Baby sheepskin in the cot??

(8 Posts)
Poledra Thu 06-Dec-12 12:16:17

Yep, I used one in the cot, and put a muslin over it (a big one that tucked into the sides) which had the added bonus that if any posset/dribble/snot/bodily fluid went on it, I could whip it off and put a clean one on. We do have a very cold house, though!

Boggler Thu 06-Dec-12 12:10:57

mrsmarigold you're a genius why didn't I think of putting it under the sheet I think thats the solution. The bedroom is feeling quite cold at night and I'm hoping she'll be more comfortable and stop waking for no reason at 3 am every night.

MrsMarigold Thu 06-Dec-12 12:01:38

I used one but put it under the sheet and it was good. I always worry I'm over-heating my two but our house is freezing and very draughty. What sort of windows do you have?

heidihole Thu 06-Dec-12 12:00:21

I had one in DS's moses basket. Not in his big cot that he's in now though. Alternatively you could use it on the floor as a soft mat to get DC changed on (not nappys obviously just changing clothes) or a play mat for her to lie on and play with her feet!

I would think a sheepskin in the cot is too much.... but that's just my opinion.

As it's so cold out, I'd put the really good one in the pram. Could you e-bay the other maybe?

Boggler Thu 06-Dec-12 11:56:45

Just found this on the BBC:

Can I use a sheepskin for my baby?

Research has shown that sheepskins are not a risk factor if your baby sleeps on their back.

Sheepskins are a risk factor as soon as your baby starts trying to roll over onto their front.

Then take the sheepskin away.

Iggly Thu 06-Dec-12 10:00:32

I did some reading into this and thought it wasn't a good idea until they were quite a bit older (around 1). I think it's the overheating issue.

Boggler Thu 06-Dec-12 09:20:04

My Australian auntie has very kindly sen my dd (14 wks) a baby sheepskin, it's wonderfully thick and would almost fill her cot. I have a little sheepskin already that goes in her pram carrycot, but I'm wondering what to do with the new super douper one. As its so cold at the moment I thought I might put in her cot for her to sleep on at night, but before I do is this ok to do? She sleeps in a grobag with a vest and babygro and I don't want to overheat her. I know sheepskins are supposed to keep them warm in winter cool in summer but are they ok to use for night sleeping?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now