Nursery failings led to horrendous incidient involving my DS

(65 Posts)
ADME Mon 02-Apr-12 22:50:36

Hi all, I need to share something awful that happened to my DS at his nursery this January - to make parents aware of the totally shocking state of operation that some nurseries are allowed to get away with , and just because a nursery has an Ofsted certificate it counts for nothing. Please please don't assume anything with your childcare. I've been left completely traumatised and unable to sleep since the incident.

On 30th January my 18mth old DS was involved in a horrific incident at his private nursery, he had only been attending for 7 days before it happened. He was left to sleep in a room with no adult supervision and on the same mattress as another child that had known behavioural problems with many biting incidents (this child had bitten my DS on the face the week before). The room was checked at 12:50pm and not again for another 10 minutes, at which point they discovered my son screaming and covered in blood. I have the most horrendous photos. He suffered a sustained attack whilst he was sleeping, by this other child. There was no adult in the room to supervise and stop anything happened, and by the extent of the injuries I think no adult could have come to his aid when he first started screaming. His whole face had been hit, bitten and scratched, including under his chin, his arm, and most shocking both of his ears were torn behind each one, which had to be glued back when he finally got to hospital.

Not only this, the nursery then did not call me for 3 hours, or take him to hospital or call an ambulance for 3 hours. According to Ofsted they handed my DS around and took photos of him. Then waited for the other child's parents to come into the nursery to view my DS, so they could understand the extent of their child's problem.

I am devastated and outraged by this.

Ofsted have since investigated the nursery, and this is still ongoing. But they have discovered that this nursery had a catalog of failings - no processes and procedures in place, no health and safety, no deputy manager, only the owner was first aid trained, who was not always on site, and my son was in fact cared for by a non-first aider. Not all her staff were CRB checked, not all staff were suitably qualified and did not know how to stimulate the children. The staff to child ratios were wrong, the list is endless - please read the current report.
www.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/CARE/EY442567

You may ask yourself why on earth I put my children in this nursery, and I ask myself that question every day. But I went to look round the nursery twice with my DP, and I had friends who had children going there and gave me positive feedback, plus they were Ofsted registered.

However IMO they abused the trust of parents, and fooled everyone in the level of care they were providing.

What I have learned is that Ofsted stands for nothing. In fact this nursery had an Ofsted health and safety inspection 2 weeks before this incident, and they passed the inspection. But when the Ofsted team went in to investigate my complaint they found no health and safety procedures in place - which made the building not safe. So I am shocked that they got their Ofsted certificate 2 weeks earlier. Ofsted were not doing their job properly IMO, and as a result my son experienced this horrendous and traumatic attack. If Ofsted had been doing their job properly the nursery would either not have been allowed to open, or they would have made sure they had correct procedures in place.

I've also learned that due to their huge failings Social Services have requested that they are closed down, but Ofsted seem powerless to do so. I've been told by Ofsted that they have the most amount of power before a license is granted, but then it's virtually impossible to take it away again.

As a parent you would only leave your child with someone that has an Ofsted certificate, because you believe this is the regulatory body that ensures quality. But it's meaningless IMO.

My plight is to make all parents aware of this. To make parents scrutinize providers more, to be more demanding. Before this happened I would never have thought to ask to see a nursery's CRB numbers etc. You assume this is the job of Ofsted, and they wouldn't be registered without these basics. It's outrageous that this can be allowed to happen.

This particular nursery is trying to change I believe, although I still believe they should be shut down as they should not be profiting from childcare given their total disregard for child safety , but it's the bigger picture I want to highlight. That of Ofsted's failings, and to stop any other nursery from operating in this manor.

My children are now in new childcare, and I'm sure you can imagine that I have asked to see all certificates for everything. My older DS is at a new nursery, and my 18month old is now with an amazing childminder... who has shown me her first aid certificate, CRB checks, qualifications etc.... it doesn't stop me worrying every day though and driving myself insane with guilt and anxiety over their well-being. sad

goingwildforcrayons Fri 29-Mar-13 09:47:23

ADME, I didn't see your post first time round, but I've just read it now and am heartbroken for your and your DS. I admire your bravery in not only having to deal with the aftermath of the event, but being willing to go public and raise awareness of serious failings.

blondefriend Fri 29-Mar-13 09:27:52

I have now watched the Dispatches programme. I think you're very brave (along with the other parents including one tragic case). Thank you for making this public.

Helendouglas72 Mon 11-Mar-13 23:30:35

Yes. Thanks for whistleblowing and giving other parents the benefit of what must have been a hideous experience for your family'. It is really shocking.

drjohnsonscat Mon 11-Feb-13 22:05:31

ADME, thanks for letting us know about the programme. I saw your original thread and remember your story which is just awful. I watched the programme and found it shocking that these nurseries can just re-register and as you said, that Ofsted reports don't really mean anything. It's a lesson to me not to take these things at face value.

I do hope your little boy is fully recovered (and also that the other child is getting the help he must need sad) . But also congratulations for taking this on - it must have taken courage to relive it but you've done us all a service.

lisad123everybodydancenow Mon 11-Feb-13 20:32:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Aspiemum2 Sun 10-Feb-13 22:01:51

I have only just read this thread now, wasn't on MN at the time. I felt sick when I read your OP, I have 9 month old twins and feel really emotional reading what happened to your poor boy.
I am not surprised you eventually decided to stay at home with your boys, I would have been the same as you could never trust anyone again could you?

I am glad that the 'nursery' has been closed down and that you have taken part in the dispatches programme but I am so sorry for your ds. His injuries sounded horrific sad

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 10-Feb-13 21:54:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lostonthemoors Sun 10-Feb-13 21:49:56

Adme I remember your thread and thank you so much for the update.

You are a brave lady and I really admire your tenacity in exposing these issues.

I think there is a very big scandal about nursery care to come.

edam Sun 10-Feb-13 21:44:25

OMG ADME, I didn't see your thread at the time. Horrifying. Hope your ds recovered from his injuries, the poor sausage. I'm glad you found counselling helpful and extremely glad you managed to get the nursery shut down.

Also well done on working with Dispatches, the more pressure on Ofsted and DFES to actually do the ruddy job they are supposed to do the better. Smacks of the healthcare regulator, the CQC, ignoring the failings at Winterbourne View, the private care home where people with learning disabilities were abused. Ofsted need a rocket up their jacksies just as the CQC did.

RubyrooUK Sun 10-Feb-13 21:32:41

Thank you for the update OP. I am not surprised you were so shocked and horrified. I'd have been apoplectic with rage.

It does no-one any favours - parents and children obviously but nurseries too - for this to happen.

I can't believe the staff didn't call you immediately. Why were they even thinking about showing the other child's parents your son? The attack was the consequence of their poor supervision, whatever issues that child had.

I was cursing my nursery last week because they called just to let me know that my DS had been a bit weepy and they wanted to check if he had been feeling ill/slept well as he is normally cheerful. I was annoyed at being pulled out of a work meeting for something "unimportant". After reading your story, I appreciate that they keep a close eye on him.

Your poor, poor little boy. I am glad you have found lovely childcare for your DC now. All the best. X

DialsMavis Sun 10-Feb-13 21:01:48

ADME: I think of you and your DS daily when I walk past the grim shut down building of iplayandlearn! (I wonder if we frequent the same playgroups wink) Thanks for the update and the heads up on the program smile

dribbleface Thu 07-Feb-13 17:15:53

Thank you for your update, I remember your thread well.

I am very thankful that the nursery shut down, just a shame it took such a horrendous incident and a long list of failings to do it.

The changes to the Ofsted ratio's are, in my opinion, going to be abused by poor quality providers.

ADME Thu 07-Feb-13 10:21:53

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their comments on my thread. I was questioning my reaction to what happened to my son, if it was normal to be so upset, to not be able to get over it or let it go. I wondered if I was over reacting, being stupid for being so upset. And all your comments normalised it for me. Made me realise that my reaction was normal and understandable, so thank you it really helped.

Anyway a year on I just wanted to say that some very positive things have come out of telling my story. Firstly the nursery was finally closed down, stopping any other child suffering at the hands of the incompetent owner. On a personal note I did get some counselling which helped a lot, thank you for your advise. Although a year on my anxiety levels have still not returned to normal, and I suppose they never will. I took 2 months off work to look after my boys in the immediate aftermath which was nice to have some quality time. But since going back to work I’ve struggled so I’ve just quit work for good to look after my boys myself, which is a good thing.

From this thread and others I have written lots of people have said they will now question their nursery more and not take it for granted that everything is in place just because it is registered with Ofsted. The NSPCC have issued new guidelines on what parents should be looking for in a nursery. And finally Dispatches have commissioned a programme on this very topic that will appear on Channel 4 next Monday, 11th February at 8pm, to ask the question ‘how safe is your nursery’. Bringing to light Ofsted’s failings in allowing nurseries to operate in this awful manor, and not safeguarding children. I am interviewed for this programme along with 2 other parents who were so badly let down. Hopefully this programme will force Ofsted to be more accountable, improve their processes, make nurseries realise the awful consequences of not having in place all the health, safety and welfare procedures this should have, and make parents more demanding and question their childcare provider. All of which should push up the standard of care.

www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/series-115/episode-5

lilybeansmummy Mon 14-May-12 17:17:33

omg as a nursery worker and mother i am shocked and disgusted by what has happened to your little boy, i understand incidents happen but dear goodness that was just negligence, to leave him for 3 bloody hrs suffering is a disgrace, i actually cant understand how they are still open! why on earth was he sharing a mattress? surely at his age they wud still put them in cots? and how legally cud they only have 1 person first aid trained? if i was u i wud make sure every parent that has a child in that nursery knows what happened to your child! they cant stay open with no business!!

Jux Fri 11-May-12 21:33:16

Oh you poor thing and your poor, poor son. I do hope he's OK now.

You're right though. Ofsted is a complete waste of resources. It should be consigned to the dustbin. I haven't a good word to say about them really.

Agree that counselling will help you get past this. Good luck.

LoopyLoopsTootTootToots Fri 11-May-12 20:57:49

oh sad this made me cry How is he now? I'm so sorry this happened, it is horrific.

Counselling is a really good plan. How horribly traumatic. sad

Deputyatlovelyhomelynursery Fri 11-May-12 20:39:23

Thats is shocking!! I'm so sorry to hear this and completely shocked! 100% that nursery should be shut down!

scary story
i went on to their website- it is very out of date - talks about vacancies for july 2010
large sections under construction
can the police be involved in any shape or form
civil action?

Coconutty Wed 02-May-12 17:44:52

Oh you poor thing. I am usually dead against suing people but in your case I would be taking legal action.

How old was the other child?

hardboiledpossum Wed 02-May-12 17:39:31

That sounds horrific, I'm so sorry for you and your DS xxx

doormat Wed 02-May-12 17:30:07

omfg this is awful..hugs to you and your ds xxx

OFSTED are spineless

elizaregina Wed 02-May-12 16:45:18

OP there is a raging debate on AIBU thread - under FIL - about this very issue, some nursery workers have bravely gone on to say that SOME nursiers are not all they seem, staff lie, pick on children, leave babies, and some people are attacking those nursery workers saying they must be awful as well!

I wish you would post your story elsewhere so people can be aware of this. I worked in old peoples home a long time ago and its same set up - there are great nurseries, staff people - but also some bad!

sheeplikessleep Wed 25-Apr-12 15:08:37

What an absolutely horrific experience OP, my heart goes out to you and your DS. Heartbreaking.

naturalbaby Wed 25-Apr-12 15:00:52

shock I didn't realise the nursery didn't call an ambulance for the child with burns!

BoffinMum Wed 25-Apr-12 09:58:44

BTW there is no problem with identifying poor nurseries publicly if there is publicly available documentation referring to complaints and problems (for example the document on the Ofsted website I referreding to in my last post) and you confine yourself to reporting the facts, which can be corroborated in the official documentation and any other paperwork Ofsted etc would have relating to the complaint. In other words, it would be fine to say "My DC had an accident, this is what it was, it weas preventable, I reported it, they did nothing, I think this nursery neglected my child." It would not be good to say, "This terrible nursery is run by an ex-stripper out to make a fast buck through baby farming," as you'd be laying yourself wide open to a lawsuit. <caveat - I am not a lawyer but I do have extensive professional experience in education>.

For matters of serious public concern, a third way to speak in public without fear of being sued is be an MP raising something in the House of Commons. For example, there was a case of an Ofsted inspector who hounded a teacher until she killed herself, and this was raised in the HoC as a means of getting the person's name out in the open without fear of censure for everyone, where a court case was not possible (presumably).

Look at Column 430, Bob Blizzard's comments

Guardian report on what happened

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now