Life skills for teenagers - what have I forgotten?

(110 Posts)
MardyBra Fri 19-Jul-13 13:12:45

I have a teenager and a nearly teenager. I'm sure I've forgotten some things I need to teach them before they fly the nest.

For starters:

How to change a fuse and a lightbulb.

Basic cooking skills. Lots of subcategories here - how to make a decent roast, bechamel sauce, whip up a few easy meals, chop an onion properly.

Basic Sewing I'm sadly lacking in this area. Despite my mother's efforts, I can barely sew on a button. Will delegate to granny.

How to tip

How to shuffle and deal cards Admittedly not a biggie.

Most importantly - how not to be an arse

There's lots more, I know.

SuperiorCat Thu 26-Sep-13 05:47:33

Joedan I think you may be best starting a new thread of your own in perhaps the teenagers section where you will get some really good advice.

Have reported to ask if this can be moved so it doesn't vanish

mathanxiety Thu 26-Sep-13 07:23:19

To know the difference between 'want' and 'need'.

To keep track of your bank balance frequently.

Driving/ changing tyre/ checking oil and basic car maintenance.

Laundry and the need to do it weekly at least.
House cleaning ditto.

Often better to be kind than to be right.

JulieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 27-Sep-13 13:44:53

Afternoon.

We can see that this is a very useful thread so, with Mardy's permission, we've moved this into a permanent section so that it can be found and used in the years to come.

Wishing you all the best in your aim to train your teens.

thanks

Trills Fri 27-Sep-13 13:48:58

How to delete your internet history (they probably already know that)

Trills Fri 27-Sep-13 13:49:17

How to work the privacy settings on any part of the internet where you put up any personal information.

MardyBra Fri 27-Sep-13 14:01:15

Aw Julie. When you emailed me to ask if I minded if it was moved, I'd assumed it would be going to Teenagers or Parenting or summat. Thanks. flowers

Trills Fri 27-Sep-13 14:20:55

That there are more than 4 weeks in a month - so if rent is listed weekly but charged monthly you won't be surprised when it's more than 4x.

Janek Fri 27-Sep-13 14:37:02

aloiseb do you definitely have to pay for prescriptions if you're a student? You didn't in my day [older than she'd like].

SuperiorCat Fri 27-Sep-13 17:38:45

Thanks Julie

divegirl77 Sun 29-Sep-13 21:58:31

When you go the GP speak for yourself. Even more so if you are over the age of 20 - or even 30.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now