Please note: This topic is for discussions about the surveys Mumsnet is running. It's not the place for promoting other surveys or market-research requests. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a (largish-scale) survey about your product or business on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: UK MNers with a child aged 5-15: take a short survey for Warburtons - & share your best morning tips/breakfast recipes - £300 of Love2Shop vouchers to be won

(253 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 24-Dec-12 10:07:21

We've been asked by Warburtons to find Mumsnetters to:

~ Complete their survey all about the morning breakfast routine in your house - this is open to all UK MNers with at least one child (of approx school age) aged 5-15 years - complete it and add your details at the end and you could win a £150 Love2Shop voucher - here's the link

and also for all parents (whatever age child you have) to please

~ Share your top tips for making mornings run smoothly, your top breakfast recipe tips or top advice on how to get your children eating breakfast - everyone who adds a tip etc will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win another £150 Love2Shop voucher.

This is all in advance of a new book which Warburtons are producing, so please note your anonymous tips/ advice may well appear in the book - as well as stats from the survey. The book will be distributed free of charge next year and there will be an opportunity to get a copy via MN.

Here's the survey link again (at the end you will be redirected to this thread so you can add a comment then)

thanks
MNHQ

NewYearsEvelyn Mon 31-Dec-12 15:40:40

Done. I try not to iron anything in the mornings before work/school. Those days are always the worst. I like being prepared the night before.

just a quick note about the survey - it should ask if someone has a partner or not. weird to think that my answers (single parent) will read the same as the answers by someone who does everything because their husband is a lazy arse and she does everything.

AndiMac Mon 31-Dec-12 16:18:11

My top tip is if you want to make oatmeal for the kids but it takes too long to cool to and edible temperature for little ones is right when the oatmeal is finished cooking, throw in a handful of frozen blueberries. The heat of the oatmeal will quickly defrost the berries and conversely, the berries will cool down the oatmeal to warm rather than roof-of-the-mouth-scalding hot! Makes having a hot breakfast in the morning doable for us.

AndiMac Mon 31-Dec-12 16:19:10

Oops, "too long to cool to an edible temperature".

jackstini Mon 31-Dec-12 17:33:15

As much as possible the night before.
Breakfast bars are not the most evil thing in the world if you are running very late and spelling tests and morning prayers for help in the car are fine!

ClaraOswinOswald Mon 31-Dec-12 17:46:37

I have been known to throw a marmite sandwich and a smoothie at them in the car if we're running late. Any breakfast is better than no breakfast.

UniS Mon 31-Dec-12 20:05:24

Routine, and no conversation. DS and I are not good at conversation in the morning, we need to wake up while jogging along our usual routine. consequently breakfast is exactly the same every day.

majjsu Mon 31-Dec-12 20:29:24

My little girl would pick sweets for breakfast if she could, so I always give her a choice of 3 healthy breakfasts. She always picks toast with jam, I think its because she is copying mummy!

MrsDeVere Mon 31-Dec-12 21:55:08

I get up very early and shower, dress etc before waking kids up.
NO TV allowed in the mornings.
Teach the children to dress themselves as young as possible.
I do not lay out clothes but they are arranged in a very organised way in the wardrobe so children can find them easily.
Children's crockery is kept in a low cupboard so the children can get it out themselves and chose which bowls they want.
Everyone has the same breakfast which is a mix of cereals.

frizzyhaired Mon 31-Dec-12 22:04:45

I try and get up earlier but my son wakes up at the crack of dawn. It's a fairly smooth routine except for my daughter. She takes ages over milk. I've been waiting for the kids to turn 5 so I can quit the morning milk thing. Now that I have, all I need to get right is combing my daughter's hair.

ilikeyoursleeves Mon 31-Dec-12 22:11:47

I get up at 8am, wake the kids up for breakfast and they eat this before getting ready for school / nursery so they don't wipe the milk and cereal all over their clothes! Everything is prepared the night before ie lunch box, shoes etc. sometimes they eat toast on the way to school. I look up the weather forecast and if its raining I ask DH to walk them to school hee hee!

busymummy3 Mon 31-Dec-12 22:21:43

Always make sure uniform and schoolbags done night before
Always get up before them to prepare breakfasts
make pack lunches while kids eat breakfast
let older DC's sort themselves out even if it means they forget to take things /end up missing bus etc
Help youngest DC but only with hair the sooner they learn to be responsible for themselves the better!

lia66 Mon 31-Dec-12 22:48:09

By the time I have turned off my alarm 3 times the dc's have fed themselves , they have whichever cereal they want and help themselves. They will all be dressed as the rule is they get dressed before they come downstairs.

Myself and toddler come downstairs, I give toddler sml bowl of cereal then make up packed lunches moaning to myself the whole time that i should have done this last night grin .

that said, mornings run smoothly. my top tip is don't sweat it or try and rush young sleepy children.

Myself and toddler have a nice breakfast when we get back from school run, we have porridge with butter and fruit, i have coffee and we watch cbeebies.

(can't see any of that ending up in a tips boklet except to say, this is how not to do it. smile )

TrampyPants Tue 01-Jan-13 10:33:23

my toptip is, dont give breakfast options.

hurricanewyn Tue 01-Jan-13 13:43:46

I always make sure the DC's are dressed before eating - they can go to school witha piece of toast or an apple in their hands if needs be, but can't leave if they're not dressed.

YY to no TV in the morning & no options. Get as much ready the night before as possible.

fuzzpig Tue 01-Jan-13 13:47:44

I always do it the other way round - DS is a very messy eater so it'd be risky to put his clothes on before eating!

VivaLeBeaver Tue 01-Jan-13 14:31:36

Dd is a pita for breakfast. Hates cereal and not keen on toast. I find that varying toast toppings helps for a bit, jam, marmite, Nutella, even cheese.

Bell vita biscuits are fab for desperate days!

farmerswifey Tue 01-Jan-13 14:47:04

Try to get everything sorted the night before; have uniforms ironed and ready to go, school bags packed and PE kits located. Set the table ready for breakfast after dinner the previous evening and when that alarm goes in the morning, don't hit snooze however tempted you may be.

musthavecoffee Tue 01-Jan-13 16:22:59

Getting organised the night before with uniforms etc and getting up on time are my morning essentials!

jimblejambles Tue 01-Jan-13 16:56:46

I always try to get up before everyone else so I can have my coffee in peace. The day always seems to be better if I do that smile

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 01-Jan-13 17:00:05

My tip for mornings - get a job that requires you to leave for work before everyone else needs to get up. Sort yourself out, go in early, let husband deal with the school run.

ProphetOfDoom Tue 01-Jan-13 17:06:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

runnyhabbit Tue 01-Jan-13 19:10:08

Routine and habit

As much prepared night before as possible. Little / no choice for brekkie, maybe they can choose a topping (eg what they can sprinkle on top of weetabix or porridge)

TV is used as a reward - once everything has been done (including shoes on) then they can watch x amount (and I set an alarm on the cooker)

And I agree with those who've mentioned the amount of time it can take to leave the house and then get off the drivegrin

MushroomSoup Tue 01-Jan-13 22:46:05

Daughter (8) has an alarm clock and I have sneakily set it so it looks to be 10 minutes later than it is! She turns it off and goes back to sleep but it means she's more awake when I go in after five minutes than she would've been without it! And she's still up five minutes early! This only works well because she hasn't thought to check the time

trice Tue 01-Jan-13 22:52:54

I put DDS toothbrush in the downstairs loo as otherwise the dcs fight over the sink. And we frequently brush her hair at school as she won't stay still at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now