Tearoom 35: Sun, sea and sand...

(990 Posts)
beanandspud Sun 27-Jan-13 20:33:55

This breathtakingly beautiful island has unspoilt powdery white sand beaches, crystalline turquoise waters that wash over pristine coral reefs, and verdant green rainforest.

Scuba diving, snorkelling, kayaking and sailing trips are available and you can discover the island's charms on foot (with or without Mellors the guide) by mountain bike or private island buggy.

For those in need of pampering the spa offers a selection of luxurious treatments to soothe and heal both body and soul.

For dining, enjoy a freshly prepared meal at the tearoom, a picnic on the beach, or a delicious dinner in the oceanfront restaurant with its stunning sea views. There is wine, brew and good company, everybody is welcome.

mistlethrush Thu 01-Aug-13 14:30:41

Many congratulations Scout! grin

Scout19075 Thu 01-Aug-13 14:35:29

On the 22nd/23rd I'll have lived here eight years. shock

I know this date because I left the night of my parents' wedding anniversary and arrived at stupid o'clock the next day.

I feel so old today....

beanandspud Sat 03-Aug-13 21:27:21

Happy Anniversary Scout!

MT - I hope you're recovering, the physio sounds pretty brutal.

We are getting very used to this weather smile Weekends have become really lazy - time in the garden, walking into town to pick up meat/fish to barbecue and breakfast/lunch/dinner outdoors...

Would anyone like to join me in a glass of prosecco?

UniS Tue 06-Aug-13 21:54:49

yes please wine Unis passes over her glass. LONG drive today. I saw more of Basingstoke than was strictly necessary. Failed utterly to find a supermarket and ended up at the town centre shopping mall ( boy needed a wee) having an uninspired burger.

Stonehenge visit was brief.. boy bored after 20 mins. thank goodness we have NT cards and hadn't shelled out a fortune to visit.

Scout19075 Fri 16-Aug-13 09:27:50

ooohhh, cake!!!! Just in time. SmallBoy was asking for birthday cake for breakfast when he saw presents.

Scout19075 Fri 16-Aug-13 22:55:57

Mmm, more cake and a bit of wine. Who would like some?

UniS Fri 16-Aug-13 23:32:34

we have cake ?? move over and cut me a slice too.

cake and wine... perfect combo. Thank you scout. and happy birthday small boy.

Scout19075 Sun 18-Aug-13 14:32:07

More cake and wine anyone? I seem to have loads left.

UniS Sun 18-Aug-13 21:03:17

one can never have to much cake thank you scout. was it a real birthday cake with candles and fancy icing?

Scout19075 Sun 18-Aug-13 23:21:13

It was a chocolate fudge cake with swirly icing decorations and angel candles & mini sparklers. My PiL went all out for me this year. I have been truly spoiled.

Took SB to the opticians on Thursday -- he has a referral to the hospital, mostly because of his age the optician wanted another opinion. I see glasses in his very near future as he is definitely having problems (and the results from the optician's tests agree).

Also took SB to his first cinema film. He sat on my lap (because the chair collapsed on him and he didn't like that) completely entranced by the whole thing. He has said he likes the cinema and would like to go again. It probably helped that he got to eat chocolate stars and popcorn to his heart's content while watching the film.

UniS Mon 19-Aug-13 18:16:33

arrrh, sorry, it was YOUR birthday cake.. HAPPY birthday scout.

Jacksmania Mon 19-Aug-13 19:48:20

Is there room for more birthday cake?
Can you ever have too much birthday cake?

cake

Scout19075 Sat 24-Aug-13 14:07:12

You can never have too much cake, birthday or otherwise.

Ahhh, the sun, the sea, the sand -- it must be holiday in Devon. Lovely.

I waved at you, UniS, as we went past, though I suspect you didn't see us.

We started vacation much earlier than I anticipated this year and have had a very good (though very boy-centric) week on our way to the coast. MrScout got to help drive a steam engine and SmallBoy got to spend quality time on the footplate (though not when the engine was in motion but it was still very exciting for him). SiL with the large brood was not invited on holiday this year and already, one day it, the whole holiday has a much more relaxed, happy feel to it. SB has been to the toy shop and used some of his "pocket money" (money my MiL has been giving him money every time she sees him for two months to save up for holiday spending at the toy shop) on a (George Stevenson's) Rocket for his train set -- he has been playing with it ever since. I have had a chance to wander around sans boys (both tall and small) this morning and soon we're off for a proper cream tea. YUM.

cake and wine anyone?

beanandspud Sun 25-Aug-13 23:06:01

cake gringrin

Hello Tearoomers!

We are having a lovely holiday! Small Bean has made lots of friends and looks so happy. There is much wine and plenty of [sunshine] !

Scout, give me a shout if you find out more about SB's prescription, I may be able to give you some information.

UniS Mon 26-Aug-13 21:20:31

Thank you for the wave, but no, I didn;t see it. Saturday was a bit mad busy. Boy and DH were in a show ( I was helping backstage) in the afternoon. and then we hared up north to see family for the weekend.

The show went well , it was a fashion show ( catwalk format) , boy had 6 different outfits to model and DH 3. Boy won "best child model" for eth 3rd year running! DH was awarded best adult model on his first year of taking part. I think boy wins it by being quite keen on "acting " what ever character he is dressed as. He was spy, a knight, a zombie, Bradley wiggins...... so plenty of scope for boy acting.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Mon 26-Aug-13 22:26:34

Oooh, am I too late for cake?

Scout19075 Wed 28-Aug-13 16:49:17

Never too r cake!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 29-Aug-13 17:20:34

Oh good!

Scout19075 Fri 30-Aug-13 13:40:31

Too late..... ggrrrr, stupid phone.

The ScoutTroop is enjoying the last full day of Devon holidays doing what we want, without the extended family, and it's lovely. We're about to go for a ride on Duck's brother and SB is so excited....

beanandspud Sat 31-Aug-13 21:34:08

Sounds like fun Scout, make the most of it!

We're home, Family Bean had a fantastic holiday grin. Starting to think about school/work though next week sad.

Scout19075 Sun 01-Sep-13 09:18:23

As we were driving away yesterday SmallBoy declared "I like Devon." He's just run up to wake up MrScout so they can build his new Lego set.

We're at PiL-shire until Monday morning when we'll drive up to Scoutshire via YOUTshire so not quite back to the real world yet. However, have done two loads of laundry so far this morning and wrapped a birthday present (as well as normal breakfast-y type activities) so it does feel like reality has started again.

Glad Family Bean had a good holiday. I can't remember, is Small Bean in YR or Y1?

UniS Sun 01-Sep-13 21:59:50

Devon is such an easy place to love. We had a lovely Devon weekend too. cycling, and swimming on Friday, a beach day on Saturday and up on the moor this afternoon.

Back to real life from tomorrow, I'm at work, have had to scratch together childcare as CM is full and DH not available. so boy is going to play with a friend for the morning And I have said I will work 2 short days ( 4 hours each) this week instead of one normal day. Back to school on Thursday for all the fun of year 3. New classroom, new breaktimes now they are in KS2,one of his good mates will have left and another child DS is less friendly with, their class will be down to its smallest yet, lets hope year 3 starts well.

beanandspud Sun 01-Sep-13 22:03:30

Hello Scout! Glad that Devon was good fun - lots of happy memories there grin.

Small Bean is going into Y1 where they apparanty have to do "so much work ALL the time...". He should be fine, he did really well in Reception but had a very lovely, cuddly teacher. The Y1 teacher is a little less warm but I think it will do him good.

Would anyone be around for a cheeky Sunday wine?

beanandspud Sun 01-Sep-13 22:04:39

<<waves at UniS>>

Scout19075 Tue 03-Sep-13 21:34:48

Real life is the pits. However, SB had a good day of picnic and playground fun with his friends and then first swimming class of term (we've switched days so that we can keep the teacher we've had since the beginning). Nearly three weeks of being out of his loose routine took it's toll on SmallBoy and finally caught up. After sobbing in his bed about wanting to brush his teeth again and turning down stories (I even offered extra since CBeebies changed their schedule again and his program wasn't on before bed) he was asleep by 6:50 p.m., in his bed, under the covers, cuddling his "best friend, Bunny." We've said tomorrow we'll have an adventure in the wildlife area -- berry picking, bubble blowing and kite flying if the wind is with us.

When do all the Tea Room children go back to school?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now