Well. That went well, didnt it.......

(415 Posts)

So I am looking after my friends 3 year old for the weekend.
I'd just like to point out, before I post the wonderful things that have happened since yesterday, that I do actually have children.
3 in fact.

I point that out because after reading this, you might be forgiven for thinking I have no clue about children what so ever grin

So...she arrives at 5pm. Lovely, lovely girl. Lovely mum who for some reason thinks I am trustworthy, drops her off without a fuss.

Oh dear god.

All is well for a while. We eat dinner, she eats it all up. And dessert. I am cleaning the kitchen, I turn around and she is eating the dogs food out of his bowl.
And then told me the doggies dinner is very tasty grin

We are watching tv later on and I ask my ds1 to keep an eye on her while I make a cup of tea.
I come back, she is in the dogs bed.

She wants to play hide and seek. So she hides.
Can I find her? No.
Can the DCs find her? No.

Im about to call the fucking police because clearly she has disappeared when she pops out from a bush in the garden covered head to foot in mud.

We give her a bath, got her pjs on. I go to make her a hot chocolate. I turn round and find her sitting in a cupboard. Of course, I notice she is in there the very second I shut the cupboard door. On her head.

I put her to bed on the little bed in my room.

I go to bed as well because I know if I am not sitting there looking at her, something will happen.

I wake up, an hour ago. She is asleep in the dogs bed.

She just said to me "I had so much fun auntie tantrums. I are doggies dinner, you lost me, I got very dirty and sleeped in the doggy bed. And you shut me in the cupboard"
She found it all hysterically funny.

She's going to go home and tell her mum all of that isn't she??
Is there any way at all I can put a positive spin on this??

I very doubt my friend is ever going to talk to me again, let alone trust me with her child.

MoominsYonisAreScary Wed 18-Sep-13 12:49:27

Would a 2.5 year old do? Hes house trained (ish) eats anything but unfortunitly has been up since 3 this morning.

absentmindeddooooodles Wed 18-Sep-13 15:40:44

2.6 yo ds over here too if you want him. He currently believes with ebery fibre of his being that he is a dog-train?! This means he can plough through any obstacles whilst licking everything in sight and of course.....fly off any high object he manages to climb.

Hes partly house trained but has a tendancy to pee in the shower and then try and clean it up with showergel/toothpaste/shaving foam. He is however great fun....and you may even get 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep. <bliss>

You sound great. And obviously the lovely little whorlwind had a great time smile

Nooooooooooooooo! You dont want rid of them! grin

Opens arms and doors.....wink

Devora Fri 20-Sep-13 23:24:24

Brilliant thread! Best enjoyed with your feet up, glass of wine in hand, as your 3yo sleeps peacefully upstairs. (What's better than a 3yo? A sleeping 3yo.)

ZillionChocolate Sat 21-Sep-13 11:31:37

Auntie Tantrums is the best friend ever. Fact.

GlenysE Sat 21-Sep-13 16:10:50

I shouyld print this out, give it to her mum and ask her to save it as a topic for coversation when the first serious boyfriend comes round when she is older!

:-)

Sparklymommy Mon 23-Sep-13 16:26:51

Best. Thread. Ever!

I want an auntie tantrums.

And another three year old sad

Enjoy your peace now the cutie has gone home xx

I was directed here from another thread. Tantrums you're a great auntie.

If it is any consolation then I can let you know that my friend (who is a nurse)has also had to stop her then three-year-old from eating all the dog food directly from the dog bowl - he'd already eaten half when she found him. AND another friend from my school days was once accompanied by her little sister inexplicably wrapped up on a warm summer morning when dropped off at school. Turned out that little sister had decided to paint her face, hands and hair blue five minutes before they were due to leave for school. This was in the old days when people walked everywhere.
The next week she turned up similarly bundled. This time because of multi-coloured wiggly felt pen lines. Oh she was a spirited one...

My DD is headed the same way. She's nearly 2.8 and will randomly cuddle children in the street, flirt with twenty-something men ("I like you, man"), and recently asked a friend why he had brown teeth ("Are they going to go mouldy and fall out?").

cantthinkofagoodone Thu 26-Sep-13 13:42:08

Very funny - should not read at work though as trying not to smile was tricky!

GiraffesAndButterflies Wed 16-Oct-13 03:27:43

Brilliantly written thread, AuntieTantrums smile

2blessed Wed 16-Oct-13 04:57:04

Great thread OP, I'm lying in bed with tears streaming down my face. She sounds a delight and you sound fab! smile

thistlelicker Wed 16-Oct-13 05:07:06

I remember this first time around. ...., utter class!

weirdbird Thu 17-Oct-13 11:20:07

Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed your adventure

enriquetheringbearinglizard Thu 17-Oct-13 18:05:44

Oh this has been just brilliant. When is she coming again please? smile

What a fabulous friend and family you are Auntie Tantrums

Hope your friend felt the benefit and would love to hear an update of anything that's happened since the famed weekend.

AlwaysLookOnBrightsideOfLife Wed 07-May-14 15:05:55

grin
Reading through this thread again has made me laugh so much. Totally sums up a 3yo IMO! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now