Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

Aldi Almat washing powder and fabric conditioner - tester review thread

(105 Posts)
AlexMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 19-Apr-13 10:29:23

This thread is for the MNers' who've been trying out Aldi's Almat non bio washing powder and fabric conditioner. Below are some questions to get you started, but please add any other comments you would like to. All testers who add their feedback to the thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a hamper of goodies worth £100

Aldi say "Our award winning washing range, Almat, has been endorsed by the likes of Which? and Good Housekeeping Institute. We'd now like to hear from the real experts - you, on what you think about our Almat non-bio washing powder and fabric conditioner. We know that washing the family's clothes is an important and careful task - for little ones you want to ensure their clothes are clean and soft and avoid having to re-wash any stubborn stains out, so we've worked hard to develop a product that performs well without the hefty price tag of the big brands.."
Find out more here

Aldi would love to know:

~What do you think of the product packaging? Was the labelling easy to read?

~How do you find the washing powder in terms of effectiveness? Does it clean your clothes well? Do you like the smell?

~How does the washing powder perform on tougher stains?

~We've included the prices of the products below - do you think they're good value for money?

~Do you think you'll buy this washing powder/fabric conditioner in future? If so, why? If not, why not?

~If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Aldi's Almat range to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not?

~Lastly, what's the most important thing to you when you're deciding which washing powder you buy? And do you usually shop at Aldi or elsewhere?

Aldi Almat washing powder - £2.99 per 2.4kg pack (30 washes)
Aldi Almat fabric conditioner - £0.99 per 1 Litre

Thanks and good luck in the prize draw,

MNHQ

MAsMum Wed 24-Apr-13 20:12:06

I thought that it was only me who had difficulties opening the box! When I tried to open it the cardboard strip came off in my hand but the box remained stuck.

The labelling was easy to read but hard to apply as it didn't have a measuring scoop inside. I ended up guesstimating with a plastic cup.

~How do you find the washing powder in terms of effectiveness? Does it clean your clothes well? Do you like the smell?
On every day clothes washes it performed well. There was a pleasant but not overpowering smell from the clothes after each wash.

It worked well on the after effects of a nappy explosion- the heavily soiled clothes came out looking like new. It didn't work as well on more stubborn preschooler stains but then again I would usually add vanish to these washes so wouldn't expect a washing powder alone to get rid of them.( Bearing in mind I mostly do 30 degree washes)

~We've included the prices of the products below - do you think they're good value for money?
I think that the price of this washing powder is perfectly pitched. It's a lot cheaper than my existing powder and does an equally good job.

~Do you think you'll buy this washing powder/fabric conditioner in future? If so, why? If not, why not? I would buy the washing powder as it is reasonably priced and does a good job.( My son's skin is sensitive and this powder agrees with him).Unfortunately though, I will be unable to buy it as there are currently no Aldi stores in Northern Ireland.

~If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Aldi's Almat range to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not?
I would recommend it to a friend who lives near an Aldi store as it is very competitively priced and delivers good results on low temperature washes.

~Lastly, what's the most important thing to you when you're deciding which washing powder you buy? And do you usually shop at Aldi or elsewhere?
I look for non bios which are sensitive to my childrens' skins but are reasonably priced and give effective results at 30 degrees.
No I don't shop at Aldi as there are none nearby.( Would love one nearby though!)

sharond101 Wed 24-Apr-13 20:18:11

Packaging took alot of care to open so as I could keep the box in my kitchen cupboard. i was disappointed there was not a scoop in the box. Labelling was easy to read.

Cleaned well and smell was nice. I prefer my normal conditioner although this one was not at a unpleasant.

Took food stains off my babies bibs which are hard to get rid of.

Excellent value.

~Do you think you'll buy this washing powder/fabric conditioner in future? If so, why? If not, why not?
I normally buy biological powder so would buy the biological equivalent rather than the non-biological provided.

I would recommend it yes. I love Aldi and tell lots of people about it and wold tell them about this product.

The most important thing is how effectively it washes. I normally shop at Aldi.

cookierock Thu 25-Apr-13 12:48:19

The packaging was attractively designed and easy to read although the box of powder was a bit tricky to open so some of it ended up spilling on the floor. I also would of appreciated a scoop so as to know how much powder to use however there are details on the box of how to obtain one.

For general cleaning I found this powder worked well at 40 degrees (my normal wash temp). It does state that it is effective at 15 degrees but I have not tested that theory. The clothes smelled very fresh once dry and were lovely and soft.

It struggled to remove very orange food stains and mud stains from my sons white socks. I am yet to find a detergent that does remove them completely though!

I think the products are excellent value for money.

I will definitely buy in the future if I happen to be in an Aldi store however I would not make a special journey.

Yes I would recommend it as it is good value and washes light to moderately soiled clothes well.

The price is generally the most important thing although I would not continue to buy a product that didn't work effectively just because it was cheap.
I usually shop at Asda but will shop at Aldi when I'm close by.

stimlin Thu 25-Apr-13 13:00:37

Clear, easy to read. Also easy to store in the cupboard

Honestly, I haven't noticed a 'smell' or lasting fragrance. Effective though - I haven't had any major stains thankfully, but everything has come out of the machine nice & clean

See above

Powder is excellent value for money, although not so convinced the softner is.

I dont have an Aldi nearby but if i was passing by & had a few other bits to get I would probably buy more of the powder.

Yes, definately worth a try. My sister lives near an Aldi & have already told her to get some when she's next there.

Price/size of product. Usually shop at morrisons & occasionalyy tesco/sainsburys.

Misschicken Thu 25-Apr-13 14:22:10

Packaging fine - functional and info easy to read.

Powder is effective in cleaning clothes and it smells nice and fresh.

Still needed an additional stain remover for some of the tougher stains but I wouldn't expect any washing powder to get everything out.

Very good value for money.

Would recommend as so many people are trying to save money these days and some people might expect Aldi products to be inferior to leading brands.

I'm guided by price and ease of use - I normally buy capsules as they are less messy.

I'm planning to do a shop at Aldi to compare with where I usually go which is Asda.

DinoSnores Thu 25-Apr-13 14:23:24

What do you think of the product packaging? Was the labelling easy to read?

All labelling easy to read. Clear packaging. A scoop would have been helpful.

How do you find the washing powder in terms of effectiveness? Does it clean your clothes well? Do you like the smell?

Good cleaning. Can't really comment on the smell. It doesn't smell of anything.

How does the washing powder perform on tougher stains?

Managed them well. Really impressed actually.

We've included the prices of the products below - do you think they're good value for money?

Very good value!

Do you think you'll buy this washing powder/fabric conditioner in future? If so, why? If not, why not?

I don't like washing powder as it makes a mess and is a bit more of a fuss to measure, so I use washing tablets, so I wouldn't go out to buy it although I'd happily use it again.

If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Aldi's Almat range to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not?

Very effective and very good value.

Lastly, what's the most important thing to you when you're deciding which washing powder you buy? And do you usually shop at Aldi or elsewhere?

Non-bio, doesn't exacerbate DS's eczema, nice smell, easy to use.
Usually shop with Ocado.

georgieandjess Thu 25-Apr-13 14:57:11

I thought it was quite a large box and not overly obvious how to open it. Once in the box I was disappointed by the lack of a scoop. I was left guessing how much powder I should be using.

I thought it worked well. Clothes came out very clean and the smell is not too strong which is good

The clothes have been stain free. I tend to use Vanish on tougher stains as well.

I do think they are good value for money.

I might buy the powder again. It is good, only disadvantages being lack of scoop (I phoned up for one so will be good when that comes) and the fact that it is quite bulky and now sits out on the counter as doesn't fit it the cupboard. I probably won't buy the fabric conditioner as it is not something I buy much. If I were to buy fabric conditioner though I would buy this.

I would definitely recommend it as it is effective and good value for money

I usually use one with as little nasty stuff in it as possible as both my husband and daughter have sensitive skin so it is not something I try many different brands of. They have had no reaction to this so I may continue to buy it. Price is also important so I mainly buy laundry stuff when they are on offer.
I shop in Aldi most weeks for the majority of my shop and then Sainsbury's for the stuff I can't get in Aldi.

BestLaidPlans Thu 25-Apr-13 16:54:26

The packaging was attractive and surprisingly sturdy. Instructions were clear, although like others, as I usually use liquid I didn't have a scoop. I like the idea upthread of having some available in stores. I was surprised by the dosage instructions on the softener as I thought you were meant to use less on towels to avoid clogging the fibres (this may just be my slatternly housekeeping though!)

Very effective, dealt with several poo-splosions on both white and bright clothes really well as well as more general everyday stains. The fragrance was nicely subtle. However, I wasn't as impressed with the softener which seemed less effective than my usual supermarket own brand.

Fantastic value for money, I'd definitely buy the powder again as it was very effective at a very low price per load. I probably wouldn't buy the softener for the reasons stated above.

I'd definitely recommend if it came up, as it's a great value product.

I look for value for money and gentleness on skin. I usually have an online shop delivered but sometimes visit Aldi when I have the car.

jenni75 Thu 25-Apr-13 17:04:29

Aldi would love to know:

Yes, labeling clear, opened box with tear off strip - no problems.

Cleaned clothes fine, smells fine.

Did not bring out really tough stains, but i think these items would have needed a separate add in stain remover to be fair

Yes!

Yes, I have already bought the exact fabric conditioner today! I would probably buy the non - bio washing liquid though, as prefer liquid

Yes, I would recommend the Almat range, I usually use the colour liquid, and bio gel in the Almat range, and sometimes buy the so soft fabric conditioner

I always buy my washing liquid/gels from Aldi, I sometimes buy fabric conditioners from other supermarkets eg Asda, Sainsburys

jenni75 Thu 25-Apr-13 17:06:49

What's the most important thing to you when you're deciding which washing powder you buy?
Make sure the product won't irrate my family's skin, Value for money, Smell

Packaging looked fine, although like most other washing powders! Labelling was easy to read. Box was easy to open and nice and sturdy but again, like the others, no scoop. And with the sort of box opening you can't even pour it straight into the drawer so you definitely need something to get it out of the box. I often buy BIG boxes of powder for cost effectiveness and dispense them into a smaller container so I have a scoop that I use for that, but most people wouldn't have that.

Seemed to wash fine and smelled nice. However the powder seemed a little more 'claggy' than the persil powder that I normally use, meaning it stuck to my fingers more while I was loading it in and I had to wash my hands every time after using it (I don't normally with the persil that I use)

Pretty well. As well as the persil I would use. I often use the ariel stain removers anyway to deal with stains.

Yes - very well priced

Probably not because I don't really shop in Aldo so doubt I'd make a special trip for it. If I'm honest I'm not even sure where my nearest Aldi is!

If it was someone that I knew shopped in Aldi then yes probably - it did a good job and was well priced.

To make sure that it won't irritate skin and then value for money (as long as it doesn't smell awful)

kelandab Fri 26-Apr-13 00:16:24

I found the packaging a little tricky to open so I thought that maybe it would all go downhill from there, I was however very wrong as this product has proved to be just as good as my regular product!

The packaging 'instructions' were pretty much like any other product, not 100% straightforward but then it didn't take me long to work out dosage size etc

This Is just as good as my regular product, apart from the smell - which is lovely by the way, I don't think there is any difference whatsoever ever in cleaning performance.

The price is amazing! I will certainly be sticking up next time I visit Aldi!

I would certainly recommend this to anyone who will listen! I mightbe able to change most of my friends perspectives that buying brands is buying best - I have discover this is p far from the truth!

I generally buy washing products that are "on offer" but with this price I won't need to shop around to get the best deal

A big thumbs up form the Hirst family 10/10!!!!

cantthinkofanythingfunny Fri 26-Apr-13 13:23:34

All very standard, no issues here. The only issue I had was that it didn't come with a measuring device, I normally use liquid or tablets so I had to use my noddle.

Again no issues, Smell was discreet and it washed my soiled clothes well (2 boys who are constantly outside and grass stains everywhere came out)

As above - As the weather has been nice my boys have been outside at school at at home and there grass stains have come out.

Very good value

I might, it's just I rarely go to Aldi as it's the other side of town to my 2 nearest supermarkets (Tesco and Morrisons)

Yes I would

First I look at special offers and pricing on the big brands (Bold, Ariel etc) I don't normally go for own brands as in my experience they don'y 'cut the mustard' but this one has been very surprising. I don't normally shop at Aldi

Pascha Fri 26-Apr-13 17:00:46

Pretty typical for a box. I had no trouble with the riptape but I can see how easily others did. The labelling and logo is very clear. Whether it would stand out on the shelf is another matter.

It seems as good as my usual detergent. I have little sense of smell so no idea what it smells like but my husband assures me it just smells clean with no particular smell.

It seems to shift the baby poostains well enough.

Yes very good value.

Not likely because we don't have an Aldi very near, if I did I would buy it.

Yes I would because it does as good a job as any other.

Price, ability to do its job. No because there isn't an Aldi anywhere near me.

Pascha Fri 26-Apr-13 17:02:20

Did everybody get fabric conditioner? I didnt.

Pascha Fri 26-Apr-13 17:03:14

Oh yes. No scoop - Pain in the arse because I'm a liquid gal usually.

izzerwizzer Fri 26-Apr-13 17:10:12

Packaging was easy to open, I didn't have any trouble with it. I would have liked a scoop. I read that I could send off for one but that seemed like a hassle. Labelling was easy to read.

How do you find the washing powder in terms of effectiveness? Does it clean your clothes well? Do you like the smell?
The powder cleaned all the clothes well but there were a few stains on a towel that it didn't remove, but I would usually put some vanish in for that. I really really like the smell, and I'm quite fussy with smells. It's fresh and not too strong.

How does the washing powder perform on tougher stains?
Again, it didn't remove tougher stains, but I was washing a white towel at 40 degrees and i would usually wash it at 60 and maybe with vanish too.

We've included the prices of the products below - do you think they're good value for money?
Excellent value for money. Cheaper than sainsburys own brand, which i normally buy.

Do you think you'll buy this washing powder/fabric conditioner in future? If so, why? If not, why not?
I would definitely buy the fabric conditioner again. I would like to try the almat gel instead though because the powder leaves deposits in my machine.

If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Aldi's Almat range to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not?
Yes, definitely.

Lastly, what's the most important thing to you when you're deciding which washing powder you buy? And do you usually shop at Aldi
I look for low price, but still like it to work well. And non bio because i have a baby.
I have started shopping at Aldi recently, but whatever i can't buy on my list i have to then buy from sainsburys afterwards because they don't have as wide a range of products as i like.

cutie101 Fri 26-Apr-13 17:50:29

~What do you think of the product packaging?
To be honest fairly boring and not that eye catching
Was the labelling easy to read?
Yes
Its effective and cleans well but I really don't like the smell I find it toI overpowering even just in the box!
Pretty good, got the pop stains out!
Yes, less than I pay at the moment
I don't like the smell of the powder so wouldn't buy it. I like the conditioner but wouldn't buy it as I don't usually shop there
~If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Aldi's Almat range to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not? It worked but I think the smell put me off so probably not
smell, price and functionality
No, elsewhere

MyDaydream Fri 26-Apr-13 18:19:16

Like a few other people have mentioned I struggled to get into the box as the pull here tab was pretty well glued down, I had to use a knife to get into it. I have noticed this brand in store previously, so it does stand out to me but would prefer a slimmer box as it's quite bulky to store in my small cupboards.

It cleaned my clothes well, although I did notice some powder residue after running a black wash, although this did come off with a bit of a shake when the clothes were dry. The fabric softener wasn't too overpowering, I do like it's subtler fresh smell and would have been put off using it if it was any stronger.

It removes the baby sick out of clothes very well, this is the strongest that is required from my washing powder.

I think they measure up to what I would expect to pay for these products, and similar to own brand in other stores.

I probably won't switch to Almat full time in the future as I don't drive and carrying the powder on the walk home would make my shopping very heavy, but in a washing powder emergency I would go to Aldi to buy this rather than travelling further away to another supermarket, which I wouldn't have done before the trial.

I would mention Almat to friends and family if the subject came up, the family members who know I am taking part in this product test have asked how I'm finding it and I have spoken fairly positively about the product.

I usually go to Aldi for cheap sweets and biscuits, or if I'm shopping in other stores in the retail park where it's situated in my town I'll pop in. This isn't regular, probably once or twice a month.

MyDaydream Fri 26-Apr-13 18:21:02

Sorry didn't fully answer the last question.
When choosing what washing powder to buy I usually look at non bio and how many washes the product estimates I'll get then compare prices for best value.

russetbella1000 Fri 26-Apr-13 20:01:53

~What do you think of the product packaging? Was the labelling easy to read? Packaging was fine but initially quite hard to get into. The tear around strip needs to be easier to grab. Also, like others have said, the lack of scoop is a bit annoying.

~How do you find the washing powder in terms of effectiveness? Does it clean your clothes well? Do you like the smell? The washing powder was effective but the clothes just smelled damp when they came out of the machine, not that usual fresh laundry smell.

~How does the washing powder perform on tougher stains? The strawberry stains came out of my little girl's top so quite impressed. It was a 40 degree wash so think it did pretty well

~We've included the prices of the products below - do you think they're good value for money? Yes good value.

~Do you think you'll buy this washing powder/fabric conditioner in future? If so, why? If not, why not? If I was in Aldi, possibly. Although I prefer the liquid detergents as a rule.

~If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Aldi's Almat range to a friend or family member? If so, why? If not, why not? Yes I would as it's good value.

~Lastly, what's the most important thing to you when you're deciding which washing powder you buy? And do you usually shop at Aldi or elsewhere?*Definitely that it actually washes the clothes well...Also, I do like the wash to smell clean so probably a fresh pleasant fragrance too. Aldi is a bit out of the way for me but I do occasionally go there. I usually go to Sainsbury's for the main family shop.*

Thanks and good luck in the prize draw,

PeachActiviaMinge Fri 26-Apr-13 20:30:53

Labelling was fine nice and simple instructions. DH opened it and claims he had no problems with opening it but couldn't find a little tab to help either.
Again though it does need to include a scoop otherwise DH will use half the bloody box in one go.

I think it works really well actually for a non-bio I'd prefer a nicer smell but with having just quit smoking its still strange for me to noticing the smells of things more.

Really excellently I'm very surprised by this given the cost.

I think they're amazing value for money especially the conditioner.

I will indeed, I need a decent priced washing powder and conditoner with having a baby soon and 2 people in the house with exczma too who suprisingly haven't complained about this stuff.

I would, its good value for money and effective. Everyone's struggling right now so letting each other know what works saves wasted cash and stress.

Price I guess, I really can't afford to be picky. I either shop at Aldi or Tesco recently but usually its a bit of everywhere.

This thread is for the MNers' who've been trying out Aldi's Almat non bio washing powder and fabric conditioner. Below are some questions to get you started, but please add any other comments you would like to. All testers who add their feedback to the thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a hamper of goodies worth £100

Aldi say "Our award winning washing range, Almat, has been endorsed by the likes of Which? and Good Housekeeping Institute. We'd now like to hear from the real experts - you, on what you think about our Almat non-bio washing powder and fabric conditioner. We know that washing the family's clothes is an important and careful task - for little ones you want to ensure their clothes are clean and soft and avoid having to re-wash any stubborn stains out, so we've worked hard to develop a product that performs well without the hefty price tag of the big brands.."
Find out more here

Aldi would love to know:

~What do you think of the product packaging? Was the labelling easy to read? I found the packaging easy to read. It was difficult to get into as I have long nails and found ulling it around tough. I also don't understand why they don't include a measuring cup.

~How do you find the washing powder in terms of effectiveness? Does it clean your clothes well? Do you like the smell? I didn't find it really had a smell. Which was disappointing as I quite like a nice fragrance. I would continue to use my normal brand conditioner

~How does the washing powder perform on tougher stains? It cleaned well. Always hard with non-bio for really stubborn stains to come out. I washed as I would with stain ore treatment.

~We've included the prices of the products below - do you think they're good value for money? Yes

~Do you think you'll buy this washing powder/fabric conditioner in future? Yes the washing powder as it cleaned really well, didn't cause any issues with sensitivities and great value. The conditioner wasn't as good as my normal brand

~If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Aldi's Almat range to a friend or family member? Yes fab detergent and good value

~Lastly, what's the most important thing to you when you're deciding which washing powder you buy? And do you usually shop at Aldi or elsewhere? Cleaning ability. I have never shopped at Aldi. I normally use Tesco or Sainsbury's asi shop online

Aldi Almat fabric conditioner - £0.99 per 1 Litr

violetwellies Fri 26-Apr-13 21:53:55

Unlike some, I had no problem getting into the box, also managed to read the instructions.

Following the instructions everything appeared quite clean, compared well to my usual powder.

Dislike scented powders, this was no worse than many, but I can think of no good reason to smell like a laundry.
However, using the recommended amount my son got the most god awful nappy rash, we did an extra rinse and halved the amount of powder, he now has a milder rash. We had just changed from Ecover zero bio as it was making me itch, to Ecover non bio, so its back to that for nappies.

Enough powder to clean the nappies made for a very sore bum.

Reasonably so.

I dont use fabric conditioner and will not be buying the powder due to
1 ds's bum, and 2, the smell.

It is highly unlikely that it would come up in conversation, but due to the nappy rash no.

No supermarket loyalty, but like to use our local health store who stock Ecover non bio.

Jac4478 Sat 27-Apr-13 06:54:34

I had not problem reading the labelling and found the packaging to be of standard/average for laundry powder and fabric conditioner. It didn't really stand out for me but its acceptable. It would also be useful to include a measuring cup for the laundry powder.

I found that the clothes washed well in general but it was not very effective at removing tougher stains such as gravy. For general everyday clothing, the washing power was acceptable. The smell of the washing powder was quite strong when I opened the box but after washing, there wasn't much of a smell on the clothes. I found the fabric conditioner didn't really have much of a smell either.

Not very good. It failed to remove gravy stains. I was not pleased and had the run the clothing through another clothing cycle to remove the stain.

The price is very competitive and seems good value for money. However the product did not perform well against tougher stains and the fabric conditioner could be better.

I might buy the laundry powder to use for everyday clothing wash but will not use it for tougher stains. Although good value for money, the fabric conditioner could be better. For this reason I will not be buying the fabric conditioner in the future.

I would recommend the laundry powder for easy everyday washing but not for hard to remove strains. I would not recommend the fabric conditioner.

Performance and value for money are 2 conditions I look for in my decision on laundry powder. I occasionally shop at Aldi but my preferred supermarkets are Sainsbury's and Tesco

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now