Swimming

(15 Posts)
BertieBotts Mon 17-Dec-12 08:24:17

You don't have to wait until first jabs any more. That's outdated advice from when the polio vaccine was live, but they haven't used live vaccines since 2005, so you are fine to go as soon as you feel ready.

Just reporting back... smile

growyourown77 - that's odd, since Water Babies go on about how their youngest swimmer was a matter of days old...

GalaxyDisaStar Fri 14-Dec-12 15:42:00

After first jabs is not necessary, but waiting until about 6-8 weeks gives you time to heal. And they get cold very fast, so pick a warm pool.

I asked my friends the same question last week. She's a Waterbabies swimming teacher and said to wait until after their first jabs.

You don't need to wait for injections - the diseases they protect against are not waterborne and modern pools are sufficiently well treated. Go whenever you're ready!

weegiemum Thu 13-Dec-12 19:55:31

I took all of mine weekly after 3 month jags.

Dd2 swam 22 lengths last week (just turned 9). I'm glad to have Water Babies!

QTPie Thu 13-Dec-12 19:51:20

I would wait until after the very first set of injections and until after your 6 weeks check.

sparklekitty Thu 13-Dec-12 19:48:29

We started taking dd at 6 weeks (I couldnt before that due to episiotomy) My gp was horrified that I wasn't waiting till after jabs but pool (private health club) said it was fine.

Thank you all smile I can't wait to take him swimming smile

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Tue 11-Dec-12 19:30:30

There is no minimum age. Just be aware they will get cold quickly so you may not be in the water for long to start with

TrazzleMISTLEtoes Tue 11-Dec-12 14:12:46

I took DD at 4 weeks - no one told me not too!

naturalbaby Tue 11-Dec-12 14:12:04

I took all of mine when they were a few weeks old.

CoolaYuleA Tue 11-Dec-12 01:07:13

We were advised six weeks to reduce the risk of picking up an infection (baby and you - if you are not healed by then, wait until you are.)

Hiya, from what age can I take my ds swimming?

Many thanks xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now