MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Talk to Michael Mosley about Intermittent Fasting, Wednesday 23 January, 12pm - 1pm.

(167 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-Jan-13 13:10:22

On Wednesday at 12pm midday Michael Mosley will be joining us for a webchat and to answer questions on Intermittent Fasting (also known as 5:2 diet).

Michael is a medical Journalist whose BBC Horizon Programme in August last year first introduced the UK to Intermittent Fasting. His latest book The Fast Diet presents the science behind the diet, whilst his co-author, Mimi Spencer explains the practicalities and how to go about it. The idea behind Fast Dieting is that you eat normally for five days and then then consume just 500 calories (women) and 600 calories (men) on two fasting days each week.

If you're interested in finding out more, join Michael Mosley on Wednesday 23 January at 12 midday or post a question to Michael in advance here.

Mumsnet Academy is now offering you the chance to join 5:2 The Fast Diet Course with Michael Mosley, a one day course in Central London on Friday 15 February. Book your tickets

KittyMem Wed 23-Jan-13 13:02:03

Egg yolk = more calories, higher cholestrol.

Egg yolk generally contains around 3x the calories of the egg white. So when I'm eating 500 calories a day, I like to stick to what I can get most out of!

TalkinPeace2 Wed 23-Jan-13 13:05:48

PS as somebody who now has a BMI at the lower end of the healthy range, I'm dithering whether to drop to 6:1 from 5:2, or relax even more at the weekend!
Am so used to not eating on a Monday now I'll not give that up ...

MichaelMosley Wed 23-Jan-13 13:06:29

Issy

Hello Dr Mosley

Could you summarise the benefits of the 5:2 diet other than for weight loss?

Losing weight if you are overweight is itself a good thing (the recent report that being overweight is good for you is flawed for reasons i go into on thefastdiet.co.uk)
Benefits include improved insulin sensitivity, reduced inflammatory markers (leading to reduced risk of cancer and possibly improvements in asthma); possibly reduced risk of dementia. They know that rats put on a 5:2 diet (they didn't volunteer) were less likely to develop dementia and their brains produced higher levels of a substance called BDNF (brain derived neurotrophic factor) which leads to production of new brain cells and may explain why people on 5:2 frequently report feeling sharper. Human trials about to start

MichaelMosley Wed 23-Jan-13 13:07:06

That's all from me. I have a series starting on Thursday night on BBC2 at 9pm called Genius of Inventions which is really good fun and full of fascinating content. I am also doing a programme next Monday with Dr Alice Roberts about Flu and I am on the Sarah Milican show on Tuesday at 9pm. So if you want to avoid me, flee the country. I also chat and answer questions on twitter @drmichaelmosley

Thank you!

smile
Will request the book at the library.

anniewhit Wed 23-Jan-13 17:53:50

Hi- I have looked for this info myself and am not clear. On the 5;2 fasting diet- does it matter when or how I have my 500 calories. ? I have been having them spread throughout the day- with out a 12 hour period in between meals. Is that ok? I have been eating loads of veg and making soups. My appreciation to anyone who can answer as my next day is due tomorrow!

ubik Wed 23-Jan-13 19:17:30

Thank you so much. I have lost a stone. flowers

FrannyMB Sun 27-Jan-13 22:15:22

Hi Michael, loved your programme last year particularly from a health perspective (although losing a couple of pounds would be nice too).
I started last week but my question is this: I am a runner and I am training for a half marathon in May. I'm not too worried at the moment when my distances are low (2-3 miles) but not sure how fasting will work around longer runs (1 - 2 hrs). The advice is to eat sufficient protein and carbs after longer runs to repair muscle damage and refuel etc. Would you recommend moving to 6:1 as my mileages increase and until after the race when it will drop down again - or is there a better way?

Gordonsmummy Tue 05-Feb-13 18:09:33

Dear Dr Mosely,
I find it much easier to eat absolutely nothing on a fast day, although I do drink plenty of black coffee and water. I presume this is OK? I haven't had any ill effects so far.
Many thanks

Jack100 Fri 08-Feb-13 11:59:32

Help please, thinking of giving it up. Been on 5:2 for 2 weeks now but lost Nothing. Will give it another week but v fed up now! Any advice??

Aftereightsarenolongermine Fri 08-Feb-13 14:40:02

jack please come & join us on the main thread (no 12). Sorry I can't do links on my phone but you will get lots of support there. Also it takes a while for the weight loss to kick in. I've lost over 3 stone on this since August so it's definitely do able.

joanann Wed 13-Feb-13 12:05:38

I started dieting on 7th Jan 13 on Dukan I lost 6lbs then started weigh twatchers. I have done the fast diet for 3wseeks and others days watch my calories keeping to about 1200 but ia have not lost a pound and in fact put a pound on last week. Can you help? I am 5'3 and way 148lbs.
Joanann

angie51 Fri 22-Mar-13 13:20:49

Anyone else like me doing the IF and not losing weight? I have lost 3lbs in 6/7 weeks of doing this. I know there are health benefits as well and I have no intention of stopping but would like a bit of a weight loss. Any one any ideas?

uneamie Thu 28-Mar-13 15:24:17

I am not sure if I am allow to post links. I looked around and it seems like it's OK. Anyway. I just created a 5:2 Diet Web site, blog and message board. I invite anyone interested in this diet to stop by and help me get this community rolling. I love this diet....only one that has worked for me. Thanks all!

[http://www.fivetwofastdiet.com]

uneamie Thu 28-Mar-13 15:26:08

I am not sure if I am allow to post links. I looked around and it seems like it's OK. Anyway. I just created a 5:2 Diet Web site, blog and message board. I invite anyone interested in this diet to stop by and help me get this community rolling. I love this diet....only one that has worked for me. Thanks all!

www.fivetwofastdiet.com

phingers Fri 05-Apr-13 14:38:23

Hi all, there's also a great forum called Fasting Forward. It's been running since Feb this year and is becomming an active and useful community for those already succeeding with 5:2 or thinking about embarking on the 5:2 way of life (and other fasting methods). We'd love to hear your fasting stories which might help to inspire or motivate others, or come and find information or help if you're struggling, or post your recipies for others to try out.
We also have a facebook page

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now