Scared of dying

(6 Posts)
mostlyconfused Mon 07-Oct-13 23:46:15

This might seem a bit nuts, but is anyone else scared of dying now they have kids? I'm not even ill or anything. I can't bear the thought of them growing up without me. Of the hurt they would feel. I think of my daughter crying for me and me not being there to comfort her. I can't watch any films were the mum dies without completely breaking down. My husband is wonderful but I don't know how he would cope.

Does anyone have thoughts like these?
I don't think about it a lot but when I do, it breaks my heart.

Nigglenaggle Tue 08-Oct-13 12:31:38

This is what no-one ever tells you. Become a parent and commit yourself to a lifetime of worries like these!! I think it's normal xx

mamaandchild Sun 03-Nov-13 17:51:48

It only makes me think I wish I started having kids younger so I could be there for grand kids etc.

I try not to think about it because it scares me like nothing else could. They need me. I remember a friend saying (after we'd heard about a friend of another friend dying and leaving young dc) 'my dc adore <<their dad>> but they depend on me'

Just try and avoid those films OP.

MrPricklepants Sun 03-Nov-13 17:58:04

It's perfectly normal I think every mother (every parent) fears this. It hit me after my DS was born, up until that point I hadn't even remotely considered my own mortality.

hellymelly Sun 03-Nov-13 17:59:31

Oh Gawd I worry about this all the time. Not at all helped by being an older mother (I've had both mine in my 40s). It is my biggest fear, strangely I rarely worry about my children dying, ( perhaps it is so terrible a thought that I can't even entertain it?) My friend was chatting about a freind of hers who has died suddenly at 45, and I felt sick with fright, I had to change the subject.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now