Can anyone recommend me a REALLY good sling for a super clingy baby?

(38 Posts)
RooneyMara Fri 04-Jan-13 18:20:07

I've had various slings over the years but tbh never found one that was very easy or comfy - most came from NCT sales or charity shops but I think I might need one this time.

Ds is currently tucked inside my stretchy long t shirt and seems to be happy and I have my hands free - but it's not a great solution!

He just doesn't like to be put down so far, at all, though I guess he was only born yesterday so maybe it'll change.

But is there something really great available in the way of a sling - I do need it to be quick, without long wrapping processes, if possible. Mainly for around the house I think.

Thanks so much smile

Lafaminute Fri 11-Jan-13 17:27:19

Congratulations! I used a BabyBjorn for noth mine up to 4/6 months and then switched to a Hotsling www.hotslings.com/ which did until he was over 2. I found the hotsling great but didn't feel they were secure enough in it when they were very small. I baked and did housework with babies in the Hotsling.

RooneyMara Fri 11-Jan-13 14:33:01

Ok have now ordered a Close carrier. smile

I nearly got the Caboo DX (with clips?) but I liked the look of the cloth outer bit witht he Close, I might try both and see which is better.

Thankyou for all the wonderful suggestions - there are so many but these came up most I think, and I've watched the videos and they look great. Will update when one or both arrive!

whatsoever Sun 06-Jan-13 22:47:16

I use a Close for my heavy 12 week old and it's great. He only likes to sleep in it at the moment though. I'm hoping he'll change his mind and be happy in it awake when he can face outwards.

I tried a Mamas and Papas structured carrier before that and it was awful. 100s of fastenings and never comfy.

KatAndKit Sat 05-Jan-13 16:38:14

I have a Bondolino and I love it. DS aged 9 months is currently snoozing away in it. Easy to put on, nice big sleep hood, comfortable to wear, DH friendly design, front or back carry, suitable from newborn to age 2. Have a look at their youtube video

DomesticGoddess31 Sat 05-Jan-13 15:38:17

I have a Manduca and love it. We had a long wrap type one to start with and I just couldn't get on with it. Manduca is SO easy to put on and comfy and I still use mine on my back for DD who is 18 mths. I spotted the lady who runs our local sling meet with one on the other day so it must be good!

preggersshock Sat 05-Jan-13 15:07:01

Victoria Sling Lady - Awesome!

smegley Sat 05-Jan-13 15:02:09

i have a close and i love it, as did dd

Rockchick1984 Sat 05-Jan-13 09:42:45

Victoria slinglady does stretchy wraps which are perfect for a little one - pre-tie it and leave it on all day, then simply pop baby in and out whenever you need to (her slings are very cheap, but good quality). Once baby hits 3 months you can start using things like a rose and rebellion SSC if you wanted something quicker, these often come up on zulily for around £50 or can get pre loved from eBay or the Facebook site mentioned earlier. The VSL would last until your baby is around 9-12 months depending on her size and weight.

kitbit Sat 05-Jan-13 01:31:24

Ergo saved my life. Was fab and very easy. Ds used it until about 3 for backpack style riding, by then an enhanced piggyback ride, so I got my moneys worth! Very comfy and cosy for him when tiny too.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Sat 05-Jan-13 01:13:11

Find your local sling library www.ukslinglibraries.co.uk/ or facebook "Slings and Things - FSOT and advice" (ignore the crazy prices on the for sale stuff, there's some sound advice)

Paribus Sat 05-Jan-13 00:52:37

All of those- http://www.becobabycarrier.com/products.asp

twofalls Fri 04-Jan-13 20:10:33

Close was a god send. Dd2 live din hers

Nyunya Fri 04-Jan-13 19:43:32

Ooo forgot to say - I think the website Slumber Roo does sling hire, so you can try before you buy!
slumber-roo.co.uk/

twolittlebundles Fri 04-Jan-13 19:09:58

Bubzilla- a pre-formed sling that has done well with both my DDs- 1 who had seriously awful reflux. It requires no faffing and you just change the baby's position in the sling as they get bigger. I have 3 different slings and this is by far the best- much more versatile than the long fabric one and the adjustable pouch one. DD2 is 18 months and I have had her in it most days since she was born.

Nyunya Fri 04-Jan-13 19:04:14

Just wanted to put another word in for the Beco Gemini. I has a close/caboo and my back could only cope with it till dd was 3 months (have a history of problems) but the waist strap on the Beco means I'm still carrying her now at 15 months. Much more comfey than baby bjorn IMO as the weight distribution is so much better!

OhGood Fri 04-Jan-13 18:57:14

bertie I used my baby bjorn for yonks, til she was 18 months or so, but she was a pretty small person. Just so easy. I didn't have a close, I had one of those longs wrap things that you have to wind round yourself, which I liked because it was hippieish, but was always worried because to change it had to take baby out and lay her down in field and then unwrap whole thing and redo, by which time an eagle had swooped down and carried her away.

5madthings Fri 04-Jan-13 18:48:21

I would say a moi by wrap.

I had a close carrier it was OK for newborn but as I had big babies as soon as they put on a bit if weight it wasn't very good as it was too stretchy.

Mai tais are also good.

lagoonhaze Fri 04-Jan-13 18:45:35

Close

beco gemini/butterfly

Manduca

lenny lamb (will take some practice but will take you through to toddlerhood)

Patapum baby sized (cheap second hand)

RooneyMara Fri 04-Jan-13 18:44:57

Thankyou so much everyone.

I have a long list of things to look at now - I'll come back to the thread when ds doesn't need a feed smile

I really appreciate all your advice x

silverfrog Fri 04-Jan-13 18:44:33

Yes, I'm aiming for 9-12 months with my caboo, then back to the Pikolo. Dh once carried dd1 in that when she was about 20kg - wouldn't fancy that myself!

helebear Fri 04-Jan-13 18:43:56

The Kari- me is great, it's a wrap sling. I used it from newborn to about 13 months, starting with dd lying in the cuddle mode then facing me & then facing out. Putting it on seems daunting at first but honestly once you've done it half a dozen times you get used to it. Only thing that is a bit of a pain is putting it on in a carpark as ends can drag on the ground do I just used to put mine on before I left home as you don't really notice you're wearing it and can still drive etc with it on (without baby in it of course!). It comes with instructions & there are lots of videos on you tube too. Can stuck in washing machine & one size fits all. When I bought mine there were lots on eBay.

silverfrog Fri 04-Jan-13 18:42:32

Oh, I have the caboo with clips - cant remember what it's called but is the so-called deluxe one I think. Less ends of straps flapping about, and no hasty knot tying.

BertieBotts Fri 04-Jan-13 18:41:16

I did that priscilla - just made my own stretchy wrap. Cheep, cheerful, supportive, absolutely did the job.

OhGood you may want to rethink the bjorn thing - once they get too heavy for a stretchy wrap they're also too heavy for a bjorn to be comfortable IME. I'd just use the stretchy sling until 9 months/a year and then stop or buy one designed for toddlers.

Lastyearsmodel Fri 04-Jan-13 18:41:13

Beco might be worth looking at - like a soft structured carrier but with clips rather than ties. Distributes weight well, can do front and back carries and has newborn insert. Used mine from when DC were newborn until over 2yo.

silverfrog Fri 04-Jan-13 18:39:47

I got ours when ds was about 3 weeks old. Probably first used it when he was 4/5 weeks old. I did have to watch out that his head was supported ok, but then you do anyway with any sling for a baby that age.

I have a ssc too - a Pikolo which I will use when he is bigger, but the caboo has been a godsend at my double school drop off (dd1 and dd2 at different schools) - so easy to pop him in and out, and he is very securely held. Have been doing that since he was exactly 6 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now