I really struggle to get my head round weasels

(286 Posts)
HoneyDragon Thu 06-Jun-13 18:46:52

I've seen them. I know what they look like, and often catch them whizzing across the road at weasel warp speed.

But their size always surprises me. Every time. I know they are small. But when you look at a picture of a weasel or think weasel, you think bigger. You don't think "oh, a weasel. That's a little bigger than a hamster that is". Or I don't. I go, ooooh a weasel. Wow, it's tiny, every time, the surprise never abates.

I struggle with weasel physics. That the actual weasel is not the size of the concept of weasel in my head.

I'm not sure how to fix it. confused

BoreOfWhabylon Tue 11-Jun-13 16:45:40

I want to be in the presence of weasels! if we believe in them, then they will come <mystic>

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Tue 11-Jun-13 15:39:58

I have been in the presence of weasels.
It was in the car par at the western end of Froggatt Edge, and I heard the unmistakable sound of aggressive mustelids. Three of them, chittering with rage and sinuously leaping about.
I was extremely conscious of my exposed toes peeping from my Tevas; their teeth were much in evidence. As the OP says, the size is all wrong.

CalamityKate Sun 09-Jun-13 21:34:56

Oh whoops wrong thread!

SoupDragon Sun 09-Jun-13 21:00:13

Wasn't there a MNer who thought Pine Martens went Marty Marty Marty?

Hassled Sun 09-Jun-13 20:56:08

I have returned with the INSANE NEWS that Foosa are real things.

I'm watching Madagascar and as I'm now starting to doubt the wisdom of basing my entire knowledge of the animal kingdom on books and cartoons (thanks only to this thread}, I thought I'd turn to Google to check for accuracy.

And here they are. Actually Fossa but I prefer Foosa.

HoneyDragon Sun 09-Jun-13 20:34:04

Trouser snakes tend to be indigenous to trousers rather than go up and own them.

<<consults big book of phallic wildlife>>

HoneyDragon Sun 09-Jun-13 20:32:44

Ferrets go down trousers.

Something to do with sailors.

orangeandemons Sun 09-Jun-13 20:02:36

Are weasels the ones that people put down their trousers? Or is that ferrets? Or even trouser snakes.....?

FringeEvent Sun 09-Jun-13 19:42:54

I mentioned this thread to DH earlier, and then showed him a weasel video on youtube (this one) - totally blew his mind.

He's just returned the favour by asking me how big I imagine a kiwi (the bird) to be.

"Well", I said, "I've always assumed they're about the same size as a kiwi fruit."

Nope. This is how big a kiwi is.

mignonette Sun 09-Jun-13 19:38:51

Why was the ferret at the wake?????? smile

I am conjuring up a mental image of a 'Wind In The Willlows' style event with ferrets dressed up as Mafia type undertakers.....

Trinpy Sun 09-Jun-13 17:57:55

Ferrets are evil. I have a scar across my nose from where a ferret attached itself to my face by its teeth at a friend's wake a few years ago <outs self>. I had to prise its jaws apart with my thumbs just to get it off. Evil bastard.

I am learning a lot about woodland animals from this thread.

HoneyDragon Sun 09-Jun-13 17:49:05

grin large furry pretzel

Calamity I loved those books!

Ferrets stink like pee. It's gross.

Are there racoons in England?

BanjoPlayingTiger Sun 09-Jun-13 17:16:45

What a brilliant thread.
I too am shocked that weasels are tiny. Id have sworn they were the same size as ferrets.

I have seen a badger though. It was a LOT larger than i thought.

JuliaScurr Sun 09-Jun-13 17:11:17

now an otter would be otterly different

Don't be mean, Maca. They need clothes to keep them warm, somewhere out of draughts to sleep and deserve to be kept safe at the side of busy roads.

MacaYoniandCheese Sun 09-Jun-13 16:54:44

We have These. They are the stuff of urban legend...apparently they attack and kill pets and small children sometimes.

I could never get my head around why anyone would want to keep a ferret as a pet...we have neighbours that walk them on a leash and dress them up and have little hammocks for them. For weasels. Get a cat FFS or a hamster.

mignonette Sun 09-Jun-13 16:53:41

Sorry ladybeagle

mignonette Sun 09-Jun-13 16:53:09

adybeagle*

The wombat was called Fatso.

mignonette Sun 09-Jun-13 16:52:22

I saw two Weasels copulating at the side of the road. They looked like a large moving furry pretzel.

Just as well they are small. They are so ferocious that any larger and they'd be making off with our children.

Um, are you on the right thread Calamity? Or have weasels been behaving badly towards supermarket checkout operators?

FWIW, when discussing abusive human men, rather than weasels, wombats or stoats, I do agree with you.

CalamityKate Sun 09-Jun-13 15:27:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CalamityKate Sun 09-Jun-13 14:50:54

The stoat can be easily told from the weasel, by the simple fact that his tail is blacked, and his figure is slightly the bigger

I read that in one of the "Children of Cherry Tree Farm" books by Enid Blyton when I was little! Tammylan the wild man was teaching the children about wildlife grin

HoneyDragon Sun 09-Jun-13 14:36:57

Perhaps they class Ozzy as a lodger?

Or law enforcement owners don't believe he's too small to be a weasel, because everyone knows weasels are the size of cats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now