i want to make a memory today - suggestion??

(167 Posts)
Mimstar Tue 02-Apr-13 10:48:56

Okay I want to do something spontaneous today. I want to do something with 4 year old DD which will make lovely memories, something unusual, something we don't normally do. Something a bit crazy.

Last time I felt like this, within an hour we has jumped on a train to the lake district and we boyght fresh bread and cheese and ate them by a lake, drawing everything we could see with our coloured pencils.

Unfortunately, its too cold to sit by a lake today ans I want to make a new memory smile needs to be cheaposh, budget of 30 quid!

Suggestions gratefully received!

ATouchOfStuffing Sun 07-Apr-13 20:30:37

We jumped on a bus today (fist bus we saw) and ended up by the sea. Had DD's hair cut for the first time and then fish and chips on the beach followed by a choc ice cream all to herself (not intentional but she refused me even a lick. Don't blame her!) and I let her get as messy as possible. She watched dogs catching balls all over the beach which she thought was amazing and then she conked out just before we got on the bus home smile Lovely day.

VictorTango Sun 07-Apr-13 13:08:11

Love the picture treasure hunt- will steal that for the summer and do in the garden I think!

MrsPennyapple Sun 07-Apr-13 10:00:56

Here's one for a rainy / freezing day. Give each person an "instrument" - a saucepan and wooden spoon, / a plastic bottle or metal tin with some gravel in / a pair of spoons / a bicycle bell, basically anything you can find that makes a noise. Put on some upbeat music and bash along to it. It's great if you all know the words but still fine if you don't, as long as it's cheerful music. It makes one hell of a racket but it's so much fun!

soundstrue Sun 07-Apr-13 09:05:25

DC too young to read so we do a picture treasure hunt. Have taken photos of household objects and hide next clue. The treasure is whatever sweets we have, chocolate coins are best but they're just as happy with haribo.
Also enjoy going to kids second hand market, gave them a couple of pound each and they can buy whatever they want.

VictorTango Sat 06-Apr-13 20:35:29

You have to not tell dh!

BordersMummy Sat 06-Apr-13 20:34:49

I'm an overplanner. So long as it's a secret from the DCs, you can still overplan a 'spontaneous' (and memorable) day. Perhaps get him to plan something as a surprise for the rest of you?

ATouchOfStuffing Sat 06-Apr-13 17:13:48

I had an over planning ex - only way to deal with it was to surprise them too. Can you do something on the way/way back from a usual route? Stop for a woodland walk on the way back from school or shops? Bluebell walks are usually memorable.

LondonKitty Sat 06-Apr-13 08:53:39

Inspirational thread! Thanks for starting it Mimstar!

Any suggestions for 'encouraging' DH with over-planning tendencies to be spontaneous with the children?!!!

VictorTango Sat 06-Apr-13 08:15:36

Blathers -Unbirthday party thread

smile

Thanks for the tips about the Ritz! DD1 would love the cakes! grin

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sat 06-Apr-13 02:11:02

Good beach in Essex - Walton if you want north Essex.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sat 06-Apr-13 02:09:38

My DS1 remembers stuff about trips out when he was just 2yo (memory like a flipping elephant that boy!). Stuff that nobody else would know, too, and I hadn't told him and was surprised when he turned round at 10 and said 'do you remember when we went xxx...' And I'm going "but you can't possibly remember that..." But he does!

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sat 06-Apr-13 02:01:54

My DD's favourite memory from being younger was driving to the beach AT NIGHT and eating MacDonalds on the sand under the stars with her friend and me and her friend's mum.

Still can't fathom what possessed us to do so, but the DC's were still awake at 10.30pm, so we jumped in the car.

smile

That was 11 years ago now, and she still occasionally mentions her midnight beach picnic!

janji Sat 06-Apr-13 01:55:25

Visit the ritz website for menus, dress codes etc. prices start at £45 and increase if you want champagne/extras.

janji Sat 06-Apr-13 01:52:37

Victor, tea at The Ritz is fab. Went twice last year (birthday hand Christmas) with dc and dh. Go hungry as they continually bring more and more cakes, sandwiches, pots of tea throughout. You will not feel out of place. The staff treat you so well and there are customers there from all walks of life (many of them there as a treat like we were. I've kept menu etc as keepsakes. The whole feel of the place is understated luxury and puts you at ease from the minute you step in!

ATouchOfStuffing Fri 05-Apr-13 20:57:45

Victor you can get offers for The Ritz on lastminute I think. I went with 2 hen parties a few years ago and seem to remember it was about £25 each...may well have changed now. It was lovely - be prepared for multiple tea choices, cakes and sandwiches and cream tea.

janji Fri 05-Apr-13 19:30:01

Blatherskite Fri 05-Apr-13 18:33:59

You start one and I'm there Victor grin

VictorTango Fri 05-Apr-13 18:23:18

Ooh blathers I would love to steal your ideas be inspired by you! Might have to do that on another thread rather than hijack this one though!

Blatherskite Fri 05-Apr-13 17:05:25

I've been planning my an unbirthday party for months! DD's birthday is in December and I'm just waiting until she's old enough to be able to convince her that moving her party by 6 months would be a good idea smile

VictorTango Fri 05-Apr-13 16:15:05

joshad - I want to do an Unbirthday Party! I was thinking of doing it August as its all winter birthdays in this house. I'm going to steal some your ideas, thank you smile

VictorTango Fri 05-Apr-13 16:07:42

How much is afternoon tea at the Ritz? Do you have to be very posh to go there?

I think I would just look out of place!

Squarepebbles Fri 05-Apr-13 10:39:15

We did something that turned into a memory yesterday.

My dc are 9,9 and 8 and I decided to take them into the city on the bus with their own rucksacks so I had zero kiddy detritus on my person.

We spent the entire day mooching.

Had a fab time in the museum.Dd wanted to do an art activity but the boys didn't so we left dd,bought the fab 50p treasure hunt and they went round the museum finding the artefacts and solving riddles.

Best £1 ever!!! They loved leading the way,having their own water,bag to stuff coat into etc.Dd had a great time,made some superb artwork and we kept popping back.

I showed them how to work out the bus timetable and let them walk slightly ahead.Spent some time sitting in the library stocking up then bought sausage rolls for the bus home.They were fab too when I said we couldn't afford Oggy pasties and had to backtrack out of the shop!smile

'Twas a lovely day and cost very little.

yotty Fri 05-Apr-13 10:33:37

I occasionally let my DSs, 11 and 9 years be 'king' for the day. They get to decide what we do, what we eat, where we go. They love bossing me around( I wonder where they get that from!?).
They like to cook, so one day I took them to the supermarket, let them choose what they were cooking for supper and then let them cook it. They loved it and so did we.

cocoplops Fri 05-Apr-13 10:08:41

We used to live near Wimbledon common and my Mum took us Womble hunting . We used to look for things the 'wombles' might've left for us. Sometimes it was a sweet once it was a few coins. Felt so magical! I still remember being in awe and the look on my DBros face when we found some money!!

Recent thing we've done is let the DC have sleepovers in each others bedrooms and/or beds (head to toe) - they love it!

BunnyDoIt Fri 05-Apr-13 08:55:51

My best buy this holiday has been a £1 pack of playing cards. I've introduced my DSs to a few simple games I remember from my childhood and they are hooked. We've spent every evening this week playing cards. I've also taught them a few patience games and they're playing those in preference to using their Nintendo DSs!

I have very happy memories of endless evenings spent in holiday cottages or caravans, playing Newmarket for halfpennies, and I hope this is the start of similar happy memories for my DSs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now