The mumsnet Ukulele quiche.

(138 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Tue 09-Apr-13 18:21:31

Started a new thread as the other one is going to get lost in chat.

Place to share tips, songs, websites, compare prongs, etc.

HellonHeels Sat 22-Jun-13 09:36:47

no you I tried guitar a couple of times and just could not do it. I'm getting on much better with the ukulele but I wouldn't say it was easy! Regular practice is the way to go, even 10minutes a day has helped.

anyone bought a decent enough kit they care to link to and is anyone lplaying the ukelele banjo?

HellonHeels Sun 23-Jun-13 07:41:57

I've got a beginner ukulele (looks like little four string guitar). It's a Makala dolphin (google should bring up examples, sorry can't link on phone).
They come in different colours. fine for beginning on, strings are ok and it has a nice sound.

thanks, i got too excited and after searching past UKe threads i ordered a mahalo soprano 2011 beginners uke in union jack design grin . i then found local to us for three pound is a beginners workshop every Wednesday grin grin grin - wish i had got black now blush

HellonHeels Sun 23-Jun-13 10:17:23

Woooo! How exciting - are you going to go on Wednesday? Union flag design uke will be fun :-)

HellonHeels Sun 23-Jun-13 10:19:44

I should say something about tuners. I got a Snark brand tuner (the red one) and really recommend it. very easy to use.

DH has a different tuner for his guitar and keeps stealing mine, he says it's the best one he's used.

i ordered a tuner with mine a cherub i think it was? delivery not due till Wednesday so it won't be this week. because of her union jack design i am going to call her Elizabeth - is that ok? grin

MsUumellmahaye Mon 24-Jun-13 09:19:25

cant find beginners group or lessons in glasgow at all, have emailed a guy but he never replied. does anyone know of any?

HellonHeels Mon 24-Jun-13 12:44:31

MsU I had a look at Glasgow Uke stuff and like you, found very little. There was a Facebook group and some people advertising private lessons.

How long ago did you email the tutor? They sometimes teach over school /college terms so this one might be on hols. The FB group might be worth a try for teaching or class recommendations.

MsUumellmahaye Mon 24-Jun-13 21:22:47

oo never thought of that, yes it was associated with stow college! going to messsage the facebook page, thanks.

oh mine has arrived but no tuner yet though its been dispatched so i have stowed her safely. its a lovely Finnish on it grin

ok so after posting i got it back out and tried with some success to tune her by ear then i practised going from c to f and that was short lived and my fingers have dents in them grin . i was following some t tube to learn this. is this the best way or can anyone recommend a dummies music book? thanks smile

MsUumellmahaye Thu 27-Jun-13 10:35:16

i bought a book but i dont find it easy to follow, think the you tube vids are best! easy it ain't!!!

thanks for that - just come in and my tuner still hasn't come so im royally peed off - went on amazon and saw it was coming from Singapore grrrrrrrrrrr so just ordered another one for next day delivery - a snark one? Will ebay tuther if it arrives ever........

im in tune grin, I can go from c to f and am doing down down up up down up and I freakin love it - dh not so much ha ha! My strumming is a bit patchy - doing the claw method - dear me this is going to affect my life somewhat!

Oh I also have to say the group I was going to go along to I rang today to book on it only to discover its for over 50's!! I was gutted - the lady told me to come along anyway as they are not overly strict but now im not so sure - I don't want the over 50s ganging up on little me confused

wow i proper killed this quiche !! i can play twinkle twinkle slowly and know four chords - others look a bit tricky grin

MsUumellmahaye Wed 03-Jul-13 08:28:28

noyou, i thought i had killed the thread till you came on smile i have no idea where all the ukulele people went. i am finding the strumming really hard, i have learned a few chords had a try of a few others and just thought that it's actually impossible to get my fingers in those positionssmile have had a response about a beginners group starting in september though smile

hello grin grin grin grin i started googling some beginners stuff and downloaded a free crash course booklet by some bret bloke then i printed off somewhere over rainbow and can play that slowly with hit and miss chord changes but getting there smile . today i found a site with cooler songs on i think it was UKedaily and decided to learn songs i like. i printed off a chord diagram thing too. i feel happy all the time ha ha

i keep changing my strum pattern or just do down ones, a plastic pick makes it easier but so loud so think i need a felt one. i think a group would be good attwg am going to continue going alone .

MsUumellmahaye Wed 03-Jul-13 13:44:35

i cant wait to go group. am finding it easier to just down strum. it does make you feel jolly smile

how is everyone doing or have you all given up?

MrsShrek3 Mon 15-Jul-13 22:43:44

yay, can i join you? I have been learning froma work colleague - music lesson lunchtimes! grin
I

now that sounds fun!! i have been googlin various songs and trying to learn them , i did hallelujah for hours last night and dh still didn't get it!! tried a bit of finger picking as well but need to watch that you tube clip again grin

MsUumellmahaye Thu 18-Jul-13 21:44:25

hi all, am currently learning twinkle twinkle, need to practice more!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now