Do we have weird eating habits on this country?

(58 Posts)
orangeandlemons Mon 08-Apr-13 17:40:21

Have just returned from a hotel stay. Guy next to us had 2 plates of cooked breakfast. One for himself, and then one we assumed for someone else. However, he ate the first one, then the second, and then went for toast and cereal. I would have been sick. I think this attitude is really pre leant where people have paid for a breakfast, and are determined to eat every bit of it.

Then whilst travelling, all service stations are rammed full to bursting of people buying shed loads of huge bags of sweets. Everyone who passes in a car seems to be scoffing something.

Finally the cinema, how do people afford and eat all that shit? Burgers, dogs, fries, skins, nachos and they just sit there shovelling it in.

Now I am no skinny Minny at all, and am as fond of crap and goodies as the next person, but the nation seems to have turned into some kind of eating machine

HandMini Sat 13-Apr-13 18:37:46

I will stick my head above the parapet and say that we snack and I like it that way.

I'm at home with two toddlers and I like the rhythm it gives our day. Breakfast is at 0730, lunch at midday and tea at 1730. We sit down at a little table and chairs at about 10 and about 3 and share a plate of sliced fruit/cheddars/rarely something sweet. I have a massive mug of tea, they have water in sippys.

It's sociable and it reminds them to drink some water.

I don't allow snacking in buggy, but we would frequently walk to park and have our morning or afternoon snack in the park on a bench.

As long as you "allow" for the snack calories, I think it's nice.

nooka Sat 13-Apr-13 18:55:48

When my children were little snacks were essential especially after exercise so I would have been that mum giving a their dc food in the changing room, and on pick up from school. If I hadn't then ds in particular would have totally flaked out. When I was growing up if I didn't have a fairly steady food intake I had a tendency to faint, and we know not eating enough is a trigger for dd's migraines now.

I don't see food as the enemy, but I come from a tall thin active family. Re eating habits my school in the 80s served chips every day and most of my friends visited the newsagent for snacks every morning and afternoon.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Sun 14-Apr-13 09:07:17

Perhaps it's not kids snacking that's the change since the 1970's, but people continuing to snack as adults- i.e. instead of stopping snacking, they carried on. Now, here's a suggestion. Put obesity rates and smoking rates on a graph, and I imagine there would be a statistically significant correlation. I think in the 1970's around 50% of British adults smoked. That's now 10%. Obesity rates have gone the other way.

One public health crisis for another. The grim reaper is a creative dude grin

Yep Scruffalo it was The Men Who Made Us Fat - all 3 episodes are available on YouTube, and I found them very interesting.

Wishihadabs Mon 15-Apr-13 19:03:12

Just watched the men who made us fat. I have been thinking about this thread, the program seemed to suggest that children eating treats after school was an ad man's invention. Do you think this is true ? As a child in the 80's we always had something when we came in from school like crumpets, tea cakes or sometimes just toast and jam. I don't think this is a new thing. Ds is horrible if he doesn't have something quick release e.g.; sugar and starch between 330 and 4pm.

ivykaty44 Mon 15-Apr-13 20:37:20

thats cos his lunch has let him crash, so by 330-4 he is really low and instead of looking at feeding him t this point look at the food and amount he had at lunch, if you want to dont mean that in bossy way.

Theproblem at school is the children want to eat their lunch quickly otherwise they miss out on play time - sop perhaps dont eat enough at this time.

Wishihadabs Mon 15-Apr-13 21:34:09

Well I have limited control over how much lunch he eats. I just don't think this is a new thing.

nooka Tue 16-Apr-13 06:50:48

My ds would crash by that time even if he'd eaten a good lunch full of low GI goodness. He was just very active and had a fast metabolism. Although I agree at school sitting down and eating lunch wasn't his top priority.

I always had toast and jam or peanut butter, apples and digestive biscuits (not many treats in our house growing up) when I came home from school in the 70s/80s. Plus as a teen I had a roll with honey at break time. And I bought chocolate from the sweetshop if I could scrounge enough money!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now