Fave one liner from a book?

(361 Posts)

"It's lipless mouth quivered and slathered"
War of the Worlds - H G Wells
grin

PrideOfChanur Thu 02-May-13 21:58:30

"Worse things happen at sea" "but we're not at sea..."

From??? I suspect it is an Antonia Forest quote but I don't remember where from.Any AF fans recognise it?

TartinaTiara Thu 02-May-13 22:36:31

tumbletumble, you're right, I've just checked my copy and the last line is as you think. Now I'm totally confused as to where I got my line from, I'm nowhere near clever enough to have invented it.

Am going to have to re-read it again, it must be somewhere in there.

MrsKoala Thu 02-May-13 22:51:04

'This is not an exit'

American Psycho

ChubbyKitty Thu 02-May-13 22:59:07

“At the temple there is a poem called "Loss" carved into the stone. It has three words, but the poet has scratched them out. You cannot read loss, only feel it.”

Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha

OiVaVoi Thu 02-May-13 23:12:27

Feather footed thought the plushy fen passes the questing vole

Opening line iof Scoop, Evelyn Waugh

thatsalovelyhat Fri 03-May-13 00:36:47

Currently, 'The front end of a cow had never been so popular.' The Making of Tesco by Sarah Ryle.

darksideofthemooncup Fri 03-May-13 01:05:03

"I see . . ." said the vampire thoughtfully, and slowly he walked across the room towards the window. - Anne Rice, Interview with the Vampire

SorrelForbes Fri 03-May-13 01:05:18

The Fossil sisters lived in the Cromwell Road. At that end of it which is farthest away from the Brompton Road, and yet sufficiently near it so one could be taken to look at the dolls’ houses in the Victoria and Albert every wet day.

Ballet Shoes, Noel Streatfeild.

My mum and I recite this anytime we're on these roads!

darksideofthemooncup Fri 03-May-13 01:10:20

or this:
“The rabbit of Easter. He bring of the chocolate.”
― David Sedaris, Me Talk Pretty One Day

'It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen'
1984, George Orwell

BalloonSlayer Fri 03-May-13 08:15:39

Not an exact quote, but I don't think that matters as she uses it a couple of times in different books about different characters.

"People who claim not to care anything about money are always jolly good at spending other people's" - St Jilly of Cooper.

Love this as have found it to be v. true.

tumbletumble Fri 03-May-13 08:35:55

Tartina if it's any consolation that would be a great ending!

NotTreadingGrapes Fri 03-May-13 08:46:33

My absolute favourite, the last paragraph from Gatsby already been done so I get to do another:

"I was there, standing across your path and because I was there, you met me, without any reasonable cause, without having wanted to do so; from that moment, you could choose to come closer to me or to run away from me, but you could not prevent me existing in your consciousness" Simone de Beauvoir, The Blood of Others

NotTreadingGrapes Fri 03-May-13 08:47:23

"If she had not wanted me to love her, she should not have looked at me."

Graham Green, I think, though have never managed to find the book. Someone sent it to me years ago.

HazleNutt Fri 03-May-13 09:05:20

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.

Animal Farm.

"No one is finally dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away -- until the clock he wound up winds down, until the wine she made has finished its ferment, until the crop they planted is harvested. The span of someone's life, they say, is only the core of their actual existence."

Reaper Man - Terry Pratchett.

(loving the Gatsby ones - I'm currently reading it for an exam so have been analysing it to death, it's lovely to see it through fresh eyes again!)

SciFiFan Fri 03-May-13 09:38:16

“But, Lizzy, you look as if you did not enjoy it. You are not going to be missish, I hope, and pretend to be affronted at an idle report. For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?”
Mr Bennett, Pride and Predjudice (my excuse for a good gossip)

'He looked up; and she was instantly scarlet, as though she had been dipped in boiling water. Through the confusion of her darkened eyes and drumming ears some enormous bulk seemed to stoop over her. Then the mist cleared. His eyes were riveted upon the manuscript again, but he breathed as though he had been running.
So, thought Harriet, it has happened,'
Gaudy Night, Dorothy L Sayers
The moment Harriet realised she was in love with Lord Peter.

oopsiedoopsie Fri 03-May-13 09:46:10

"It was all very well going on about pure logic and how the universe was ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact of the matter was that the Disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle and the gods had a habit of going round to atheists' houses and smashing their windows."

Mr Pratchett, The Colour of Magic

Whitewineformeplease Fri 03-May-13 09:55:13

Austen again...
"You pierce my soul." Oh Captain Wentworth! (Swoon...)

Oi, I love the questing vole too.

Often used in our house: "It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine." PG Wodehouse.

Not enough opportunities to use, as I rarely wish anyone dead - "And don't pass any open windows." Hotel New Hampshire, John Irving.

NotTreadingGrapes Fri 03-May-13 10:19:00

"He's come to take my soul, " she thought, "but when did I ever tell him he could have it?"

John Le Carre. Little Drummer Girl.

VioletGoesVintage Fri 03-May-13 11:45:07

"The long, lovely, blue days that lasted for ever, that still are. ..." Jean Rhys, Good Morning, Midnight

Minion Fri 03-May-13 12:00:28

Did my heart love till now?
Forswear it sight. For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night.

Romeo and Juliet. William Shakespeare.
<swoon>

gotthemoononastick Fri 03-May-13 12:31:35

The tiger's wife.Last sentence.
I had been taught long ago that there are some stories you keep to yourself.
Unforgettable book.

seeker Fri 03-May-13 12:32:50

I love Mr Bennet

"You have delighted us long enough. Let some other young lady make an exhibition of herself"

I use it a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now