new baby and ignoring dd a bit yes you mil you dope we had something new to give her to distract her.

It worked out ok for us so far touch wood, she never had a day's jealousy of him (have loads of really sweet photos from bringing him home of her 'reading' to him while he's in his moses basket, or helping to bathhim) and they're still really good friends now.

foxyflares Mon 07-Jan-13 16:33:27

Hello all, can anyone recommend a book to help a 2-year-old prepare for the arrival of a baby brother or sister? And are there any good books for parents to help us prepare for various things - like jealousy etc. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now