Does weetabix have a right way up? DOES WEETABIX HAVE A RIGHT WAY UP?

(163 Posts)
Maryz Sun 17-Mar-13 14:43:40

Well does it?

[baffled]

I don't have any here, and I need to know.

Ta ever so.

The Tesco value ones are more square at the ends.
And they're more hydrophobic (milkophobic??)grin grin

tumbletumble Sun 24-Mar-13 21:01:47

Love this thread smile

Tubegirl Sat 23-Mar-13 20:49:56

CutePuppy. To the doghouse with you. For shame!

CutePuppy Sat 23-Mar-13 20:43:11

I can't believe how long I have spent staring at photos of weetabix.

However, I have a confession to make......

I prefer them upside down! shock I would eat them the way of photo three. <hangs head in shame>

The 'no-crumb' one is easy - take unopened packet of Weetabix out of box. Put in bowl - slice packet at correct number of 'bixes, slice side of bit in bowl, shimmy paper out from underneath. Voila!

(Or you could keep the paper for some extra celluose either. grin)

ElectricErin Sat 23-Mar-13 18:43:12

Has anyone mentioned mini-weetabix in one of the previous 157 posts? Do they all need to be the right way up too?! Porridge has got to be a simpler option but wouldn't lead to such a brilliant discussion. Loads better than Question Time and Cyprus and Banks and stuff smilesmile

PixieWatson Sat 23-Mar-13 13:44:47

Yey! Weetabix Challenge! Do let me know if any of you manage it (which in turn will confirm you are some kind of superior being).

MaryZeZJezuzIzntZombiedYet Sat 23-Mar-13 10:21:04

I can't believe this is still going grin

Tubegirl Sat 23-Mar-13 09:16:31

<dons coat to brave rain in order to purchase Weetabix for the Weetabix Challenge>

PixieWatson Sat 23-Mar-13 08:51:12

Oh gosh! I'm so pleased someone's brought up Weetabix! I love it, however, the issues with it are endless. Firstly, yes of course....
It has to be the right way up!
It has to have the right amount of milk so it is not too soggy......
Not too crunchy either though!
If you have more than one, and not a large enough bowl for them both to lie flat then you have to manoeuvre them in the milk to assure they both attain the same level of not to soggy/not too crunchiness.
You have to eat them quick enough that they don't go soggy/slow enough that they are not under soaked.
And last, but most certainly not least, it is impossible to get them out of the packet without spilling crumbs!! I have presented many of my friends and family with my so called 'WEETABIX CHALLENGE'' and not one of them can do it. So I challenge you all! Can you get a Weetabix out of the packet and into your bowl without spilling a crumb?!!
The challenges are endless but its so worth it when you get your perfect Weetabix at the end of it....mmmmmmmm!

Tubegirl Sat 23-Mar-13 07:23:04

But if you're going to apply butter to anything, surely there are many other things that you would reach for before you felt the need to butter a bix? Give me a croissant in preference any day!

Not at all particularly when the butter slab is nearly as large as the biscuit, it's quite easy to eat, bar the odd thousand crumbs.

EchoBitch Fri 22-Mar-13 22:21:27

DS1 had to have his crisps opened 'upside over' confused

CatOnMyLap Fri 22-Mar-13 22:19:12

Moonlight, weetabix and butter? How do you get it down? Isn't it like eating sawdust?!

Actually, having tried it, while not as nice as just Weetabix and butter, it's nowhere near as bad as it should be. The tartness of the marmalade does go well with the sweetness of the Weetabix. grin

CatOnMyLap Fri 22-Mar-13 21:22:53

This thread has me very worried. I am vair fussy indeed about which way up my Weetabix go, but for me it's not about whether the uppermost surface is flat or domed. For me it is all about the consistency of the flakes on each biscuit. There is almost always a side with nasty big, loosely packed, bumpy flakes, and a side with small, pleasing smooth flakes. I need the side with the smooth flakes to be on top. I have passed this important distinction on to DS, who also shares my refusal to eat soggy Weetabix.

I don't know if the smooth side is the same as the domed side, and if it isn't I'm now worried I'm going to have competing weetabix fetishes to reconcile.

And to the person who eats Weetabix with butter and marmalade: that is very, very wrong.

MaryZeZJezuzIzntZombiedYet Fri 22-Mar-13 19:09:23

Of course you will Glaikit.

I will be publishing next year (as a co-author with showy, who I will of course credit with the original idea).

Umleila, I hate to tell you, but your research is completely irrelevant, as we are talking about true Weetabix, not Weetabix-like-substances, which are of course the subject of an entirely unrelated scientific investigation (which you are free to carry out).

grin

Will I get a credit in the research maryz? Seeing as I carried out the experiment! grin

Umleila Fri 22-Mar-13 16:59:17

On the subject of weeties (generic name for all cereals in our house), has anyone else noticed that the Waitrose own-brand faux weetabix has a message inside the pack lid saying: 'The shape of this product has been registered as a community trade mark.'

That means it's a registered trade mark in the EU. But how can you register a shape? And if you can, how come all the copycat weetabixes are not sued by Weetabix itsef for copying the shape? Or has Waitrose registered its own? And why? Is it any different from the original Weetabix shape? I think we should be told!

Anyone know someone in the Waitrose legal dept who can tell us the truth?

(sorry, going out to shop for a life tomorrow)

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 22-Mar-13 16:58:25

Oooh, we made it onto the talk round up (of course, what with it being such an important thread)

Lilly grin

LillyofWinchester Fri 22-Mar-13 11:29:52

Oh Showy, I know how you feel, I'm the same with cornflakes, I have to have them all the right way up before I can have eat a bowl. Breakfast takes ages...

dawntigga Fri 22-Mar-13 11:14:28

What happens if you crumble weetabix up and add sugar then milk so it's like porridge but actually nice?

WeetabixRebelTiggaxx

Tubegirl Wed 20-Mar-13 22:00:20

MaryZ it has forever changed the way in which I view Weetabix. In fact I will probably never be able to open a box again without considering whetherthe box is the right way up let alone the contents.

MaryZeZJezuzIzntZombiedYet Wed 20-Mar-13 21:55:00

Are you calling my thread strange Jolly shock?

This is a vital piece of scientific research, which will (one day) be published and accepted as universally important.

[possibly]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now