Television at nursery

(32 Posts)
tiger66 Fri 12-Oct-12 11:49:13

Just wandering what the thought are about television at nursery? I have my own views and am just wandering if they are the views of others or if I'm being a stuffy mother!

tiger66 Thu 08-Nov-12 11:54:45

Thanks all, my views by a lot of you but nice to know that I am not alone. Not surprisingly they have stopped watching television. There are a few issues that I have started to unearth so I shall seriously be looking into moving somewhere else. Thanks for all your advice

morethanmama Thu 08-Nov-12 12:05:21

I moved my daughter because of tv. It's plain lazy and used when understaffed to enable tidy up etc.

tiger66 Sat 10-Nov-12 21:47:40

Their latest comment was that they were overstaffed - my question then is if that's the case - why the are you watching telly!
Unfortunately struggling to find an alternative childcare provider that can provide the days I need!

mindyourhead Sat 10-Nov-12 22:03:41

Ds' old preschool had a tv and they had an outstanding offsets. He went there for 1 afternoon a week when he was 2 and I never knew they had a tv until we went for a few trial mornings ready for when he was supposed to do 5 mornings after turning 3. I thought it might be a one off the first day but when I saw it on 3 days in a row I chose a different nursery for his funded hours x

TiggyD Sun 11-Nov-12 11:16:48

I did an experiment at one of my nurseries once. We had a TV that we sometimes watched, mainly for Something Special as we had no children with obvious Learning Difficulties and we wanted to bring up the subject with the children. I wondered what would happen if I just put on the TV on Cbeebees and left it playing away in the corner. The result was all the children watched it for about 20 minutes then started wandering away. After about 45 minutes there was nobody watching it. Occasionally one or two children would wonder over and watch 5 minutes of TV then go.
If it's offered as one activity along with sand, drawing, construction etc, like any other activity, children would usually choose to do something where they could get involved. Why watch other people do stuff when you can do it yourself?
I think TV can be used as part of a good nursery. Not in the way most nurseries use it though. A well picked programme (Off of you tube or other computer source) can be used to reinforce the children's learning, or to stimulate it and direct it. Just been on a trip to a zoo? A little programme about zoo animals would be good to link in with the trip. The children have found a frog in the garden. As well as finding a book about it why not watch an explanation of it's life cycle?
It's what you do with it that counts.

Like crak I'm ok if it's during pick up time on a rainy day. On sunny days they should be playing in the garden. Otherwise during the day, it's not acceptable rain or shine.

Agree with what tiggy says too. But maybe DD at 20mo is far too young to actually sit in front of the tv for too long. I found 20min is about the limit and she would start wandering away. (I get about 20min to cook as a result)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now