Tim Dowling, for example, is a twat

(485 Posts)
Robespierre Sun 17-May-09 16:28:36

..who writes moderately entertaining columns about his personal life in The Guardian. Yesterday's was about the perils of self-googling, and in particular of an episode of self-googling which returned the text 'Tim Dowling for example is a twat'

Where did he find that humbling line?? On mumsnet of course!

In the article he claims to have given up self-googling, but we know that isn't true, don't we.

Shall we give him a few more personal insights? I think he is less of a twat than Jon Ronson and he doesn't have a whiney voice.

Blumerz Sat 29-Jun-13 22:31:02

Has anyone ever looked up the word "twat"? After hearing "twat" repeatedly on a brief outing into the town centre today I came home and looked it up. I was horrified to think females are sharing this part of their anatomy in association with rather despicable types, both male and female. Wonder how it gets used in the playground, simply because it sounds less ugly and harmful than other derogatory terms...

MisterUdagawa Sat 06-Apr-13 11:37:01

now look

monkeytrousers Mon 25-May-09 07:02:43

doh - shed - I know you toss all over threads all the time. grin

monkeytrousers Mon 25-May-09 07:02:03

MP, you tossed glitter on your thread? What does one eat before-um-hand to achieve this...?

muffinmonster Sun 24-May-09 22:56:00

"The episode concerns a couple who some years ago bought two boxers, Daisy and Duke."

Surely that's a coded reference to his jersey underwear? A PAIR of boxers, geddit?

Hassled Sat 23-May-09 20:29:35

Blick, it was a great column. I love his wife - I do that premature washing up thing as well.

I was so hoping for an MN mention though

DamonBradleylovesPippi Sat 23-May-09 20:27:54

yup. sometimes I think Tim Dowling must have a cmaera in our house.

DamonBradleylovesPippi Sat 23-May-09 20:27:53

yup. sometimes I think Tim Dowling must have a cmaera in our house.

Blick Sat 23-May-09 06:27:17

Tim Dowling, for example, has a spat. Good column this week.

Tinker Wed 20-May-09 17:30:50

Rachel Cook, for example, is a twat. She was the child-hater going on about how little time there is to read all teh books she wanted.

Apologies if she's already been twatted. Similarly, the next one but not reason not to twat her again:

Polly Vernon, for example, is a twat.

MissM Wed 20-May-09 11:43:59

Yep, that's her.

ronshar Wed 20-May-09 10:02:40

Is Zoe Williams the Guardian writer who was bitching about children being pulled from private school and joining the local state school? She even listed the order in which they should be made to go to the bottom of the lists. Lovely lady. Especially when she went to some of the most exclusive private schools in the country.
Isnt that called pulling the ladder up behind you???
If that was her then I def think she is a Twat.
If it wasnt then I apologise.

Like the Freudian post HostChris2 grin

MissM Tue 19-May-09 22:28:11

I agree with Cyteen. Especially that 'oopsy, guess what, I'm pregnant again! I thought the gym wasn't making a difference. Silly me' column.

smee Tue 19-May-09 21:43:44

'some sort of dead cattle' - that means you've debated options. Do I detect black eye liner? Just a smattering amidst the glitter...?

morningpaper Tue 19-May-09 20:22:49

No if I was a goth I would keep some sort of dead cattle in there

I have painted the shed floor a second time and left a light dusting of glitter

no so you'd notice, just a teeny glimmer

smee Tue 19-May-09 20:14:37

Is MP a goth then? Cerise in a coal cellar hmm

smee Tue 19-May-09 20:13:44

Zoe Williams hasn't yet sunk to twatdom, but she's not as good since having a child. Maybe the madness of a second will lurch her back to form grin

Latootle Tue 19-May-09 16:43:29

surely it is easier to say who isn't one these days?

Maiakins Tue 19-May-09 15:51:39

I don't think Tim Dowling is that much of a twat ... certainly not the twat I'd name if I needed an example. And definitely not any much more of a twat than my DH! A harmless, lovable twat, if anything. I like his columns and I think his wife comes across well. I'm sure I would like her if I met her!

cyteen Tue 19-May-09 15:37:44

Sorry, not read all thread but must simply add

Zoe Williams, for example, is a twat.

You're also a hack of the highest (lowest?) order, if you're reading

morningpaper Tue 19-May-09 15:29:41

At one stage it had a disco ball in it too

It is known as the 'gay cellar'

Hassled Tue 19-May-09 15:19:52

MP - you painted your coal cellar CERISE??? That's so last year.

Hassled Tue 19-May-09 15:18:48

Dammit, I missed the Dowlings. If they were indeed the Dowlings.

And I won't have a word said about Lucy Mangan. There's nothing wrong with a long sentence as long as the grammar is impeccable. Her agony column in the Guardian is the best thing in the paper.

DaDaDa Tue 19-May-09 15:15:22

I like Tim Dowling's column. It makes me chuckle; not many things do that.

His wife seems almost as much of a harridan as mine. wink I can never persuade DW to read it though (I think she thinks he's a twat).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now