Male small talk in a sports free world

(8 Posts)
Pan Thu 07-Nov-13 10:15:56

apols there OP I read it as 'he avoids'.

Some thing though, just change the subject, or say things like " I thought we was robbed, it was never a pen". Or anything similar - most sports talk is infinitely inter-changeable.grin

SilverApples Thu 07-Nov-13 10:08:09

'Sometimes we make insightful observations on the state of the world. Sometimes we talk a load of old bollocks about everything and nothing.'

This. grin
Or he could try the girly response of listening to someone else go on and on and on about a subject, whilst he nods and makes interested noises.
My OH talks about all sorts of stuff, from music to politics to art and beer.

Cadastre Thu 07-Nov-13 10:03:45

He IS avoided at work releated events. Jeez was meant to be light hearted - jokey.

Pan Wed 06-Nov-13 09:33:30

OP, I massively doubt if your DH avoids work related events for this reason. IF he does it's a bit of an indictment of his social skills. You don't appear to spend much time around men. What do we talk to you about?

Sometimes we make insightful observations on the state of the world. Sometimes we talk a load of old bollocks about everything and nothing.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 06-Nov-13 09:22:59

My DH has zero interest in any sort of team sport, it doesn't seem to cause him any particular problem. confused

TheLeastAccomplishedBennetGirl Wed 06-Nov-13 09:17:46

Families, holidays, the weather, TV, films, gardening, politics, current affairs, food?

What does he do when he's not at work, he could talk about that.

austenozzy Wed 06-Nov-13 09:10:06

tech stuff, news, travel, food, tv, films. blokes aren't aliens, you know!

Cadastre Wed 06-Nov-13 08:48:18

My DH is studiously avoided at any work related event because he's one of the lesser spotted, doesn't like sport, guys. The conversation usually goes like this:
Random Male "So Mr Cadastre, how about that team then?"
DH - "I don't like soccer sorry"
Random Male slightly surprised "Oh so you're a rugby man then?"
DH - "No I don't like sport at all"
Random Male starts edging away looking at DH like he's a freak.

So what would they talk about at the water cooler? I'm my job it's this match this and I got tickets for that game. What would they say to each other?? Weather chit chat? Tool talk? Imagine the uncomfortable silence as two males with no sports in common try to share a small space?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now