is it illegal to sell energy drinks to children/minors?

(20 Posts)
MonsterEnergyRep Thu 04-Jul-13 13:42:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

GypsyMoth Wed 27-Jul-11 19:31:19

our local independent store refuses under 16's too

mesomorph Wed 27-Jul-11 16:54:19

Are you mental? It can cause that symptom in anyone of any age, children being no more susceptable to it than adults. If having palpitations (also reffered to as a racing heart...) was worthy of that reaction then you would need to outlaw thiemparks, fairgrounds, bungee jumping, flying, adreanalin (good luck with that one) or any source of exhilliration or pannic. Just because something may happen there is no need to go all iron fist on it's existance. Stop puting the preasure on retailers and take responsability as a parent - educate your child and put your own rules down. Just because you have an issue with it does not give you the right to dictate how other people are affected by it.

mumno1stheword Thu 16-Jun-11 23:05:08

My 8 year old son was offered a can of stimulant energy drink is place of a can of soft drink as the shop keeper said they were out of date. My son asked if the can he was been offered was ok for kids and was told that it was. The can clearly states that it is not suitable for children yet the shop keeper still sold it. I think that licencing laws should be introduced and that people who sell to children should be prosecuted! I contacted our local police who took down a statement and were to speak to the shop keeper but also report the incident to the trading standards. The caffeine content can send a child heart facing and cause palpitations. Surely this is enough to impose legal restrictions relating to the sale of these drinks to under 16 year olds.

cheekymajeeka Sun 12-Jul-09 08:15:30

I used to work at ASDA and we were not allowd to sell any type of energy drink 'RED BULL etc...' to minors under the age of 16. I understand this is the stores policy. The reason being in contains a very high level of caffeine which can also become addictive to youngsters (the label actually states- not recommended for children and pregnant women).
Why do children need to drink energy drinks anyway....they have enough natural energy!! These type of drinks should be banned to children they do not need extra stimulants.

Nat11 Mon 27-Apr-09 10:28:08

Red Bull has actually got a caution label on that states that children under the age of 16 cannot purchase the item, shop assistants should be aware of this. However other energy drinks haven't got the label and therefore can be sold just like a normal can of coke etc. Check the label for Red Bull and others to be certain. But no energy drinks should be sold to children due to the great problems they can cause.

MerlinsBeard Wed 01-Apr-09 17:53:06

it isn't illegal that is just sainsbury's policy

No that's not right, there is no law at all on age restrictions for energy drinks. Legally anybody of any age can buy them. A few places do restrict sales of them to certain ages though because the're not recommended for I think under 16's.
So they are wrong, it isn't illegal for children to buy any energy drinks.

ilove Tue 31-Mar-09 07:47:04

Yes it is against trading standards law to sell them to under 16's. I work in the local Sainsburys, and we have signs up stating this and have to see ID from the people buying if they are obviously under 21.

Trinityrhino Tue 31-Mar-09 07:43:03

so two cans of coke = a red bull

still both foul, horrid stuff

MerlinsBeard Mon 30-Mar-09 12:46:52

it is illegal to sell alcohol, knives, glues (and in shops they refuse to sell RAZORS) to minors but they can sell any (non alcoholic) drink they want to.

A 250 ml can of Red Bull has 80 mg of caffeine, a 330 ml can of Coca Cola has 40 mg.

Coke is not as bad as energy drinks, it has a lot less caffeine. It's not illegal to sell coffee to children either.

queenrollo Mon 30-Mar-09 12:20:54

this has arisen because his child was on some kind of course. One of the tasks had the children deciding what to 'buy' from a tuck shop. If they chose to buy energy drinks they had points deducted from their total score. The children were told by the staff that this is because it is illegal to sell energy drinks to children, and they should know this and therefore shouldn't choose them hmm
He is looking into this carefully as is not happy about his child effectively being lied to. He just thinks it is an irresponsible thing to do and wants to draw it to the attention of the organisers.
The children were allowed cola earlier in the day and he has already pointed out that it is just as bad for them.

Ripeberry Mon 30-Mar-09 12:05:31

Energy drink + small child = Chaos! grin

Trinityrhino Mon 30-Mar-09 12:05:11

I think it should be btw but I can't understand why you would think it is when coke is sold to children

Trinityrhino Mon 30-Mar-09 12:04:26

why would it be?

PenelopePitstops Mon 30-Mar-09 12:04:14

nop it isn't sadly

charlotteolivia Mon 30-Mar-09 12:01:55

no more illegal than it is to sell a bottle of coke i'm afraid

queenrollo Mon 30-Mar-09 12:00:34

this is something that has been brought up elsewhere in conversation.
A friend is trying to establish whether it is in fact illegal to sell energy drinks (Red Bull for example) to children/minors.
We can't find anything on the internet to back this up, and he wants to be sure before he sends off a letter of complaint.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now