"oh you will change your mind"

(28 Posts)
GimmieChocolate Fri 17-Aug-12 20:59:02

Background:my DD is only 12 weeks old so I know most parents of one so young don't even entertain the idea of a second yet.

Even before I was pregnant (and don't flame me too much for this comment) I'd always said I want a little girl and if I'm blessed with one I'll be happy to have just the one child. We kept the sex a surprise and when DH told me we had a girl I was over joyed.

I'm still of the thought I only want the one. I love her more then I thought I could ever love anyone (sorry DH but it's a different type of love) and we could give this little girl everything - but not spoilt.

Everyone says to me "oh you say that now but just you wait" or "you'll change your mind after a while" but I just don't see it happening. Why can't people accept that I only want her? I've said it since before I was even pregnant so why should I change my mind?!

Why do people seem to think you should want more then one? What's so wrong with having just one child?

Ok, rant over. Sorry!

elQuintoConyo Sun 31-Mar-13 18:49:48

Wow, I though I was a one-off freak for being happy with 1! I've also had the, 'oh just wait... you'll change your mind... lo will start asking for a brother/sister... wait until lo starts school and you'll want another...' etc, time after fucking time.

Horrible birth. Long-lasting post-birth complications. No money. No desire to do it all again (DS is 16mo). DS is a naughty little bugger about EVERYTHING. I love him more than life itself and he's everything I've ever wanted in a baby (plus he wakes up and kisses me first thing in the morning smile ). But one is enough.

I shall try Valpoliandtheivey's no-smile-no-smile-no-smile until they start twitching, haha!

I shocked my DSil yesterday with 'one is enough' while we entertained her and DBil and their 5 kids in our small house with chocolate!

I'm an only child and can confirm that it is far from cruel! I personally wanted (and have) two children - well actually I wanted one and a half, but that's not an option - but I had a perfect childhood.

tribpot Sun 31-Mar-13 19:15:56

I also find the comments about needing siblings weird, and I come from a very large and blended family, so have (sort of) three brothers and two sisters. The full range of full sibs, half and steps. My DH on the other hand has one brother, who he never sees. I don't think they've ever really got on. Certainly they have nothing in common.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now