Child safety story, all dept should have lock down policies when children go missing

(35 Posts)
trippleshot Sat 28-Jul-07 08:25:34

Right putting my head above the parapet relaying this story, but I believe it to be true so think it is important to make as many mums as possible aware of this.

A couple of weeks ago a girl of about four who was shopping with her mother in John Lewis on Oxford street went missing. It really was a case of her mum have her back turned at the till for a matter of seconds, and the child disappeared. Security was notified and "locked-down" the store immmediately. After two hours the girl was found in the toilets, her hair had been cut and clothes changed. I think the intend is clear here, and it's terrifying how easy and quickly child's appearance can be changed just enough that it is not immediately recognisable to those who only have a brief description.

I have never heard of anything like this before, and do not wish to be alarmist but honestly it would never have occured to me that the child's appearance would be changed so quickly. Perhaps I am naive. Anyway the happy conclusion of the story is no doubt thanks to the store's quick acting security and its lock down policy. I don't know of other dept stores/supermarkets with similar policies, but it would be good to know which do.

lionheart Sat 28-Jul-07 08:28:07

Do you have a link to the original report of this trippleshot?

trippleshot Sat 28-Jul-07 08:30:43

No, I heard the story from a friend of the mum. She has a media profile and therefore need not want to make it public.

IlanaK Sat 28-Jul-07 08:31:59

Sorry, but I Have come across this story before. It is one of those urban myths.

FluffyMummy123 Sat 28-Jul-07 08:32:40

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Sat 28-Jul-07 08:34:01

Message withdrawn

ruddynorah Sat 28-Jul-07 08:35:29

er.. i work in a huge m&s. if we 'locked down' the store every time a child went missing we would be shut at least once a day every day, more so on a saturday. it would probably be easier not to open at all on a saturday. and most customers would be pretty pissed off at being locked in a store for two hours.

FluffyMummy123 Sat 28-Jul-07 08:35:51

Message withdrawn

NorksDrift Sat 28-Jul-07 08:36:28

This story (or versions of it) has been around for ages

NorksDrift Sat 28-Jul-07 08:37:19

Why am I so slow at typing?

trippleshot Sat 28-Jul-07 08:37:45

Told you I was putting my head above the parapet! Much happier it's fiction than fact.

FluffyMummy123 Sat 28-Jul-07 08:37:48

Message withdrawn

I wouldn't go quite as far as saying you need to re-evaluate your friendships... I'm sure she wasn't intentionally scaremongering.

The real point, surely is;
"Anyway the happy conclusion of the story is no doubt thanks to the store's quick acting security and its lock down policy. I don't know of other dept stores/supermarkets with similar policies, but it would be good to know which do."

Don't all stores these days join up to a Safe Child scheme? And what exactly does Lock down mean?

FluffyMummy123 Sat 28-Jul-07 08:40:17

Message withdrawn

Why ?

(what point have I missed this time?)

WideWebWitch Sat 28-Jul-07 09:12:33

This is apocryphal

WideWebWitch Sat 28-Jul-07 09:13:50

Sorry, am repeating others, had only read OP

Charlottesweb Sat 28-Jul-07 09:14:16

Heard this numerous times. Although it's always a local store..... any of them

cornsilk Sat 28-Jul-07 09:28:11

Have been told this story many times, always about a different store/supermarket. This and the one about the man sat in the car when someone comes back from shopping who turns out to have a knife. Very common.

lionheart Sat 28-Jul-07 14:01:34

I did wonder, trippleshot, because I thought I'd heard it before.

Actually, it was also used as the plot of one of those US crime dramas which I never watch.

MrsScavo Sat 28-Jul-07 14:33:49

I heard this happened at Blue Water. Has anyone ever been in a shop when it has been "locked-down"? Surly it would be very dangerous should a fire occure.

Budababe Sat 28-Jul-07 14:43:24

I have heard of this happening in a Tesco in Budapest, a Dunnes Stores in Ennis in Ireland, and now this one.

Oh and Peter Jones in Sloane Square!

FluffyMummy123 Sat 28-Jul-07 14:43:32

Message withdrawn

Budababe Sat 28-Jul-07 14:47:12

Isn't it amazing though how this myth has travelled around the world? Bizarre.

itwasntme Sat 28-Jul-07 14:48:54

In the last two years it has happened in at least three different shopping centres in Barcelona too.

Bloody widespread problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now