Anyone want to tell me about having 1 boy and 1 girl?

(31 Posts)
TheCountessOlenska Fri 30-Nov-12 16:59:55

So excited to be having a boy grin but I'm only planning on having two children - and for some reason I was convinced they would both be girls!

I am feeling a little bit sad that DD won't get a sister - I have a sister and I love her, she is my best friend. I don't really know any adult brother and sister who are that close?

Will they have stuff in common, will they play together??

ArthurandGeorge Sat 08-Dec-12 21:01:29

Dd is 3.7 years older than ds and they love each other to bits, often sleep together and are really as close as I would have expected two sisters to be. Leho and a wooden trainset are the things they have played together with most, and my ipad, but ds has also enjoyed dressing up and wearing make-up.

I too had imagined 2 dds and wanted dd to have a sister but I wouldn't have it any other way now.

AfterEightMintyy Sat 08-Dec-12 20:55:53

My dd is 2.8 yrs older than my ds and they have been fantastic company for each other. They shared a bedroom until she was 10!

Just now she has moved on to secondary school and he is still at primary and obviously their interests are diverging ... but they are SO good with each other, terribly close.

For dh and I, who knew we would only have two children (due to great age) it has been particularly lovely to have had the experience of parenting a girl and a boy.

LadyIsabellasHollyWreath Sat 08-Dec-12 20:52:15

I have an older DD and a younger DS, like me and my DB.

It's less "convenient" - you can't hand down so many clothes, and you're less likely to take them both to ballet/football/Brownies together - but I think having to think more broadly rather than just going along the tramlines marked "Girl things" makes me a better parent. They fight like cat and dog, but they also play brilliant games together. DS's teddy bear is currently James Bond.

ISeeThreadPeople Sat 08-Dec-12 20:50:43

I have a 5yo dd and a 15mo ds. She sobbed when she found out he was a boy. She wanted a sister. But...

They light up around each other. DD bowls in from school at 3.30pm and her little brother screeches across the room to wrap his chubby hands round her. They dance round, cuddle, shout 'love you' and collapse on the floor in a giggly heap. They are inseparable. DD has never, ever berated him or been angry with him even when he tears her work or pulls her hair (this is affectionate!). She is gentle and proud and tender. He is happy and protected. DD has written a list of the 5 things she is looking forward to this Christmas. Two is playing with her brother. Three is giving her brother a present. Four is teaching her brother about sausages wrapped in bacon. I think you get the picture!

I have a big brother. He is a friend as well as a sibling. We are very close indeed.

EugenesAxeChoppedDownANiceTree Sat 08-Dec-12 20:43:43

I know what you mean - I am one of three girls and have DS (2.10) and DD (1.1) with no plans for more.

DD absolutely loves DS but they are still a bit young for real cahoots (?!). They are getting there though and they certainly care about each other. DD really smiles when she gets her goodnight kiss from DS. Also the other week, DH was on duty alone for tea and bathtime - they drove back leaving me where we had been as I had something on in the evening and was coming back later, and both DCs had fallen asleep and were tetchy. DH let DS eat tea watching television (to keep the peace), while he fed DD in her highchair. She was crying waiting for him and apparently DS came pottering in saying 'Oh no Daddy, [DD name] is crying - don't worry [DD name], I'll stay with you' and he promptly sat down at the table with his tea and started chatting to her.

I was really touched when he said! I don't know if they will be dead close as adults - DH is only averagely close to his DSis, but then, I don't know many blokes that are 'female' close with their families in general... you know what I mean; I can call my DM and talk for ages about this and that. DH would never instigate a conversation like that with his DPs, although he does respond when MIL initiates.

DeafLeopard Sat 08-Dec-12 20:35:59

6 years between my two and though they don't play together very often - especially now DS is a teenager, they adore one another.

DS loves being the big brother, but like Sauv DD also protects her brother as he has ASD

OohMrDarcy Sat 08-Dec-12 20:35:33

I have one of each too, DD (nearly 6) and DS (nearly 3)

They are best of friends 90% of the time and I love love love seeing it grin

I spent a fair bit of time when DS was about 12-18m teaching his big sis how to play with him and teach him how to play, and mostly its paid off - however there are moments when he feels the need to throw a toy at her still hmm

gallicgirl Sat 08-Dec-12 20:34:54

Well, it works for Peppa and George...

blush

waferhappy Sat 08-Dec-12 20:31:08

My oldest son and two girls all watch bob the builder and play Thomas the tank engine etc etc youngest at nine months is to young but sure he will play with his sisters as well then girls treat him like their own 'real' doll

Flossiechops Sun 02-Dec-12 15:26:11

I have just a year between my dd and ds, they are 9 & 8. They argue around 50% of the time and adore one another the other 50%!! As a parent getting to raise both genders is wonderful and I feel very blessed to have a daughter and a son smile

mysweetie Sun 02-Dec-12 14:13:02

Wow,. you are lucky to have a boy and a girl. It will depend on how you raise them if they will be close. Never compare or have favoritism so they won't feel each other as a rival. Raise them loving each other, and they will eventually will :D Congrats, hope mine is a boy too next time.

cory Sun 02-Dec-12 00:59:07

We have the same age gap as you: dc are now 16 and 12 and really adore each other. They go into town together to go shopping and confide in each other and share jokes; it is really really lovely to see.

TheCountessOlenska Fri 30-Nov-12 21:07:31

Thanks for the congratulations!

PoppyWearer - You have the same age gap between yours as I will have (all being well). I can imagine DD being very bossy and "mothering" him grin

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 30-Nov-12 19:44:56

My two are best friends most of the time too. They each have their own toys (she has her dolls that he doesn't want to play with; he has things that don't interest her), but they also have things they play with together too. They idolise each other, in fact. DS is older and very protective of his little sister. DD is very proud of her big brother.

Congratulations!

I had a DS first my 2nd DS died in utero so somehow I expected DC 3 to be a boy too.
I didn't find out the sex with DS1 or 2 and hadn't planned to find out the sex of DD, it just happened. I was disappointed for about 5 mins then went out and bought something pink!

DS is now 15, DD is 12, they have always played together, and still do. They are very close and share a wacky sense of humour.

They are fiercely loyal to each other, DS plays the big brother but as he has AS he can be vulnerable,but not if his sister is around!

Congratulations! grin

Lucylucy57 Fri 30-Nov-12 19:28:24

There's three years between my younger brother and me and he is one of my best mates. Not that we didn't fight sometimes as little ones but mostly we played together very happily and always looked out of each other. Still do. I was always pleased I had a brother - no sharing of clothes/make up there! I'm sure your DD will also really enjoy being a big sister.

PoppyWearer Fri 30-Nov-12 18:27:47

We have a 4yo DD and 1yo DS.

DS idolises his big sister and she tries to be a second mum to him! They bicker but often play together really nicely and, yes, they do want different toys.

We won't be having any more and I feel very lucky to have one of each.

My DD can get lots of playtime with other girls at school, or with her girl cousins, just as I played with my boy cousins growing up instead of brothers (I only have a sister and am
not close to her at all, we rarely played together).

fuzzpig Fri 30-Nov-12 18:22:49

I always imagined having lots of DCs but have to stop at 2. I know we are very very lucky to have them!

DD is 5, DS is 3, and for the most part they are inseparable. They often climb into bed to sleep together instead of apart, and they are fiercely protective of one another.

They share most of their interests - anything from dolls and buggies to trains and dinosaurs smile this has so far made it easy to give them some joint presents (a playmobil castle this year) as opposed to absolutely everything being either 'his' or 'hers'.

It makes me well up with happiness when I see how much they love each other. I was an only child, they are so lucky. smile

Jemma1111 Fri 30-Nov-12 18:17:22

I have a brother 3 yrs older than me and we are very close and he is still so protective of me.
I have a boy and a girl also and although they sometimes fight like cat and dog they adore each other!
Another thing , IMO girls are alot mardier than boys too!

TheCountessOlenska Fri 30-Nov-12 18:04:48

Lol beatofthedrum - I had thought of that, DD doesn't need to stop being my "best girl" now!

Lovely to hear about adult brothers and sisters who are close - thank you

noisytoys Fri 30-Nov-12 17:49:06

I have a younger brother, there is 16 months between us and we get on great and always have

Themeparkfan Fri 30-Nov-12 17:46:24

I have an older brother and there are 2 years between us. We are very close (except during the teenage years) and he has been there for me through some difficult times.

I absolutely love him and wouldn't be without him smile

Chottie Fri 30-Nov-12 17:45:31

My two are grown up now, but they have always been friends. DS always looked up to his big sis DD as a child. I felt the same as you as I have a S, before I had them.

beatofthedrum Fri 30-Nov-12 17:42:28

My two are absolute best friends and don't fall out over toys as they generally have different first choices (not gender stereotyping, it is just fact that he wants cars and she doesn't!) They do lots of physical games together, chasing and using play equipment, shrieking all the time. I hope it stays this way!
From a parenting point of view, it's great to still have a 'best girl' and now you have a best boy too!

rubyslippers Fri 30-Nov-12 17:32:23

My two play really well together

Older DS is idolised by his younger sister

Like any siblings they have their moments but overall it's all fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now