Episode 34 - The Tearoom moves to New England

(999 Posts)
beanandspud Sat 22-Sep-12 23:25:15

At this time of year New England is famous for its glorious foliage as billions of leaves change from green to a kaleidoscope of colours. The air is crisp and cool ? perfect for hiking, biking or a drive along back roads, where farm stands are piled high with crunchy apples and orange pumpkins.

Everyone is welcome. There are tea, cakes and wine aplenty so pull up a comfortable chair and join us.

The usual rule applies - no fisticuffs please!

Scout19075 Mon 03-Dec-12 17:11:38

I feel a bit bad for the royal baby and for Kate's parents -- how much input/helping do you think they'll be allowed to have/do?

ComeIntoTheMistletoeGardenMaud Mon 03-Dec-12 19:53:30

You sometimes cook three times, Scout? You're a better person than me. The Bloke would be getting the cold leftovers of my supper, not something freshly-cooked!

I think you're right about K's parents. I read a piece years ago - maybe at the time that Sophie married Edward - that said that if your child has the dubious honour of marrying into the Royal family, you pretty much have to give up all expectations of seeing them or spending time with them, except as an occasional guest at Balmoral. Who knows how reliable that is, though?

Scout19075 Mon 03-Dec-12 20:14:08

Not often, Maud, but it does happen. Like, for example, pasta. Reheated pasta is just horrid. So I'll make sauce the first time, make SB's pasta. Put him to bed, make my pasta & reheat enough sauce for me me. If MrScout is late home I'll then make him freshly cooked pasta for when I think he'll be home and reheat the sauce for him.

ComeIntoTheMistletoeGardenMaud Mon 03-Dec-12 20:19:47

Ach, that's not so bad. I thought you were doing three completely different meals.

beanandspud Mon 03-Dec-12 20:24:59

Is there any Monday Bolly left Maud?

Small Bean's first nativity today. There wasn't a dry eye in the house - it was very lovely! I take my hat off to the teachers as I don't envy anyone trying to coordinate 6 classes from three different year groups and I certainly couldn't do it.

Scout - does SB have a lot of Brio trains?

ComeIntoTheMistletoeGardenMaud Mon 03-Dec-12 20:26:11

Dunno, Bean. Shall we summon Mellors and ask him?

Scout19075 Mon 03-Dec-12 20:26:14

Eek, no. Sometimes it's two if it's something I know we're having something SB won't eat (for example, taco night for MrScout & I) but I don't mind that if it means SB will eat (I think he's too little to fully dig in and "make" him eat which trust me doesn't happen if he doesn't want to eat or go to bed hungry).

Scout19075 Mon 03-Dec-12 20:27:03

bean, definite "a lot".

Lovely about the nativity, bean. grin

beanandspud Mon 03-Dec-12 20:52:03

::Mellors arrives bearing Monday Bolly --or wearing Monday Holly--::

Sorry Scout, that was a bit cryptic, does SB have room in his collection for another train as I think Small Bean would like to send him one for Christmas?

UniS Mon 03-Dec-12 20:54:50

ohhhh monday bolly served by a butler wearing nowt but monday holly - hurrah. yes please.

Scout19075 Mon 03-Dec-12 21:00:58

Awwww, that's very sweet bean & SmallBean. In his eyes SmallBoy never has enough trains. He definitely has his favorites but just about the entire collection makes it out onto the rails every day. He also keeps telling me how he asked Santa/Father Christmas for a train/train tracks present for his present.

Scout19075 Mon 03-Dec-12 21:01:20

Oooooh, bolly. Cheers!

Scout19075 Mon 03-Dec-12 21:01:40

blush I don't know where to look, though.

ComeIntoTheMistletoeGardenMaud Mon 03-Dec-12 21:04:24

I hope it's one of the non-prickly varieties of holly, or poor dear Mellors will end up in A&E.

Scout19075 Mon 03-Dec-12 21:13:21

I should know the answer to this question: Is there a proper way to dispose of a British/Union flag? I have a plastic-y one that has seen better days....

ComeIntoTheMistletoeGardenMaud Mon 03-Dec-12 21:15:10

As far as I know, Scout, you can just sling it in the bin dispose of it respectfully.

Scout19075 Mon 03-Dec-12 21:17:34

No words over it, no ceremonial burning in a respectful way, no saluting? I feel slightly cheated.

UniS Mon 03-Dec-12 21:17:39

yes scout - one puts it in the bin. British sentiments about our national flag are far less touchy than the typical US citizen's.

ComeIntoTheMistletoeGardenMaud Mon 03-Dec-12 21:20:27

Yes, we don't have the same sort of codified rules about dealing with The Flag.

ComeIntoTheMistletoeGardenMaud Mon 03-Dec-12 21:21:28

My dad had a very tatty old flag when we were little, that my brother and I used to make a den in the garden.

Scout19075 Mon 03-Dec-12 21:23:36

I must say ceremonial disposal of an American flag is actually very moving/touching says the girl that has only ever done through Girl Scouts, not a bigger one like the military. It feels weird but so be it, the tattered plastic flag goes in the bin. Ack!

UniS Mon 03-Dec-12 22:35:39

Boys pirate ship bicycle had a tatty old st georges flag ( from church tower) as it's sail.

Scout19075 Tue 04-Dec-12 19:49:08

I need sleep but I have so many jobs to do....

mistlethrush Wed 05-Dec-12 10:12:00

I have a nice mental image of boy with St George's flag on his bike....

Scout - hope you got some sleep.

UniS Wed 05-Dec-12 18:31:25

ahoy me haearties.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now