Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

NOW CLOSED: Chicco Baby and Toddler Toy feedback thread (now with final feedback questions added)

(61 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 05-Nov-12 11:25:28

This feedback thread is for the 21 Mumsnetters who are trying out a Chicco toy with their baby or toddler.

The toys on test are:
~ Rainbow Cube projector
~ Bubble Gym Play mat
~ Quattro Sit 'n' Ride
~ Talking Kitchen
~ Talking Carpenter
~ Talking School Bus
~ Jimmy Thunder

Everyone who takes part and adds feedback as required would be entered into a prize draw where one winner will get £100 of Chicco products they would be sent a catalogue and can choose the products they would like.

So first of all we want your first impressions: please share with us

~ what toy did you try and how old is your baby/ toddler
~ your overall first impression of the toy and it's packaging
~ what did your baby/ child think?

Later we will add more questions to this thread.

In addition you were sent a booklet about the Chicco "happy moments" collection they are offering to buyers this Christmas: please let us know what you thought about that.
(Anyone buying just £29 of Chicco toys between 15 October and 31 December will receive a booklet featuring four great experiences, something for everyone in the family - visit www.chiccohappymoments.co.uk for more information)

Thanks
MNHQ

EarnestDullard Tue 27-Nov-12 15:09:45

DD is 8 weeks old, we got the Rainbow Cube Projector.

~ How has your child played/ interacted with the toy?
There's not really any play or interation required. She does seem to look at the lights though.

~ What do you think are the values of the toy - e.g. what does your child gain from playing/ interacting with it?
It seems to calm her a bit although we've only used it when she's sleepy anyway.

~ Any additional thoughts on the "Happy Moments" - have you been able to redeem the voucher? If so, please share what you did.
Haven't used it (busy with toddler and new baby, sorry!)

~ If you had the Rainbow cube – do you think the toy helped with any bedtime routine for your child? – Did it help create an association of 'bed'?
She's still a bit little for a routine, but hopefully it will work when she's a bit older.

~ Would you recommend this toy to other parents? Why/ why not?
I'd recommend it to someone who was looking for this sort of thing.

~ Do you think this toy is value for money? If so why, if not, why not?
I'm not sure what the RRP is; Amazon seem to have it for about £30 which seems quite expensive. Other light projectors seem to be a bit cheaper. I'm not sure I'd pay the extra for this one specifically, as I'm sure they all work in a similar way. I'd pay £20 (maybe £25) for it.

Mibby Tue 27-Nov-12 19:42:48

Testing the talking Kitchen

How has your child played/ interacted with the toy?

Plays on her own with it and sings but the novelty wore off pretty quickly

What do you think are the values of the toy - e.g. what does your child gain from playing/ interacting with it?

Like to cook people meals but frustrated by the tiny sink

Any additional thoughts on the "Happy Moments" - have you been able to redeem the voucher? If so, please share what you did.

Not used them, not likely too tbh

If you had a talking toy did you like the function of also having the talking in a foreign language – what did you think about this?

I liked the french, DD not so impressed and tells it to talk properly smile

*Would you recommend this toy to other parents? Why/ why not?
Do you think this toy is value for money? If so why, if not, why not?*

Probably wouldn't recommend it, saw it for sale in a toy shop at £40 and thought this was way overpriced for this toy. £20 maybe. Sink is too small and the shape sorter part seems at odds with the rest of the toy, like its for a younger child

awhistlingwoman Thu 29-Nov-12 20:23:11

We tested the Quattro Sit'n'Ride. Officially tested by 18 month old DS1. Like Gwendoline unofficially tested by 4 year old DD2 grin

He liked just sitting on it and using it as another chair! He loved just sitting, pressing the buttons to get the music going and then bopping around whilst seated. He also liked standing in front of it, holding the steering wheel, pressing the buttons and dancing in front of it! He enjoyed riding it, being pushed along it (by me, by DD2 not so much!) and he liked putting toys on the seat and pushing them along. He also liked hiding things (like house keys) IN the seat.

~ What do you think are the values of the toy - e.g. what does your child gain from playing/ interacting with it?
He's definitely got a lot more confident on any sort of ride on since having it. He's even attempted the wheely bug again which he had taken against since falling off a while ago, I think he got a confidence boost from the Quattro! He really likes the music and does a lot of dancing and 'singing' along to it. DD2 thinks she knows which one is his favourite tune! DD2 has also enjoyed riding on it and it has been good for making sure she bends her knees as she has to bend to get on it!

~ Any additional thoughts on the "Happy Moments" - have you been able to redeem the voucher? If so, please share what you did.
I haven't redeemed the voucher. To be honest, the only activity that appealed to me was the Creation Station and by the time I'd thought of booking it, the voucher had disappeared. Probably thrown away by DH.

~ If you had a talking toy did you like the function of also having the talking in a foreign language – what did you think about this?
Our toy didn't talk.

~ If you had the Quattro Sit 'N' Ride – did you like the adaptability – i.e. that the toy can grow with the child?
We only used two modes. Initially I had it set up without the handle, then added the handle on to test it and ended up keeping it on as the kids were using it to play. I think that it certainly improves the longevity of the toy and each element adds another dimension, like adding the handle meant that DS1 could push his toys around.

Yes, I would. I think it's great fun, a wide range of ages would get a lot of fun out of it, it's sturdy and can take being bashed about and the tunes don't seem to get irritating (which I can't say the same of for every toy!) I would echo some of the previous comments that it is quite large, considerably larger than other ride-on toys sold for indoor use.

Initially I thought it was quite expensive for a ride on toy but, having used it for a while, I think it is very good value for money. It's a big toy with lots of adaptability that will last a long time. The steering wheel unit with all the sound effects makes it fun for dancing and singing along too! If DD2 is anything to go by, DS1 will still be playing with this toy for another couple of years!

Thank you to Mumsnet and Chicco for letting us test this! DS1 especially has loved it thanks

BuffyFairy Mon 03-Dec-12 02:13:46

what toy did you try and how old is your baby?

We are testing the Talking Kitchen. DD is now 14m.

DD has played with this toy everyday and it will entertain her for up to 15 mins at a time. She enjoys pushing all the buttons, putting things in and out of the oven and whatever will for through the shape sorters. Her favourite setting is the music one and she will bop along to that. DD gets frustrated that she can't fit anything into the sink.

It's pretend play and copying behaviour. At her age DD is also learning about shapes and size so that element is good for her. The talking part I'm hoping will encourage her vocabulary.

To be honest, I'm not sure where the brochure is. I can't see myself using it. The money would have been better spent on a 'money-off' voucher to redeem against another product or a book token or something like swimming.

~ If you had a talking toy did you like the function of also having the talking in a foreign language – what did you think about this?

I like this. We're haven't used this much so far. I'm not fluent in another language and would love DD to be so view any early exposure as a good thing.

I would recommend for a similar age range to DD and for those with a lack of space but not at full price. DD does enjoy playing with it hence the recommendation. However, if I had the space I would go for a bigger kitchen with room to pretend cook food.

The toy isn't value for money at RRP. I'd be looking to get this product for £20/£25. It's too small and too limited for play to be worth more. It's not the type of kitchen you can add to with food and accessories as there is nowhere for them to go.

We have Jimmy Thunder, DD is 2.8
DD has played infrequently with the car and the wheel together, but separately, they have featured in various games. She has enjoyed using the steering wheel in make believe games about cars and aeroplanes, and the car has been pushed along. Im not sure if she found it frustrating when trying to use them together, and seemed to prefer watching her dad drive it.
I think she has gained an idea about cause and effect from the toy – that she can push something here, and something over there will move, or beep.
Happy Moments voucher – the craft classes are too far away for us, and the extreme experiences near all seem to be tae Kwondo, so not of interest. The 2 for 1 ticket might come in handy next year at a farm park. The beauty treatments – there was no salon near that appealed, but there is one near work which I might use.
I would recommend this toy to other parents, maybe a bit older than DD.
I don’t know the price so I don’t know if it is VfM, but its well made and if you remember to turn it off, the batteries have lasted ok.

NotInMyDay Tue 04-Dec-12 12:58:59

Please again state the toy you received and the age of your child/ baby.
Talking Carpenter. DS 23months

This toy tends to be played with in short bursts as it doesn't hold his attention for as long as cars or trains for example.

Being able to batter it with the hammer was the most fun. The screwdriver helped dexterity and problem solving. The saw was mostly used on his big sister rather then the bench

There was a limited range of family days out and the nearest pamper session was over 40 miles away (this despite me living in the biggest city in Scotland). I am unlikely to use it.

Nice to have. Not must have.

~ If you had the Quattro Sit 'N' Ride – did you like the adaptability – i.e. that the toy can grow with the child?
n/a

~ If you had the Rainbow cube – do you think the toy helped with any bedtime routine for your child? – Did it help create an association of 'bed'?
n/a

I'm unsure. It wasn't the biggest hit for my son but I can recognise that that may be due to his toy preference. I would tell parents of children who like role playing thAt it is a good toy.

I've seen this advertised for £29.99. I wouldn't pay that for what I believe is a toy with limited scope. It would need more elements for me e.g. A hat, a tool belt, a bit bigger.

jollster Tue 04-Dec-12 21:47:39

Argh have now lost a long reply on 2 occasions sad

DS2 is now 11 weeks, Rainbow Cube blue

Very little interest shown.

Minimal due to static nature of lights and IMHO set volume of music too high. It does not relax me or him!
haven't used - not enough to incentivise me even if I had the time.
n/a
n/a
Tried to use after bath and pre last feed, but DS2 quite noisy at this time (SCREAM!) so did not work to calm him, and was too loud to use at bedtime wind down. Have bought a Ewan the Dream Sheep - has volume control, easy middle of the night controls and a fluffy nature to go in crib - no hard plastic box. Sorry sad

No.
No even at £20 I would not buy - the proposition is just not right, rigid light display with non adjustable volume and limited sound choice.

All in all it's a no from me.

PseudoBadger Wed 05-Dec-12 20:06:08

DS (22 months) tested Jimmy Thunders

He enjoys chasing it and restraining whilst we control it with the remote. He also pushes it like a normal car, lines it up with his other cars and likes beeping the horn using the remote.

He learnt that pressing the button would sound the horn, and that it's funny when mummy drives it fast at the wall.

I have not yet attempted to use the voucher.

I already have done as I think it's a nice starter for a remote control car.

I don't know the price, but it seems strong and durable and the features appeal to many different ages/learning stages.

HeffalumpsAndWoozles Fri 07-Dec-12 16:48:04

- We received the Bubble Gym. We have DD1 aged 2 years and DD2 aged 9 weeks.

How has your child played/ interacted with the toy?
- At only 9 weeks DD2 can't yet grab and play with the toys but she does enjoy laying on the mat and watching the light show, on a good day she can happily spend 15 minutes watching the lights while DD1 waves the toys around trying to get her interest. DD1 has played with it a lot too, she loves music and role play so Teddy often has his nappy changed next to DD2 on the mat then she will switch the music on and have a good dance around the room. She also really likes the feature in the middle where the toy can be pulled to create silly sounds.

What do you think are the values of the toy - e.g. what does your child gain from playing/ interacting with it?
- DD2 enjoys the visual stimulation of the light show. DD1 although older than the target audience has also interacted with it a lot as described above. I like that the mat isn't absorbent, it makes for a good place to change nappies as well as play. The mp3 connectivity option is in my opinion a little bit wasted, strikes me as one of those 'tick box' ideas that haven't really been thought through. It doesn't take anything away from the toy but is unlikely to get used so therefore perhaps without it the toy could be made and therefore sold cheaper.

Any additional thoughts on the "Happy Moments" - have you been able to redeem the voucher? If so, please share what you did.
- Although I can see why this might have been thought to be a good idea I do think its a bit pointless. Nice idea and i do hope we get round to using it but ultimately people are more likely to lose the voucher before they use it.

If you had a talking toy did you like the function of also having the talking in a foreign language – what did you think about this?
-n/a

^ If you had the Quattro Sit 'N' Ride – did you like the adaptability – i.e. that the toy can grow with the child?^
- n/a

If you had the Rainbow cube – do you think the toy helped with any bedtime routine for your child? – Did it help create an association of 'bed'?
- n/a

Would you recommend this toy to other parents? Why/ why not?
- I would probably not actively recommend it but I wouldn't discourage someone from buying it either. I think it is a perfectly good play gym but I do think there are others that are better (and others that are worse!).

Do you think this toy is value for money? If so why, if not, why not?
- I think it costs around £35 in which case that is comparable with other similar products on the market and certainly not wildly out in terms of value.

peglet Tue 11-Dec-12 20:33:38

School Bus - 2¼ year old son

He put the shapes in the holes and pushed the bus along the floor

He liked the music and the flashing lights

Nice little extra, though think it would be easy to lose/miss the voucher

I liked this and my son thought it was interesting, although even the english language was too complicated

No, my son found it frustrating with limited play value. The instructions were too complicated

No, it is not a toy that will be a lasting favourite

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 13-Dec-12 13:25:06

Hi - thanks for all the feedback and reviews.
Am pleased to say the winner of the £100 of Chicco products is BuffyFairy. Well done - am emailing you now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now