Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

NOW CLOSED: Ambrosia New Rice Pots feedback thread

(117 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 08-Oct-12 13:39:36

This thread is for the 100 MNers who are currently testing the new range of rice pots from Ambrosia with their family.

The MNers were sent a selection of new Ambrosia Rice Pots, including Ambrosia Light Rice, Rice + Jam and Sharing Pots, as well as delicious Chocolate, Apple and Devon Custard flavours.

So once you've had a try, please let us know your responses to the following questions:

Overall, did you enjoy the Ambrosia rice pot range?
Would you buy any of the pots again? If so, which ones?
Do you think you would recommend the range to your friends and family (if it came up in conversation)?
Did you enjoy the taste of the rice pots? Did your children enjoy the taste of the rice pots?
Did you or your family / children have a particular favourite flavour? Which was the most popular? Which was least popular?
Which size pot did you prefer?
When would you / your family be most likely to eat the rice pots?
Would you include a rice pot in your child’s lunchbox or on a picnic?
Would you say that the range is good value for money? (recommended prices are: 500g Sharing Pot, £1.39, 190g Rice Pots in Devon Custard, 65p, 120g Rice Pots in Apple and Chocolate, 45p, 115g Light Rice, 49p, 145g Rice + in Strawberry Jam and Raspberry Jam, 69p)
Have you bought or do you think you will buy any products from the range following the test?

Any other comments welcome - everyone who was a tester and who adds their feedback will be entered into a prize draw where one tester will get £100 of Amazon vouchers as a thank you

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ

ShatnersBassoon Tue 09-Oct-12 14:25:25

Somewhat.

Possibly. The children liked the one with jam on the side.

Do you think you would recommend the range to your friends and family (if it came up in conversation)?
No, they weren't that nice.

Did you enjoy the taste of the rice pots? Did your children enjoy the taste of the rice pots?
The jam one was enjoyed by the children, but it was too sweet for me and DH. The custard one again was too sweet. The chocolate one, which I reserved for myself being a big chocolate lover, was particularly disappointing; it tasted very bland and just sweet.

Did you or your family / children have a particular favourite flavour? Which was the most popular? Which was least popular?
Jam for the children was the biggest hit. Chocolate was unpleasant.

The smallest ones, because I think it would only be the children who would eat them in future.

Probably as a treat at home for the children.

No, I'll stick with yogurt as it's less sweet.

Would you say that the range is good value for money? (recommended prices are: 500g Sharing Pot, £1.39, 190g Rice Pots in Devon Custard, 65p, 120g Rice Pots in Apple and Chocolate, 45p, 115g Light Rice, 49p, 145g Rice + in Strawberry Jam and Raspberry Jam, 69p)
It seems to be fair value.

Have you bought or do you think you will buy any products from the range following the test?
Possibly, if I happen to notice the small pots on offer.

greenapples Tue 09-Oct-12 19:48:57

Overall, did you enjoy the Ambrosia rice pot range? YES DEFINITELY, (YOU'RE ALWAYS WELCOME TO SEND MORE grin)

Would you buy any of the pots again? If so, which ones? YES,CHOCOLATE, JAM OR SHARING POT

Do you think you would recommend the range to your friends and family (if it came up in conversation)? YES

Did you enjoy the taste of the rice pots? Did your children enjoy the taste of the rice pots? YES. THE KIDS PREFERED THE JAM - POSSIBLY BECAUSE IT TASTED SWEETER

Did you or your family / children have a particular favourite flavour? YES

Which was the most popular? RICE AND JAM

Which was least popular? APPLE RICE - NEEDED MORE APPLE

Which size pot did you prefer? SHARING POT

When would you / your family be most likely to eat the rice pots? AFTER LUNCH / TEA

Would you include a rice pot in your child’s lunchbox or on a picnic? YES

Would you say that the range is good value for money? (recommended prices are: 500g Sharing Pot, £1.39, 190g Rice Pots in Devon Custard, 65p, 120g Rice Pots in Apple and Chocolate, 45p, 115g Light Rice, 49p, 145g Rice + in Strawberry Jam and Raspberry Jam, 69p) YES

Have you bought or do you think you will buy any products from the range following the test? YES, I WILL BUY MORE

Other comments....
THE LIDS WERE SECURE BUT OPENED EASILY

THE APPLE POT NEEDED MORE APPLE

THE POTS WERE FIRM ENOUGH FOR CHILDREN TO HOLD AND CARRY

SMALL POTS WERE GOOD FOR CHILDRENS LUNCH BOXES

SHARING POTS FOR HOME MEALS ENABLES YOU TO SERVE THE REQUIRED AMOUNT FOR EACH PERSON

MaureenMLove Tue 09-Oct-12 19:56:44

yes

Definately. The custard rice was particularly good and the low fat one, didn't taste low fat at all, so would buy that one again.

I would.

DD loved them all and wants more.

I liked the custard rice, but didn't like the apple flavoured one. DD liked the chocolate and raspberry one, but would have preferred a different flavour jam. Not over keen on raspberry. DH liked the plain custard

Medium sized one

packed lunches for me and DD. Snack between dinner and bed for DH

Yes

Definately a good price for my food budget.

Most definately. I have already put some in my online food basket!

mamaman Tue 09-Oct-12 20:22:24

Pots just arrived so will try them in next few days

mamaman Tue 09-Oct-12 20:22:58

The pots have just arrived. There is a good selection of sizes. Look forward to trying them out.

Overall, did you enjoy the Ambrosia rice pot range? Yes

Would you buy any of the pots again? If so, which ones? The sharing pot (not that I shared it grin), and the low calorie one

Do you think you would recommend the range to your friends and family (if it came up in conversation)? Most of it

Did you enjoy the taste of the rice pots? Did your children enjoy the taste of the rice pots? We enjoyed them all apart from the chocolate pots. They were absolutely horrible, the chocolate tasted really cheap and nasty. DS wouldn't finish his and he never refuses food!

Did you or your family / children have a particular favourite flavour? Which was the most popular? Which was least popular? Most popular was the original.Least popular was the minging, minging chocolate

Which size pot did you prefer? The sharing pot

When would you / your family be most likely to eat the rice pots? They would be great in DS' lunchbox, or as a snack in the afternoon

Would you include a rice pot in your child’s lunchbox or on a picnic? Yes

Would you say that the range is good value for money? (recommended prices are: 500g Sharing Pot, £1.39, 190g Rice Pots in Devon Custard, 65p, 120g Rice Pots in Apple and Chocolate, 45p, 115g Light Rice, 49p, 145g Rice + in Strawberry Jam and Raspberry Jam, 69p) Yes

Have you bought or do you think you will buy any products from the range following the test? I would buy the low calorie again, and maybe the sharing pot but I still prefer to eat it straight out of the tin smile

trudat Wed 10-Oct-12 07:39:43

Only got ours yesterday so I'll be back in a couple of days to add feedback.

Love the box though!!

StainlessSteelCat Wed 10-Oct-12 11:51:46

yes

Jam one definitely - all DC enjoyed that. Possibly sharing pot for pudding sometimes.

Yes, as something my kids like.
I wasn't keen, neither was DP. I think we have too many memories of horrific school rice pudding.
Of the DC, eldest and youngest ate them. Middle child refuse to try any but the jam one.

Most popular was jam. Apple wasn't liked, nor was chocolate. Youngest DC (1 year old) ate any he was given and wanted more. Plain was liked, but got the comment it would be better with jam.

Depends what I want to use it for.

Pudding.

Sometimes

Sharing pot yes. others are OK if you see them as a treat.

never bought before. Will be doing so in the future - jam ones as a lunchbox/picnic treat, sharing pot for pudding.

Other comments:
Like that they can be stored in cupboard, rather than fridge. Youngest wolfs them down at any temperature, eldest much prefers them warmed, so will see if he likes them cool in lunch box.

PuzzleRocks Wed 10-Oct-12 14:07:22

Yes we did, thank you for the opportunity. DH and I love rice pudding as do DD1 (5) & DD2 (3).

The sharing pot, the others were a bit small.

Only the large sharing pot. Although I did think the light one was great because it tasted as good as a full fat version.

All went down very nicely with the exception of the chocolate. DD2 took one mouthful and pushed it away and DD1 would not even try it. It looked a horrid colour and had an odd odour.

DD1 made lots of appreciative noise over the custard one. Choc one was rubbish.

Large, the light one was teeny.

Any time of day.

Maybe if they were a bit more substantial.

Yes I think so although I would like to see larger sizes available.

The larger sharing pot.

deepbreath Wed 10-Oct-12 15:59:12

Overall, did you enjoy the Ambrosia rice pot range? Yes, apart from the chocolate one.
Would you buy any of the pots again? If so, which ones? All except chocolate.
Do you think you would recommend the range to your friends and family (if it came up in conversation)? Yes.
Did you enjoy the taste of the rice pots? Did your children enjoy the taste of the rice pots? We liked all except the chocolate one.
Did you or your family / children have a particular favourite flavour? Which was the most popular? Which was least popular? Most popular - custard or normal rice. Least popular - chocolate.
Which size pot did you prefer? The standard size for adults, smaller size for children
When would you / your family be most likely to eat the rice pots? As a snack/pudding
Would you include a rice pot in your child’s lunchbox or on a picnic? Yes.
Would you say that the range is good value for money? (recommended prices are: 500g Sharing Pot, £1.39, 190g Rice Pots in Devon Custard, 65p, 120g Rice Pots in Apple and Chocolate, 45p, 115g Light Rice, 49p, 145g Rice + in Strawberry Jam and Raspberry Jam, 69p) Yes.
Have you bought or do you think you will buy any products from the range following the test? Yes, I will buy a mixture of the different pots that we liked as they are very handy to keep in the cupboard.

Thank you very much for choosing us, the dc's were very excited (and I had to wrestle the box from dd!)

IPHII Wed 10-Oct-12 19:44:23

First off, thanks for choosing my family to participate in this.
Secondly, I have never really been a fan of rice puddig but my kids seem to like it so decided to give it a try. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by some of the flavours. Have to say the jam and apple ones were a big hit. We were practically fighting over the apple and the rice+jam ones.
I would definitely go for the rice+jam and apple pots again. That said, it tends to get a bit sickly if you eat too much of it. would use in lunch boxes and already recommended to two friends.
Least popular was the light pot,didn't do it for me at all. Dd3 &4 prefered the chocolate one.
Price seems okay, not bad.
Would definitely buy again and it will have to be the smaller pots rather than the big one.
On another note, love the box it came in.

GoatsHaveStrangeEyes Wed 10-Oct-12 20:59:18

Yes we all did. My dh was especially happy as he loves rice pudding. Ds was the least keen but think that was due to the fact he had never tried it before (he is 2)

If i were to buy any it would be the smaller sized pots as i think they were right for a snack or a lunchbox and just enough for one person. The custard one was the favourite in our house so if we had to buy one it would be that one.

If it came up in conversation yes but probably not otherwise.

Yes we liked most of them. The chocolate one wasn't very nice according to dd (who is ususally chocolate mad) and the light one just tasted wrong.

Most popular- custard or normal.
Least popular- light and chocolate. The jam one wasn't a favourite either here.

The small sized pots (like the chocolate one), as for the reason stated above (oops!)

I would probably put them in a lunchbox or have them as pudding.

Yes but only once in a while.

Yes.

I will probably buy some of the smaller pots in the normal and custard flavour but i would be tempted to buy others if they were on special offer at some point.

Thankyou for letting us take part, my dd was very happy to see yummy things coming in the post!

Would you buy any of the pots again?
Probably not. Maybe if they were on special offer.

TaperJeanGirl Wed 10-Oct-12 23:35:27

Still working our way through them, will be back very soon with proper feedback, so far chocolate and custard are firm faves! grin

CharlieSt Thu 11-Oct-12 10:16:34

Yes

Definitely the Devon Custard & Plain Rice pots!

Did you enjoy the taste of the rice pots?
Yes I loved the Custard, Plain & Light pots. My husband loved the Custard pot

Did your children enjoy the taste of the rice pots?
My five year old son loved the Devon Custard & the Plain & Light Rice pots. I still didn't manage to convert my three year old daughter to rice pudding unfortunately, even with these great pots.

A definite favourite was the Devon Custard with my son, husband & I. The least popular was a tie between the Rice + Raspberry Jam was "too jammy" for my son & the chocolate Rice pot we agreed "just tasted of cocoa powder" (so neither were as good as the others).

The 190g pots.

In a lunchbox & at home after lunch or tea.

Yes I would include the plain 190g Devon Custard pots & the 115g Light Rice pots in a lunchbox & a picnic.

Would you say that the range is good value for money?(recommended prices are: 500g Sharing Pot, £1.39, 190g Rice Pots in Devon Custard, 65p, 120g Rice Pots in Apple and Chocolate, 45p, 115g Light Rice, 49p, 145g Rice + in Strawberry Jam and Raspberry Jam, 69p)
Devon Custard was great value for money as it was so enjoyable. Sharing pot good value too & the Light Rice. The others are a reasonable price. I would be more inclined to buy Devon Custard & Light Rice on a 3 for 2 offer.

We haven't yet as we've only just finished eating our samples; but I will certainly buy the Devon Custard & probably the Sharing pot & Light Rice pots.

Thanks for letting us test them, overall thoroughly enjoyable!

dottyaboutstripes Thu 11-Oct-12 13:03:45

Yes,

Yes - probably most of them

Yes if it came up in conversation.

Did you enjoy the taste of the rice pots?

On the whole, yes, but the jam one (small jam one, not split pot) tasted a bit strange, can't out my finger on it, but didn't seem creamy like the others

Did your children enjoy the taste of the rice pots?

I had thought all my children like rice puddings, but only one of the 5 still at home would even try them. She did absolutely love them though!

DD particularly like the choc one. I preferred the custard flavour and the plain.

120g/lighter 115g

Lunchtime or as a snack.

Yes for my one child who enjoyed them!

Would you say that the range is good value for money?

Not bad at all. I generally would buy a multipack though

I'd say yes.

Thanks for the opportunity to try all the different varieties!

Overall, did you enjoy the Ambrosia rice pot range? Yes, my daughter and I enjoyed trying them. We have bought them before on occasion, but never the new flavours.

Would you buy any of the pots again? If so, which ones? Yes, the apple, custard and jam flavours were our favourites. We didn't get to try the chocolate version as it wasn't included in our box but I am sure it would have been a hit!

Do you think you would recommend the range to your friends and family (if it came up in conversation)? I suppose if it came up.

Did you enjoy the taste of the rice pots? Did your children enjoy the taste of the rice pots? Yes, we both enjoyed them. My daughter, 7 years, looked forward to trying them all.

Did you or your family / children have a particular favourite flavour? Which was the most popular? Which was least popular? My daughter liked the jam and apple versions and I liked the devon custard.

Which size pot did you prefer? I should have noted the sizes as we were eating them! But I think it was the 120g and 145g sizes that were the best for my daughter. The 500g pot was lovely but portion control is difficult!

When would you / your family be most likely to eat the rice pots? My daughter liked them as a snack after school or for pudding and I had one as a snack after everyone was in bed!

Would you include a rice pot in your child’s lunchbox or on a picnic? My daughter doesn't take a packed lunch and we probably wouldn't take them on a picnic as I usually tend to bring food that doesn't need cutlery.

Would you say that the range is good value for money? (recommended prices are: 500g Sharing Pot, £1.39, 190g Rice Pots in Devon Custard, 65p, 120g Rice Pots in Apple and Chocolate, 45p, 115g Light Rice, 49p, 145g Rice + in Strawberry Jam and Raspberry Jam, 69p) They seem to be in line with other brands, but I usually only buy them when they are on offer.

Have you bought or do you think you will buy any products from the range following the test? Yes, probably!

Thanks again!

TaperJeanGirl Thu 11-Oct-12 14:21:29

Right, have eaten the lot grin

Yes, they were all really tasty!

I will def be buying the chocolate, apple, and custard ones again.

Yes I would, especially to friends of mine with children.

I loved the original, custard, and apple flavours, kids loved the chocolate especially, and original, apple and custard, we all liked the jam one but would have preferred the jam to have been seedless, nobody, apart from ds, who is 3 and eats anything, like the low cal rice.

My favourite was def the custard flavour, the kids all loved the chocolate flavour, closely followed by the apple.

I think the 190g size was the best for adults and the 120g for the kids.

I think after dinner or as an after school snack.

Yes, def, they are perfect for lunchboxes.

I would think those prices are about right, and pretty much what I would expect to pay.

I have not bought any yet, but will def be buying more for the kids, especially chocolate flavour, and custard for me!

Just wanted to add that I think the jam one with the fold over jam compartment would be better if it didnt snap off, just fold over but stayed attached iyswim, less messy. Oh, and I LOVED the box they were delivered in, I am sure it will come in handy for something smile

BestLaidPlans Thu 11-Oct-12 14:29:40

Yes, more so than I was expecting.

The custard and the jam ones.

Yes.

Very much so.

Most popular was the custard (me) and jam (DD - I'd probably have liked it too but I didn't get a look in)

The 190g

In packed lunches as an alternative to yoghurt.

Yes.

Yes. It seems in line with similar products.

yes, I'd like to try the jam one myself and the apple, which we didn't get.

Wigeon Thu 11-Oct-12 20:34:48

Thanks for the opportunity to test!

Yes - delicious!

Yes, the 500g pot definitely and possibly the 190g pots.

Yes, I would.

Yes, DH and I both enjoyed them. DDs both loved them all (they are aged 4yrs and 16 months).

The DDs weren't fussy - they liked them all! DH and I thought the apple, chocolate and custard ones weren't very strongly flavoured - I'm not sure in a blind test I'd've realised the custard one had custard in it. And the apple was pretty delicate (not a positive thing). I quite liked the chocolate one, but again thought it could be more chocolatey. I don't see the point of the one with jam, because we would eat them at home and we like to add a dollop of our own poncy homemade jam.

But I still liked eating them all!

We buy "normal" Ambrosia from time to time, and so we already know and enjoy that.

I liked the 190g size for an individual (or for the children to share), and the 500g pot was a really good size for my family. I really liked that they were in plastic microwaveable pots, and that you can eat them straight out of the pot (like a yoghurt). We usually buy the tins, which are more faff.

For pudding together as a family after a meal. Probably in the evening.

Probably not, as DD is only 4 and would be liable to spill it all down her school uniform at school. Plus I prefer them hot and so probably wouldn't have them in a picnic.

Yes, I think these are very good prices. £1.39 for pudding for the whole family is very good!

I will definitely buy the 500g pot. I might buy the 190g pots.

tootssweet Thu 11-Oct-12 21:49:57

Yes 3 out of the 4 of us really enjoyed them, there was a good variety of different flavours
Yes I would buy the pots again - probably the sharing pot if my mum was visiting and certainly liked the little pots for DS's lunch at the childminders etc.
Already have to my mum (who is a big fan of your rice puddings - this taste test has conjoured up lots of lovely childhood memories and treats!)
I enjoyed some pots more than others. I felt the apple was a little subtle and could do with more apple chunks in it, however my 18mo loved them and was quite shouty when I wouldn't let him have the big pot to himself! My DD doesn't like rice (texture thing) so pulled some fantastic faces when we tried to get her to have a taste - thank you for the laughs we had at that!
I liked just the plain rice but think the custard one was enjoyed most by the others. Chocolate was too minimal and took a while to get to at the bottom of the pot.
I would prefer the smaller pots (I do buy a lot of the smaller muller rice pots as my little one loves them but I prefer the ambrosia rice taste)
As afternoon snacks or a pudding at lunch / tea time
I wouldn't in the school age one (not only because of her dislike) but also because if she hadn't ate some school make them leave what is left in their lunch in their lunch box so that you can see what they ate and the mess would be grim! I would include them in my toddler's lunch bag for his CM days.
I think the sharing pot is extremely good value for money and the 120g pots are comparable with others. I don't know if I would buy the jam pots but that is more to do with a taste preference as I'm not that bothered to have it in my rice pudding.
I haven't seen them in my local shops (where would they be - chill cabinet or shelves?) but I did nearly cause a riot after kicking off at 6 months pregnant because the lady on the till at Tesco wasn't going to sell me a pot of rice which I had been craving because of some coding issue in the shop - luckily my friend was able to calm the situation! (& persuaded them to let me have the rice pot) grin

Thank you for letting us try them out we've had a tasty week (well most of the sweet family have!)

Tortoise Fri 12-Oct-12 12:07:37

Must remember to do this later! Of I see it on threads I'm on I won't keep forgetting! grin

TimeForMeAndDD Fri 12-Oct-12 14:39:43

Yes, we did. Thank you.

I would buy the 500g sharing pot and the smaller 115g pot.

Yes, if it came up in conversation I would recommend the products.

We did enjoy the rice pots but both DD and I preferred the regular rice pudding over the flavoured ones.

Our favourite was the sharing pot, the regular rice pudding and the Light rice. My least favourite was the one with Jam, it was too sweet for me. DD's least favourite was the apple, for the same reasons.

I like the 500g Sharing pot but I also like the 115g size pot as it's a good size for a lunch box.

Anytime!!

Yes, I would.

Yes, especially the sharing pot.

Yes, I will most likely be buying Ambrosia rice pudding in my next shop.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to test, it was a pleasure! smile

apple76 Fri 12-Oct-12 14:59:47

Enjoying ours so far, will answer detailed q's when finished.

beanandspud Fri 12-Oct-12 16:46:42

Not especially, and they weren't very popular with DS who generally eats anything.

Might buy the custard one and the plain rice but the flavoured ones were very sweet and synthetic.

Possibly - apart from the chocolate one!

The custard rice was tasty but the chocolate one was particularly nasty. Not sure whether DS was put off by the taste or the texture - he was really looking forward to the chocolate one but wouldn't have more than a spoonful. Jam and apple pots were better received.

Custard was the favourite. Chocolate the least. DH liked the jam one.

The smallest ones - the big one sat in the fridge half-eaten and was wasted although this happens frequently with a small family.

As a snack or after dinner.

We don't have packed lunches and probably wouldn't see them as picnic food. We did prefer them warm rather than cold so not sure about lunchboxes.

I think they are pretty good value as an occasional treat.

No, but I might try them again. We did enjoy testing them so thank you!

mamapower Fri 12-Oct-12 18:38:54

I feel a bit indifferent. I neither enjoyed or disliked.

No

Do you think you would recommend the range to your friends and family (if it came up in conversation)? In all honesty probably not.

Did you enjoy the taste of the rice pots? Did your children enjoy the taste of the rice pots? I did not. I found them overly sweet and they just tasted very synthetic. My DD tucked into them but then she does have a sweet tooth and at 1 year old a fairly uneducated palate.

Did you or your family / children have a particular favourite flavour? Which was the most popular? Which was least popular? The Apple and Chocolate were jointly the least favourite as they tasted too artificial. The custard was the most enjoyable.

Which size pot did you prefer? 120g was easy as it's one serving and no waste. However I did share the large 500g pot with DH and DD and it was very convenient to just have one pot and of course less plastic packaging wastage.

When would you / your family be most likely to eat the rice pots? As dessert following dinner

Would you include a rice pot in your child’s lunchbox or on a picnic? No

Would you say that the range is good value for money? (recommended prices are: 500g Sharing Pot, £1.39, 190g Rice Pots in Devon Custard, 65p, 120g Rice Pots in Apple and Chocolate, 45p, 115g Light Rice, 49p, 145g Rice + in Strawberry Jam and Raspberry Jam, 69p) Very good value

Have you bought or do you think you will buy any products from the range following the test? No, sorry but these aren't for me or my DD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now