help! am stuck in aberystwyth at horrid guesthouse pls help me find a nice pub or restaurant!

(33 Posts)
edam Sat 30-Jun-12 18:25:33

Travelling for work hotel bumped us as overbooked to horrid guesthouse - can't stay in my room all eve pls recommend somewhere to go

Sposh Sun 01-Jul-12 16:59:01

Maybe the University bars are considered private? Mind you, I was there in '88-'89 so entirely likely that the laws have changed since then!

teaandthorazine Mon 02-Jul-12 10:49:50

There's nothing else to do in Aber on a Sunday except get pissed! grin

Awwww, poor old Aber, I loved it there, you're all meanies! Although it is considerably more attractive in the sunshine... And yeah, it does make Birmingham look like Monte Carlo grin

edam Mon 02-Jul-12 11:16:52

We jumped on the 9.30 train as had no wish to spend a second more in Aber. Only for the guard to announce, after we'd set off, that there was no refreshment trolley. It's a FOUR HOUR journey to Birmingham International where I was changing. Mind you, would have been no use knowing in advance as all the shops were shut - even WHSmith, ffs. We were reduced to sharing a stale bottle of mineral water I'd forgotten to throw out the night before, and taking it in turns to have a spray of Bach Rescue Remedy mouth spray...

DowagersHump Mon 02-Jul-12 12:10:40

My boyfriend came to visit me and couldn't believe that you couldn't even get petrol on a Sunday, much less a drink. Actually when I was there, I have a vague recollection that the trains didn't run on Sundays but that can't be right can it?

edam Mon 02-Jul-12 12:54:27

They do now, praise be!

You can drink on a Sunday there now, but I know you couldn't in the 1970s.

DowagersHump Mon 02-Jul-12 13:27:18

I was at university there in the mid 80s Norman <am old, but not that old wink>

gillyisace Mon 16-Sep-13 12:04:46

I would like to know where that guest house is? I've lived in Aberystwyth for over 23 years & it's a great place to live with lots going on! There's recently been a lot of money spent on making the town look smarter. Don't forget there are lots of students who came here to study & never returned home - so it can be that bad can it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now