Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

NOW CLOSED Toyota Verso tester review thread. Non-testers, tell us how you'd like your car to be more versatile - £200 Love2shop voucher to be won

(153 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 03-May-13 11:56:13

This thread is for the 8 Mumsnetters who are taking part in the extended test drive of the Toyota 7 Seat Verso over the next few weeks. Five testers and their families will also be making a video of their test drive - so look out for these on Toyota's page on Mumsnet soon.

Below are some questions for you to answer over the course of the test drive - please don't worry about answering all of them straight away, some may be more relevant after you've had the car for a week or so.

We'd like you to post updates on this thread at least twice a week - more if you'd like!

Questions
What were your/your partner's first impressions of the car?
What do the children think of it?
Do the children fit comfortably in it?
How easy is it to fit car seats/ adjust seats etc?
What's it like to drive?
Is it a comfortable ride?
What's the boot space like?
How easy or difficult was it to change the layout of the seats?
Does it have any useful extras - cup holders etc?
Has testing this car made you more or less likely to buy a Toyota in future?
Has testing this car changed your perception of Toyota cars at all? If so, how?
What one thing do you like best about it?
What one thing would you change about it?

For those of you not taking part in the extended test drive, the Toyota Verso is all about versatility, so we'd like to hear your thoughts on this - please share on this thread how you'd like your car to be more versatile.
What do you wish your car could do to help make your life easier? If there was one feature or gadget your car could be fitted with what would it be?
Share your comments and you'll be entered into a prize draw to win a £200 Love2Shop voucher

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

thepatioislumpy Sun 12-May-13 11:56:05

Halfbaked I can try that out for you easily when I pick mine up at the w/e. I have a HBB and a stage 2 currently, but I still have a baby carrier in the garage to try it for you. Watch this space and if I don't let you know quickly, remind me - I have an appalling memory grin

I'm getting very excited now!

Halfbaked Sun 12-May-13 17:10:02

Ooo thepatio thank you!! that would be fab, I'm so jealous of you testers, but I plan to get a test drive next weekend.

Just home from a weekend away - driven 160 miles today and don't feel like it at all. Such a comfortable car.

I have a group 1 carseat and a HBB. For part of the journey the boys wanted to sit beside one another and there was plenty of space for this, nothing infringed on the third seat at all so I'd say there was space for any type of carseat in the third seat.

No lip on the boot either - really easy to load the boot up.

And for any other testers - the fuel goes in on the left hand side. I pulled up on the right - the reverse camera came in very handy when manoeuvring between the petrol pumps! wink

... And while the verso doesn't have sliding doors, the doors and the boot are all fairly shallow IYKWIM and open fully in fairly narrow spaces.

Hopezibah Sun 12-May-13 21:35:00

Not on test drive - so here are my thoughts on versatility...

I would love my car to have a cup holder (hubby's car does and the kids love it - they always moan that mine doesn't).

Also deeper boot space. Whilst the verso is really versatile with the seating arrangements, I actually managed to damage a buggy wheel badly as there just wasn't the depth of space I was used to.

My old car used to have a pen clip in the glove box. A tiny bit of plastic and yet it was so useful for keeping the pen handy so it didn't disappear when I needed it most. I would love my car to have that!

prakattack Mon 13-May-13 10:48:14

Non-tester
Interesting to read all these comments. We nearly bought a Toyota Avensis last year but pulled out when we tested car seats - with two car seats, there wasn't room for ANYTHING in-between, let alone a third car seat/ booster! The seat looked really wide but the Isofix points are so far in from the doors that it's basically a 4-seat car...
I wish there was an easier system for knowing which cars fit which configurations of seats, it's very complicated, especially if you have more than two. Or even better, I wish all cars fitted 3 proper seats - can't see a downside myself - more space for everybody!

Also, one thing i miss with my new car is the glove box coolbox - old car had one and I thought it was a really clever idea!

Silverlace Mon 13-May-13 12:01:51

Non Tester
The features I would like on my car that would make it more versatile are:

Sliding doors - had these on the old car and they were brilliant when DC were small and needed getting in and out of car seats. I now spend my time saying "Don't open your door and bash the car next to us!"

Smaller bonnet - I can never judge where the front of the car is

Full sized middle seat in the back so there is space for Grandma

More leg room for 3rd row seats, they really are only suitable for a child. Manufacturers need to think about this as one child doesn't want to sit at the back on their own (while an adult would, ipod on, a bit of peace!)

Belmo Mon 13-May-13 13:19:55

Non-tester, ooh I can think of loads (crap old car!)
Number one would be electronic zappy locking, I think! I'd love one of those reverse cameras that help you park. And cup holders.
No to heated seats though, my dad has them and it feels like you've wet yourself!

Non-tester here.

I like a car which maximises the space inside without being 'big' on the road. Lots of cup holders, of course. Upright boot space - none of these sloping hatchbacks for me, I prefer a much squarer shape at the back. Economy figures in real time in the trip computer screen, with options/tips for optimising MPG for regular trip cycles. Really good ventilation / air con including vents for the back seats. So much more... I could go on!

Doogle2 Mon 13-May-13 14:35:14

Non tester here. I would love a seven sweater car that could have its roof removed. Just because parents have to be practical with their cars doesn't mean they don't want a bit of fun grin

ifindoubtnamechange Mon 13-May-13 14:58:27

My car could be made more useful and versatile by the addition of a function to convert into a helicopeter and fly over traffic jams. However I fear that even the most sought after family cars are unlikely to have this feature any time soon.

So meanwhile I'd settle for built-in (fold-out) extended rear-facing seats.

jes73 Mon 13-May-13 16:49:26

Non tester....and soooooo jealous!!!

I would love for my car to have a kind of waste disposal attachment - our car is full of sweet wrappers and sweets and crisps and the list goes on and on. A good idea would be a smallish vacuum cleaner fitted to clean the inside!

Cup holders on the seats would be nice, as well as a nice DVD player for the passenger seat for the times DH drives. Oh yes and earphones to go with them- so I don't hear the cries for sweets, crisps, 'need the toilet' etc

A good idea would be little attachments on the passenger doors so DC can keep their crisps, etc so I don't have to break an arm passing it to them.

SoupDragon Mon 13-May-13 16:50:53

I would like my car to be fitted with a sound proof barrier between me and the rear seats.

stephgr Mon 13-May-13 23:38:18

I'd love a car that could park itself - I'd have a lot less grey hairs and more money!

heymammy Tue 14-May-13 11:51:39

Right...all booked in to collect the car on Saturday grin. Phoned the dealership this morning, very friendly and helpful, gave me everybody's name including the GM 's and said he would make sure the car is filled up and valeted ready for collection. grin

JParkson Tue 14-May-13 17:31:07

Congratulations to all the testers selected smile (just a smidge envy wink grin )

If I could make the car I drive more versatile, I'd rip it to pieces and start again!

We have a 1.6 estate(ish). The gear ratio is lousy, so anything above 60mph and it drinks like mad. It's also horribly high on the tax rate, as the CO2 emissions are stupidly high for a youngish car (05 plate).

The boot isn't bad, but it's a case of either the dog or the pushchair goes in there.

The whole car needs to be wider, as DS (now 10) was terribly squashed between a stage 0+ car seat and a stage 1 car seat. Both were Isofix (something I am obsessive about), so we couldn't move the seats to give him a bit more room. It's a bit easier now, as DD1 has moved up to a booster with a back support, non-Isofix fitted, so we can squidge it along a bit.

There are times when I wish for 7 seats, just to stop DS from pinching things from either of the DDs lol grin

It's basically a mini-MPV, but I'm not keen on it as I find it hard to handle, especially in windy conditions. It could do with a lower roof line, smaller A pillars, and therefore a longer boot. Essentially it needs to be a proper estate!

mamatiger Tue 14-May-13 17:56:45

Before I got the verso a week and a half ago I would've said I was pleased with my CR-V, apart from it not having enough seats but I got in it today to move it and it felt so clunky & heavy (& ahem, dirty) compared to the Verso. The verso is just such smooth and easy to drive. Another point in its favour was when I realised yesterday how fuel efficient it was compared to my car....I mostly use my car for the school run and shopping trips etc and it definitely guzzles more petrol on an average week.
I've loved being able to take more kids to school and have been able to help out friends with the extra seats.
My britax 1st class also fits in and the fact that each of the 'middle' row seats can move forwards and backwards makes the whole car seat/seatbelt manoeuvring much easier I think.
I have lots of positive things to say about the car but I haven't managed to get the 'shift' message off the dashboard. I really need to read the manual but haven't quite had the time blush
Even though it's not quite the right car for me as a childminder (I couldn't take 5 kids and get a double buggy in the boot for example) it's a fab car. I am going to be desolate when they come get the car on Friday sad in fact I may have to chain myself to it wink

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 14-May-13 19:52:54

mamatiger. I had an extended test drive of a Ford Kuga in 2011 and had to put my skip of a car in for a full clean and valet before the Kuga was returned to ease the transition back!

mamatiger Tue 14-May-13 20:24:23

IwishIwasmoreorganised that is a brilliant idea...I'm doing exactly that tomorrow smile

mamatiger I think the 'shift' message is a constant - it will show up/down arrows if driving in a higher/lower gear would be more fuel efficient.

IrritatingInfinity Wed 15-May-13 08:52:38

I nearly bought a verso, I had even paid a deposit (which was refunded). The reason I changed my mind was that the rear area of te car was a bit cramped feeling. My DC are adult size now and the back seats felt too small. I don't understand why manufacturers make the rear side windows so small.

The feature I like to add versatility to a car is for entire rear seats to be moveable forwards and backwards to either increase legroom or increase storage.

My DS's are over six foot and always end up looking like captured daddy long legs. I don't want to buy a huge hard to park family van though.

rlouisa Wed 15-May-13 17:33:43

non tester

i would love my next car to have enuff cup/bottle holder at the back and more pug spaes at the back too to connect all the gadgets that keeps kids entertained on long trips.

sharond101 Wed 15-May-13 20:07:54

non-tester and IrritatingInfinity you stole my idea! Backseats which can be squashed to allow extra bootspace would be my saviour. This would only work however if I could disable the airbag in the front passenger seat and put my isofix carseat in there. having a dog, baby and pushchair to fit in the car can be a mammoth task.

SoupDragon Wed 15-May-13 20:29:39

The back seats of my SMax move forward and back independently of each other (assuming you mean the middle row, not the pop up ones in the back)

Tigerlily13 Wed 15-May-13 20:53:42

Had a couple of trips to the beach this week. We fit in the pram, and enough bags for a week away - I still need to learn to pack light! Loadsa boot space in the verso which I love, but not much if you needed the extra seats. Love having the cool box to keep our cans cool. The pull down tables on the back of the seats are a good idea, but can't get them down when my toddler is in his car seat as his feet are in the way. Better for kids in boosters I think. Are you sure you don't want me to keep the car a bit longer?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now